Wednesday March 13

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Wednesday March 13

Postby Shirlv » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 am

Morning All, sun is shining and the wind has stopped . Looking forward to warmer temps but not the increase in tree pollen. Spent two hours in a Verizon store yesterday. Finally rid of Straight Talk and now have. 3 year contract with Verizon. A new IPhone and a larger monthly payment. Tried to change the time on the alarm clock and somehow changed to military time and can not see well enough to figure how to correct. I could ask family for help but I would rather buy a clock that is easy to use but everything is high tech.

Need help, saw an add for a device you point at text and it reads out loud. I wasn’t quick enough to get the name or anything else. If anyone knows the name or how to locate I would appreciate the information. Thanks. Be safe
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: Wednesday March 13

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:45 am

Good morning gals!

Went to my appt yesterday. It is all the way across the valley near downtown Palm Springs. The dr suggested another shot in my back but he would inject in the side of my spine instead of in the back of my spine like he did before. He thinks it will last longer. I told him I would think about it. He ordered me a muscle relaxer and some more PT sessions.

After that, I went into downtown Palm Springs to do some retail therapy. Got a couple books and a really pretty top for summer. Oh, and of course, some English Toffee that I always get when I am there.

On the way to my dr appointment along the freeway, I saw a beautiful sand field with a ton of wildflowers! (mostly Sand Verbena and Desert Sunflowers). On the way home I pulled off the freeway near there and took the service road to that spot. Pulled over and took some photos. So gorgeous! Here are a few photos I took...(there are mountains in the background but you can't see them because of all the dust in the air.

Today I will see my primary dr for a check-up. I need to have her check my ears. They are plugged up and I have occasional pain in each of them.

The winds yesterday were really strong again and I couldn't even see the mountains because of all the dust and sand in the air. :shock: Some roads I was on had small sand dunes blowing across them. Last night I thought the windows were gonna blow in! Now they are saying that the winds will be picking up even more today and tomorrow with a high wind warning here! :o . I want to go down to Anza Borrego soon to see the wildflowers there but not with this wind!
I hope it calms down soon!

Have a good day!
Last edited by BarbaraRose on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:53 am

BarbaraRose wrote: I want to go down to Anza Borrego soon to see the wildflowers there but not with this wind!
I hope it calms down soon!

Good morning, Barbie, and all who follow. Nice flower photos to start off the day! Thank you.

I went to Anza Borrego once, many years ago now. I found it beautiful and amazing, in a kind of eerie sort of way. I think I was there in early summer - after the wildflowers, but before it got too hot.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

Hope you get to make the trip. It isn't too far from you, is it?

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:05 pm

Just about an hour south of here so not too far.

That is a cool photo!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm

I also got tired of putting on and taking off reading glasses after my cataract surgery, so I took my old frames and had reading glasses put on the bottom and a tiny bit of astigmatism correction in the top, then had them made with transition lenses so they would also act as sunglasses. With the reading glasses, I had to take them off to drive, but put them on to see my GPS or read a map--too awkward while driving. It added some expense, but made my life much easier to just wear glasses most of the time. And I learned how easy it is to misplace reading glasses!! Funny story--I was at grocery stone one day and the man next to me in the canned foods dept had forgotten his reading glasses, so he was taking photos of the ingredients on the can and reading them on his phone!

I apparently had the wrong date for my son's first day back teaching. It was today, and he went off in a t-shirt that said "Straight Outta Surgery." He teaches high school biology and obviously teenagers! I am sure they will want to know why he was out for so long. His wife texted me that he was eating like a piggy and had already gained 5 pounds. (Son is 6' 3" and had dropped to 180, which is low for him. He looks better at about 200 with his height.)

Looks like my toilet has arrived, so as soon as I finish my late breakfast/lunch, i will dump my tanks and drive to the entrance booth to pick it up. I also need to run out to drop something off at SS office. Sore throat is gone and feeling a lot better. Head still is a bit stuffy, and I am tired all the time, but I keep testing negative for COVID, at least.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby JudyJB » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:01 pm

Shirl, for that device, call your nearest hospital that has a dept that handles eye surgery and ask if they have a low vision department that can help with assistive devices. My mother went to one at U of Michigan Eye Institute and they had people who could help with vision aids.

Even better--I just did a Google Search on "low vision aids that read text aloud" and got a whole page of pen-like items that read to you. Some are really expensive but might be paid for my insurance if you go through a low-vision hospital center.

