Hot Sunday in FLorida!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Hot Sunday in FLorida!

Postby JudyJB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:12 pm

But it will be cooling off by Tuesday and staying in 70s rest of the week. Since no one else opened this, I am making a short post and then going for a walk before the mosquitos come out and attack me!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

St Patrick’s Day

Postby Othersharon » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:28 pm

Good afternoon. Although it’s St Patrick’s Day it’s just another day for me. Never could get into it! I woke up about 4 this morning but couldn’t get back to sleep so finally got up. I figured Buddy needed to go out so despite the heavy rain coming down we went out. He got wet but I managed to stay under the umbrella! Finally did go back to bed and slept for a couple more hours. I don’t like it when I have nights like that. Cheryl, sure hope you will be able to get all of the issues resolved with your new home in a somewhat timely manner. BJ, I was thinking about what you said about your eyes having problems after your cataract surgery. I had a problem with my one eye blurring and my optometrist said that there was something with the lens that was put in my eye. Can’t remember exactly what it was called but ended up back at the office that had done the surgery and he used a laser and shot (for lack of a better word) it in my eye about 3 times. Painless and it cleared up whatever the problem was. At least I didn’t have to have surgery and used drops for about a week after. Haven’t had any problems since and it’s been quite awhile. All I use now are glasses for reading. I’ve thought about getting transition glasses but never followed up on it. I have readers scattered all over the place, the house, the car and the rv. Buddy and I went for a walk around the block yesterday plus I worked on getting him used to the treadmill. I think he did a bit better with it. At least he didn’t have the panicked look in his eyes. So I taking that as a step in the right direction. We really need to get out for a walk yet today and think we’ll just walk around a few blocks close to the house. The wind is brutal again so today, temp says 49 but it sure feels colder. This week is forecasted to be more winter temps again. I’ll have to wait for spring to come back around! I really enjoyed not having to bundle up every time I went outside. Short lived though it was. Not much else going on here so I’ll just wish you all a good day. Time to get back to the chore I was doing. Break’s over!
Othersharon

Re: Hot Sunday in FLorida!

Postby chalet05 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:03 pm

We are on the 2nd of 4 days of 70 degree weather - then back to 50s. I've taken the vacuum cleaner apart to clean it, washed another Sling cover, and did a quick hose of the cockpit to remove cat prints. Will go to car wash tomorrow. Manager didn't send out renewal invitation when she is required to (she's so lazy), but the rent wasn't raised and daughter is now my roommate. Never did have paperwork to fill out for roommate but maybe I'll get vehicle permits anyway!

Cheryl, I would be so unhappy with all those problems! Judy and Velda, glad your sons are improving. My brother had chemo Monday with so side effects! Another treatment tomorrow with another drug. Beth, wishing you well with the cataract surgery. All I can say is laser surgery has to be so much better than actual surgery and recovery years ago.

I got my planter out of the patio closet yesterday. Guess I should have brought in inside because one type of bulb (hyacinth? crocus?) sprouted into long snakes. Oops! Others are just coming up.
Anita
chalet05

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:34 pm

I am not a big celebrator of any of the holidays but I always remember St Patrick's day because it was my mother's birthday. (She died in 1985 of a heart attack.) She was a real McCoy, the red headed, freckled Irish girl and considered St. Patrick's day her national holiday. Her maiden name was Ryan and her mother's was Laughlin so she can by her spirit honestly. Then again her slightly younger sister, Frances, claimed the Scottish part of the Scots/Irish part of that heritage. I wear my mother's freckles in her memory every day and it only dawns on my occasionally when I notice someone else with a lot of freckles on their arms or face that we really are a minority.

Nothing exciting to tell stories about here. The trip to Florida went well. Old friends were visited and a newer RoadTrek friend slowed down on her way south for a visit in Southern GA on the way as I was heading north. The RoadTrek ran smoothly and gives me confidence to plan on a few additional future outings. The man in the Recliner had his "Reverse Shoulder surgery" on his left shoulder a little over two weeks ago (the reason I had to make it back to Ohio by the end of February) and apparently he has been released to start driving again this coming week. He had originally told be it might take up to two months.

