Stormy Sunday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Stormy Sunday

Postby Irmi » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Good afternoon ladies!

I woke up to lightening and thunder this morning and it's getting dark again with thunder in the distance. We've already had 7-1/2" of rain this year in two months, so probably don't need much more at this point. But Mother Nature will decide that for us.

Friends to want to go our for dinner sometime soon but I'd rather buy the ingredients and make something good at home. I have a feeling I'm going to be voted out. Steve said I'm in the minority and most others would rather go out for a meal. (I can still make it better at home).
Irmi

Re: Stormy Sunday

Postby JudyJB » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:19 pm

Rainy here also. It was just mostly cloudy in the morning and early afternoon, and I got lazy about covering up my bike, but it rained heavily here for most of the later afternoon. I am going outside now and loosely cover my bike, and then cover it better tomorrow afternoon. Want it dry a little before I cover it tightly, hence covering it loosely for now.

Starting to educate myself on acting as executor of my aunt's will. At least all her money is in investments and cash, but I still am discovering things I have not thought about. For now, I completed all the probate documents the lawyer sent to me, but right now I am getting copies of all the investments recent value and the two checking accounts we have. Also, have listed debts and made copies of expense reports and invoices we did not have time to pay before she died. Anyone else on here do this and have any advice??
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Redetotry » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:35 pm

It was warm almost 80 and very windy here today. Irmi I wish I were closer I'd come to your house to eat any time!! I'm one who doesn't like to go out to eat and your food always sounds delicious.

One of our friends stopped by with their 7 year old daughter today and she had participated in a Polar Plunge recently. I don't think she feels the cold as she is usually without a coat and barefoot when everyone else is cold. She is always very entertaining and today was showing a ballet position she had learned and it made me think of this funny video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdylQeg5B9I

Judy can't the lawyer help you with the all the issues you are having. We are redoing ours once again as they discovered when we did a revision several years ago a few things were left out. :shock:
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:19 pm

Good evening. Not much going on here today. Sorted out some clothes for donation, washed bathroom floors, and a load of laundry. Guess what?? it is raining. And threat of snow altho we wont get much if any. The hills will tho. I think I should just log on every day and say DITTO and call it a day LOL

Judy I guess I must have missed where your aunt died. I am so sorry. I dont have any legal advice to give as when my Mom died we already had everything figured out. I do need to update my will since the fire and I moved so need to do that pretty soon. Irmi I am with BJ I would come eat at your house any day. I rarely go out to eat mainly because I dont have anyone to go out with. I usually just fix something here. Occasionally I will pick something up if I am out and about. I like my own cooking and I usually just fix easy stuff. Tomorrow I am throwing some beef in that they are calling stir fry meat but I am going to put it in the crockpot and make a gravy and put it over rice. See easy easy. I am becoming more and more of a vegetarian it seems. Meat is so expensive I make different casseroles with hamburger. Each one is different tho. I made a mushroom, parmesian cheese and pasta casserole the other day and it was really good. I have the fixings for a quiche later this week so that will make several meals. I am not making any more do aheads right now as I dont have freezer space so trying to eat up some of the stuff in my freezer.

Finished up the last of the Sloppy joes tonight and a small salad. Hit the spot. Now getting ready to relax and do nothing.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:27 pm

Irmi, I'd gladly come to your place for dinner over a restaurant also. That said, I'm being these people eat at your place often and might feel like they don't do their share, so going out is a compromise. Just a thought.

Nothing new with me today. Warm, cloudy and humid here. I believe more of the same room tomorrow.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:31 pm

Judy, I missed that your aunt had died too. All I can say is that closing an estate is a PIA. Hopefully you won't have the errors I had to deal with. The lawyer that was handling it had finished and never told me or sent me a judgment of possession until I needed to do something. That really pissed me off. Then the CPA filed a tax return and said the estate was closed and it wasn't. We had to run estate income thru my tax return. Since I have the use of everything I'm hoping that was ok. It wasn't much money and I haven't heard from the IRS. You will need the Judgment of Possession to close the accounts so get ready to make a lot of legal copies. Did the lawyer tell you that you have to get a tax number for the estate? Hopefully they did that for you.

Irmi, I seem to go out to eat often with my friends and the groups I eat out with. It's not just that the food might not be good, it is getting to be so expensive. I don't like the games the restaurants are trying to play with the tips. I have ordered something to go and some places there is a screen that comes up and wants you to add a tip. I almost never pay with a credit card so they can forget the 15% tip on a takeout order. One of the fancier places we went added 18% to our bills and wanted a suggested amount more. :roll: There was something on the news about Windy's wanting to charge more at their busy times. They got so much flack about that. Now they are thinking about giving a discount when they aren't busy so guess that means they will charge more. The local Windy's doesn't have to worry about me bothering them. I have probably only gone to the local one about 5 times and only once was I happy with them or their food. I went about a week ago and I was having to wait a long time for my drink because something was wrong with the machine. Because I was at the window so long they tried to charge me twice. :roll: And the food was barely warm.

