Snowy, Cold Monday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Snowy, Cold Monday

Postby Colliemom » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 am

Late Morning here at the 45th. Cold and snowy Weather back again. But mostly just an inch. We need the moisture regardless of what kind. Temps are mid 20’s but the wind is cold. O’Sharon, don’t pack the long Johns away just yet :lol:

Taking a break here before fixing some lunch. I’m working in my bathroom installing the casings I cut last week. But before installing some of them, I sanded the edges of the door frames so the edge of the walls will look smooth against the casings and put a coat of paint on. By the time I have some lunch, it will be dry and I can finish that project. I ant to had to town around 3:30 to go to a Public Open House/Meeting that MDOT (MI Dept. Of Transportation) is holding to go over the I-75 Business loop construction which is scheduled to start April 1st. They are tearing out and reconstructing 2.2 miles of 5 lane of road and installing a Roundabout at one intersection, and non motorized pathways on both sides of the road. City is also adding some streetscapes improvements. That will of course be a mess as construction zones are. Fortunately there are ways around it, but I still want to see what’s up.

Tina, glad you had a good trip and visit with friends in FL. Glad the man in the recliner is doing better. Sounds like you are on the right track to keep the body from falling apart as you say. Definitely something we need to do as we age. Dogs and I are out walking every day. Average is 2 1/4 miles roughly a day. Sometimes we do a shorter one. Beth getting her eye surgery todsy, so she will be out of the loop here for a short bit. Cheryl, I certainly hope the manufactuer gets those things fixed. That’s crazy. Karen sounds like you are making progress on the raised bed. I’m goi gvto redo the bd n front of my house, soon as weather allows me to get out there. Also want to build another raised bed like I made my neighbors and plant some veggies.

Tine to fix some lunch so I can get back to the project. Have a nice day everyone.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Snowy, Cold Monday

Postby Irmi » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:30 pm

Hi Sue and all!

Sue, I only wish I was as talented as you to do all the things around the house you do. Anita, I hope your brother continues with the good results with his treatments. Velda, is there any time frame when Chris might be going home? Beth, good luck today with hopes things go the way they should. Barbie, I'm glad your co-worker texted you with an apology. O'Sharon, Has Buddy been on his new treadmill? Anne, I can only imagine the traffic when you went to see the eclipse. I've heard that lots of folks from the resort here will be going somewhere to watch it as well. Tina, I'm so glad you were able to visit our friends in the panhandle. Karen, I'm looking forward to the reports on your raised garden. Carol, I hope Bill's eyes continue to improve. Martha, how far is Maurice from your house? Cheryl, I feel for you with the list of problems you are facing. Good luck with that. Shirl, how are things on the shore?

It was 70 degrees when I got up this morning but we have another cold front moving into the area and we'll be in the low 50's tomorrow morning. I'll be wearing layers for my morning walk. But for the past week, we've had delightful weather, topping off in the low to mid 80's with sunshine. We've been able to sit in the pergola and read or whatever. I'm always looking forward to seeing what all of you are doing.

I've been experimenting in the kitchen and made flounder topped with crab imperial. It was some kind of good!
Irmi

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:40 pm

Good morning. Been outside for a while, had to empty the bags of compost out of the back of my car. Hauling the tree debris out to the raised bed this morning. Have a little more trimming to do yet but no hurry. Then I need to put up my "anti bird nesting" foam in the crevices of my carport awning. Dont want bird poop on my car. I was too late last year as the mother had laid eggs so I just couldnt evict her then LOL Time for some lunch and then will get back out there for a bit. Taking it kind of easy today as my back was hurting last night. So need to remind myself it all doesnt have to be done in a day!!!! I like to finish my projects quickly tho, I like instant gratification.

Going to have salmon patties and brussels sprouts for dinner. Easy dinner.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:00 pm

Just a quick note to say, so far also well. I'm looking forward to having both eyes done, etc. Right now my done eye is still so dilated I look like I'm on drugs big time. I took the lens out of that side of my glasses and that way can do most things. I don't think reading a book, etc will be done again until both eyes are done and I have readers. But obviously I can read as I read this post and am on my phone. But I know I'm reading with the not done eye.