Jane's puppies are continuing to start their show careers and getting noticed. And I am continuing to work on trying to keep my body from falling apart by going to the YMCA, attending water classes (My body does better moving in water without the extra gravity). I have even be able participate in a Tai Chi class but we are not ready to take it to a nearby public park. (Invisiton the public park in San Francisco filled in the morning with neighbors out practicing their discipline together each morning.) In January I remembered how to actually swim and have been able to increase the number of laps from 4 to 20 (about 30 minutes) The magical part is that nothing in my back hurts when I am swimming but it has taking me awhile to build up my lung capacity to breath. So, I am guessing that cardio strength is improving also. Still not comfortable taking dogs on long walks but Lark remains hopeful.

Taxes have been filed, daffodils are blooming and I am continuing to drop a few pounds between trying to eat more healthy foods and appropriate proportions and exercising consistently at the Y. Enough has come off that moving is more comfortable over all.

I will let you know when and if I decide where to drive off to on the next adventure. Oh, I am trying to locate a local day trip that will place me in the range of the coming total eclipse on April 8th. I don't want to deal with excessive traffic, but with the RoadTrek I do have the ability to boondock. Campgrounds, as you would expect, are already booked by now...... Believe me, BJ, I check out the Carbondale area.

I do attempt to catch up on happenings from time to time and think of those of you dealing with life's complications. It is particularly difficult with is involves family members and not ourselves and so much of our job is to be present for them.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:49 pm

Good afternoon. Beem busy today puttering outside in the garden. It is a gorgeous day so I felt very inspired. Took my little saw to the Japanese Maple tree that is about 35 years old in the front yard. Not sure if it looks better or worse LOL but soon the leaves will be coming and any flaws will be camouflaged. Went to Home Depot and bought 10 bags of organic soil for the big raised bed. Brought that home and unloaded it, then headed to Lowes for my Organic compost 10 bags and they are still in the back of my car LOL Those things are heavy. Thank goodness for my gorilla cart. Now Lowe's is right next door and Home Depot is about 1/4 mile down the road. Lucky me...or maybe not LOL This weather inspires me tho. But it is coming to a halt Wednesday. Oh well at least a few days does wonders for my psyche. Tina glad you had a good trip and also that your hubby is doing well. Beth good luck tomorrow. I am sure you will do fine.

My back is complaining. I have a few blood spots where the Maple tree attacked me My muscles need the exercise for sure. Mainly just because I havent been that active. I will get back in shape just pacing myself tho. Slow and steady she goes. The downside is the pollen count is high and I have teary eyes and a dry tickle cough so took an allergy pill and drinking lots of fluids. This too shall pass.

Mocha time I am sure
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 pm

Good evening gals!

Work was kind of slow/steady today so that was better than last Sunday! Did stop for my hydro massage afterward since I was hurting some.

Tina, glad you had a nice trip with fun visits. I celebrate the Bohemian in me (25%). I think that is where I get my independent, wandering, gypsy spirit! :D The rest of me is Swedish (50%) and German (25%).

I think there was a St Patty's Day parade here today but I wasn't home to see it. I know there was a dance last night, the last one of the season. I missed that too.

Karen, how big are your planter boxes?? :shock: You are hauling a lot of dirt, trees, etc around enough to fill up a whole swimming pool! I was imagining a couple planters about 2 ft X 6 ft.

After a couple of cold rainy days here, the sun was out today and mid 70's.

Nothing much else happening here. Have a good evening!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:30 pm

Barbie ha ha I am not hauling trees around, just a few small branches. My latest raised bed is 4ft x 8ft x 2ft deep. I am doing the Hugelkultur garden in it. Takes alot of dirt for that. This is the one I had to go get the logs for and will throw all my debri in, then will start layering with the manure, compost, vermiculite then the last layer will be the soil. I have 2 smaller ones 6ft x 2ft x 1ft deep. They are well established and have soil but need compost and some other amendments added. These I have had now for a couple of years. Then I have several large tubs that will also need new soil and compost mixed in them. I need lots more bags of soil before I am finished LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:14 am