And Barbie, definitely time for a trip to Borrego Springs. I want to go down there when I am in California next winter.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Beautiful flowers, Barbie.

TT is moved to it's new home.
Nothing fancy but it works for me. I didn't do much other than get it plugged in and fridge turned on. Tomorrow, hopefully, the fridge will have cooled down.

Shirl, I think those devices are called pen scanners or pen readers.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:34 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:

Just about an hour south of here so not too far.

That is a cool photo!

Thanks, Barbie.

Borrego is a cool place. The photo is not mine - I think I found it on the State Park website.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Shirlv » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:13 pm

Thanks Beth, of course Amazon sell the pens. Will get #1 gd to explain operation, sounds like it would help reading mail. Glad to is in knits new site. Looks like home to me. Just needs a pot of petunias. lol Judy, thanks for info but since I no longer drive and family still works full time I try not ask more of them than necessary. They have other members that call on them too. This Friday I get poked in both eyes so wearing my BA sweatshirt.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:17 pm

Good afternoon. Had a busy morning. Took my car in for it's first oil change. Oil was low but not dangerous they said. It takes synthetic oil of course LOL but they had a coupon for 24.99 off still cost $55 but all is well now. Today is a decent day, no rain, no wind. Cloudy but lots of sun breaks too. It is getting way better for the next 7 days so will get some yard work done and that makes me happy. Did a couple of other errands while I was out and picked up a burger and fries at In n Out on my way home. Cant beat the price of $6 and it is a decent burger. I cut up my strawberries today and there wasnt a bad one in the batch....unusual. These are nice ripe ones too. I just bought a small basket of them so they dont go to waste.
I will probably just have a light dinner and a dish of strawberries for dinner.

Beth glad you got all moved and plugged in. Looks like a decent park, I would stay there LOL I dont need fancy because I never use the amenities anyway. I dont like public spas or pools. A holdover from my microbiology class I am sure.
Was just outside trying to decide what to flowers/bushes to plant in my tubs this year. I am moving them to the other end of the yard. Laid down my weed barrier and once I empty the soil in them into the large raised bed I will place them and then put my mulch around them. I dont really like rose plants but a neighbor has them in his pots and he said they grow great with very little care...ummmm we shall see. He has had them in his for several years. Will still look for alternatives.
Barbie loved your photos of the flowers so pretty. Makes me itchy to get in the dirt and plant LOL but alas way too soon here. We will be down to freezing tomorrow morning. I do have daffodils in my front yard tho and they are pretty right now.

Time for a mocha and feed the dog pretty soon here
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:07 pm

Beautiful pics of desert flowers Barbie. And you trailer looks right at home in your new spot Beth. Stairs look great!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 am

I think that the spring forward is still an issue for me I read way to late but the mind said but it's only (an hour earlier than the clock said) it didn't say the same when time to get up :o heard the door bell went to answer it and it was the niece ( I can glance out the window of my bedroom and see who is at the door... so hurried and caught her before she did something (she had come for the car) asked if she would come over and bandage mom's foot so doing that tomorrow after I give her a shower it's way too hard to get off the floor and to bed over is a real problem after awhile so this will work... and I need to remember to call and make an appointment for the dr to see her next Friday as I also want her to go with me to help in the parking lot we will hope that it continues to melt... can't believe how much it has melted in almost a week can see the legs of the shortest flamingo lol
they removed the snow for the roof so lots going on around here tonight and it really stresses mom had to tell her several times what all those people were doing then she will see snow flying around it will be interesting to look at it when I go out next time...
I need to take myself to the yarn shop and get some yarn for the great grandson's hat think I've decided on what color to look for the pattern is called starry night he really likes orange so thinking the inside color will be a dark blue then make a pom from both colors now if they have the colors that I want :roll:
since I woke up so late (I went back to bed after niece woke me up) we had the enchilada's I had bought for lunch was going to make taco salad for supper but I don't have the ingredients for the taco seasoning so thought well then we will have blt's but only 3 slices of bacon cooked not enough ended up with opening a can of soup for supper if I'd looked for stuff before I vacuumed I'd perhaps been able to figure something else out but oh well we ate so need to figure out tomorrow's supper not sure what it will could make meat loaf I guess since we had soup tomorrow don't want to repeat it that soon
bet it's a sigh of relief to get the tt situated will you move over to it after your eye surgery?
loved the pictures of the flowers Barbie
you all of a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 am

Great pictures this morning! Barbies wildflowers, Annie’s of the mountains and Beth’s BLUE steps!!! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Return to Morning Coffee