It cooled off here today and rain came in also. It looks like it's clearing up. Back into the 80's on Thursday. My neighbors tried to walk Ty when we came home but he wanted me lol. So one or both of them will come in a bit when I get him out again. They were given orders when they picked me up that I shouldn't be left alone for 24 hours and we had to have a talk. Lol I'll agree to reasonable things, but I'm not moving into their place or them mine today. And they are driving me to my follow-up appt tomorrow, then I've told them unless there's a problem, they are off the hook until we repeat all this next week. So here I sit on my sofa with my electric throw.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:02 pm

What you really need when you have surgery is a friend who will check on you, but will also lie when you are obviously doing fine on your own!! When I had my eyes done, they wanted me to have someone stay with me for 24 hours, and i told them I could not do that and that help was just outside my door if I needed anything. And, it was really all fine!

I accomplished two things today: finished making a new sun-blocking drape for my bunkhouse window. The rest of my windows have MCD shades but the sun shines through since I washed it several months ago. Second task is got my new toilet installed so had to mop floors and shake rugs, plus clean up bathroom a bit and replace towels and rug. Whew.

Now, I just need to print some documents so I can get them notorized tomorrow when I leave this campground. Am looking forward to it cooling down and with less humidity tomorrow and the next week or so.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Beth so glad all went well. I know hospitals and surgery centers always give you the "dont be alone speech" But as long as you have firends or neighbors to check on you you are good. After my surgery when I got released from the hospital they gave me the same speech LOL I was like you just leave me be, if I need something I will call. I am kind of a hermit when I am sick anyway. I just like to curl up and heal. A phone call is not invasive to me but moving in for the day NOPE I have always been like this my whole life. I know others like to wallow in ailments but I do not enjoy poor health. I whine about the little things ya know like my aching back which is feeling better or a headache etc Life is funny just glad you are taking it easy.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Beth, I’m so glad all went smoothly with the first eye. Hopefully all will go well next week when you have the other eye done. Take it easy and let yourself heal.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby JudyJB » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 pm

Karen, I am also a hermit when I am sick. My older son is a wonderful caretaker, but he used to drive me nuts when he was living with me! Hovered over me all the time, which in some cases would be nice, but I just wanted to sleep.

Oh, and Beth, just be careful walking for a while so you don't misjudge distances and trip!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:30 pm

Beth, glad things went well today. When I had my steroid shot in my back, they told me that too. I had my nurse cats to look after me and neighbors I could call if needed.

Karen, you could open up a veggie stand out front of your place this summer! With all that garden space, you will have an abundant crop of whatever you grow!

This morning it started raining lightly. I went to do a haircut in the park and chatted with them for awhile. After I got home, the rain had stopped but I saw some dark clouds heading this way, and then the thunder started! I love thunderstorms!! :D After about an hour of that, the thunder stopped and the rain started again. It got pretty heavy but not for too long. Now I see blue sky. It is cooler today but is supposed to be in the mid 80's all week. I might head down to Anza Borrego in a few days to check out the wildflowers. I guess they are at about peak right now. With this rain and warmer temps, they should really look great! Oh, now I hear rain again, so there must be a cloud above me that I can't see. :lol:

I have decided to get another epidural shot. I have also decided to take a month or so off from work to let my back heal while I get the shot and PT. I figure that working while going thru that, will undermine any progress being made. My back needs time to heal and get stronger. Yesterday was my last day at work until May. I will continue the hydro massages a couple times a week (they feel SO good!) to keep my back muscles relaxed. Just got the OK today from my insurance to start scheduling the PT.

Might make a short trip to Tucson in a couple weeks to visit my brother and SIL. The wedding is next weekend so will give them a week or so to relax after that. They both have been thru a lot lately health wise, too.