went to church came home visited with a couple that stop by most Sundays fixed a small bite to eat thinking we would be eating early took a nap and read scriptures decided to just give mom cheese and cracker and summer sausage to snack on while I went back to church for a broadcast she didn't eat much a slice of sausage and 1/2 a strawberry didn't take her pills when I got back I popped some popping corn so we both indulged in that some time she took her pills which included a pain pill now I don't know when she took it so not sure when to give her the one I normally give her at 12 that one as codeine in it but now not sure what to do... guess I will figure it out or just not give it to her... or give it too her and she will really sleep maybe...
Tina it was good to hear from you glad that you had a good trip
Beth good luck tomorrow
Anita glad that the brother had a better experience with the chemo
Karen it sounds like a lot of work you will have to let us know how it works out
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby Redetotry » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 am

Sharon thanks for the information about your cataract surgery issues. Since my surgery I've had the YAG laser procedure done on both eyes but while it cleared up my vision I still have problems. I have an appointment next week so hoping for some suggestions.

Tina you said "I am trying to locate a local day trip that will place me in the range of the coming total eclipse on April 8th. I don't want to deal with excessive traffic, but with the RoadTrek I do have the ability to boondock. Campgrounds, as you would expect, are already booked by now...... Believe me, BJ, I check out the Carbondale area."
I doubt there are any places around as most have been booked since it was announced. I have one idea that I'll check out for you. However it is located in the middle of a huge festival. I think I'll stay at home it will be especially crazy here as the city is putting on a big street party. This is one of the venues and while I have no objections to 'using' an open party where most will already be in an altered state brings back memories of the Halloween parties of the 80's and 90's when they went form peaceful family fun to riots. . Image
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 am

The fairground camp grounds are all within an hours drive of the house. I have camped in all of them at dog show at one time of another. I wanted to go in Sunday evening and stay parked until Tuesday morning. As you noted to avoid the traffic….
Last edited by BirdbyBird on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am

For those thinking about the eclipse. . .

I went to the eclipse that happened here on the west coast a couple of years back. . . I think it was in 2017. It was a bit of a drive for me (432 miles - Madras, Oregon).

At the very last minute I decided to go - I think it was only a week or so before it happened. I got very lucky after spending at least a full day searching for reservations - a state park that I had checked several times before suddenly had a vacancy, and I snapped it up.

It was a total eclipse, as I remember. Really astonishing and amazing, and I am, and always will be, glad beyond measure that I went. It was one of those life experiences not to be missed.

The traffic, however, was something else. For the afternoon after the eclipse I had made reservations at a campground about 35 - 40 miles north of Madras. The eclipse happened about 8:00 a.m., if I remember correctly, I figured a quick drive to the campground and then all day to relax.

Well. . . not so much.

It literally took me four hours to drive the thirty-five miles - on a two-lane road, bumper-to-bumper traffic the entire way. With a LOT of angry people, doing weird things with their driving in the crush. Middle-finger-pointing, fist shaking, cursing, honking, unsafe lane changes, near fender-benders - the works.

AGAIN: Four hours to drive thirty-five miles.

Luckily, I had no where to go, and all day to get there (except the campground, and I didn't need to be at the campground until late afternoon). The campground, when I finally got there, was in a low spot on the banks of the Deschutes river, and I could see the bridge over the river from my camping spot. The bumper-to-bumper traffic crossing the bridge was still going strong well past dark as headlights came on.

I was VERY glad to be out of it.

I was thankful that I had made a reservation at that particular place - my next destination was Mt. St. Helens volcano in Washington state. Which would have been an easy day's drive from Madras, usually. Definitely not on that day.

For any of you planning to go to the current coming eclipse, I suggest that you plan on staying overnight at the same spot wherever it is you plan to view the eclipse from.

If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed the rest of that day and following night right there in Madras.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:04 pm

I also went to see the eclipse in 2017. I left the get together we had in Northern California but headed to Idaho to view it. No traffic problems. If any of you have the opportunity to see the upcoming eclipse, I very highly recommend it. It was an amazing and unforgettable experience to see daylight become almost completely dark in just minutes.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Return to Morning Coffee