I stopped taking the ADHD meds because of work, but now will start on them again daily and see how it goes. I cancelled my appt with that doctor for tomorrow because he had ordered a blood test along with the EKG, but didn't specify what he wanted tested so my regular dr is waiting to hear back from him with what he wants before I can go get it done, so that is why I canceled this appointment. I have another one scheduled for 2 weeks from now so hopefully can get the bloodwork done before then and then I will know more about how the meds are working and if the side effects get better.

The 5 minute downpour is over but more clouds moving in. Good day to relax on my bed with my fuzzy blanket, and play on the internet, with my cats hanging out.

Have a good day!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Judy, with my osteoporosis I've had to be careful for a long time. Hikes I used to do I don't anymore. My neighbor walked theire dog with Ty and I a bit ago. And he bent down to pick up Ty's poop. Lol, that's a nice plus. We'll do one more walk together tonight. Before bedtime I'll carefully take Ty out quickly to pee. Since I got up at before 5, I'm expecting an early bedtime, so he might not need that last trip out.

Irmi whenever you talk food, my waters. And Karen, I cannot wait to see your plantings.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:37 pm

Barbie, did your doctor say what he/ she expects to “heal” following the shot. And you might ask your PT for what routine of exercises you might have to continue with to best support your aging back…. My PTs specifically said that the shots don’t change much of the processes going on in my back but… they buy time for the PT exercises to begin strengthening the muscles that sometimes can help hold the spine where it might hurt less….
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

did you find colors a bit brighter Beth? I think one thing I really noticed was I can actually look at headlights without looking away.... glad your neighbors are there to give a helping "hand"
Barbie the other day Tina mentioned how she is doing exercises in the pool (YMCA I believe) as it doesn't hurt as much ... I am sure Tina could retell the why's might be something to look into. although what you are doing does sound good
I'm with Beth when Irmi talks food I sure wish I was near by
we have been melting now the driveway has a slab of ice on it when out to take the garbage at least out to the can and if it looks ok the can down to the street it appeared really icy ... however I nudged the can and it was frozen in place... I guess if the can was terribly full and if the desire was huge to take it down I could have :oops: but neither was the case and I really didn't want to slip and fall just to get the can down to the street... I weird at times mom just doesn't seem quite with it but she will generally know that today is when we take the can down and often will ask if it was done... I'm not sure she fully accepted my excuse... niece stopped by to change the dressing but since I take her to the dr tomorrow didn't feel like it needed to be done but I told her why the can wasn't down to the street she totally agreed with how icy it is and that it was a good idea not to take it down... my story and I'm sticky to it lol
fold and put away clothes... hung up others so that is done...
did some word search listened to a pod caste or two
the day just goes by just realized how late it is
heard about the traffic jams from the last eclipse we just had to walk out to the back yard :lol:
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 pm

Sheila, can someone pick up some salt to put down on your driveway for you? You really don't want to slip and fall on that stuff! You can do major damage from that. :o

The shot will alleviate the pain so I can do the exercises easier with PT. I will ask about the swimming idea. I am not a very good swimmer so I need something that will be easy and safe so I don't drown! :shock: There might be a pool noodle involved or a life jacket! :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm

PT should be able to give you specific exercises to at home. What I do at my Y are activities that I have adapted based on what my PT's were recommending was good for my back. My point is that the shot only temporarily relieves the pain but depending upon what your back issues are you need to discover how to strengthen and maintain what you need to strengthen and maintain (if your back injury or deterioration allows) so that you don't just keep your spine and nervous system inflamed. And depending upon your specific issues maintenance might mean certain daily choices for the rest of your life. Younger individuals can injure or straini their back and rest and medications can put them back whole. Again, depending upon what you know your back issues to be, some of us older folks are never going to get a new spine or discs....And, yes, daily exercises are not fun....... But I have dogs that really want me to keep moving....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Pooker » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Barbie - Here are two exercises I do with a swim noodle in the pool: Leaning my arms on the noodle, I pedal an imaginary bicycle back and forth across the pool. Then, sitting on the noodle like a swing, I "row" forward across the pool and reverse the rowing to go backwards. Depending on how many trips you do, the results are pretty good (as you'll find out from your muscles if you make too many trips back and forth!).

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Next

Return to Morning Coffee