This morning I made a peach cobbler and I'm trying not to eat it all today. I can hear it calling me. lol I still had some cornbread dressing so I baked some chicken thighs and made mashed potatoes.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to fish stuff out from behind the dryer. There were 4 little containers of cat food that almost couldn't get. I finally caught them with Luna's ball launcher.

It was mostly sunny today until the smoke moved in. Something was on fire South of here, probably a marsh fire. It got up to 82. We have more rain coming tomorrow and Tuesday. It's suppose to be clear this coming weekend but my campout isn't until the 14th. Hope we have good weather. This will be Luna's first big camping test. The campground we are going to is big and everyone is spread out all over. It's going to be hard to have any meals together.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby chalet05 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:45 pm

Judy, I'm sorry to read about your aunt. Guess I missed it, too. My mother had a will, but worked for a lawyer so he took care of everything.

Barbie, nice job on the cabinet doors and the handles! The kids and I used to go for Tuesday tacos once in awhile, but guess somebody ticked son-in-law off at that place so we don't do that anymore. I was going to take them out for their birthdays last night, but I've been fighting a stomach bug. So many places around here to try!
Anita
chalet05

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:11 pm

Martha I just heard on the news that Oregon sent firefighters to Texas to help battle the fire there I wonder if some of your smoke is coming from there.

Firefighters battling ‘monster’ Texas wildfire contend with strong winds and heat as residents grapple with lost homes
The biggest inferno in Texas history was being fueled by winds and high temperatures as it raged Sunday, threatening to incinerate more buildings, cattle and livelihoods across the Texas Panhandle while residents sift through ashes of what used to be homes. Oh boy can I relate. The pictures remind me of our fire. Youtube has some pretty awesome info on this fire.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:06 am

Good evening gals,

Work was slow this morning until my manager left just after 1:00. Then me and my coworker got nailed with a ton of customers! We finally had to stop taking anyone about an hour before we closed so we could get everyone done that was already on the list before then. We were both so tired and luckily, the last 2 on-line check-ins didn't show so we were able to relax a bit before closing.

I was so sore all over today! Even my feet hurt! I went to the club to use the hydro bed and that really felt good! Am tired tonight so am going to bed early, even after taking a 2 hour nap when I got home!

The winds came up again tonight and it is really loud out there! Lots of dust in the air again today. Couldn't see the mountains at all.

I heard that Lake Tahoe area got 7 feet of snow over the weekend! :shock: That is a lot!

The rains we have had here lately have made one of the prettiest wild flowers grow like crazy around here! They are even growing all along the freeway in the medians. Here is a photo I got from the internet of what they look like...

These are Sand Verbena...

I am still doing a lot of the Zen Color color-by-numbers on my phone. I just found a new one this morning of a ferret! It was wearing a sweater, ha! You could never get a ferret to wear a sweater! But it was really cute and fun to do.

Judy, sorry about your aunt. It sounded like she was failing for awhile. I am glad we didn't have any of that legal stuff to deal with with either of my parents. Neither one had anything, other than my dad's house, and that transferred right to me and my brothers from a living trust. The only PITA was dealing with my brother while cleaning out the house! :evil:

Have a good night..
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Pooker » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:01 am

Such a hassle to settle an estate! There always seems to be something that wasn't expected. Sorry, I don't have any advice. I'm still wrestling with my own documents.

Barbie - Thanks for the flower name! They were everywhere last week when I went on a Senior's bus tour out your way and no one on the bus seemed to know what they were. The trip was to attend a fantastic ABBA tribute band concert and I had a front row seat. The 2 girl singers came down off the stage after the show and I got hugs from both of them. Guess being old has some perks (although I think the whole audience was old!).

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Irmi » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 am

Evie, your insight on those that attended the ABBA concert reminded me of the concerts here. I think it's neat that so many of the older people in our resort enjoy the concerts as much as we do. They're singing and clapping their hands and having a good old time. The ages here range from the low 50's to 90 but when we get together, we're all one.
Irmi

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 am

JudyJB wrote:Starting to educate myself on acting as executor of my aunt's will. At least all her money is in investments and cash, but I still am discovering things I have not thought about. For now, I completed all the probate documents the lawyer sent to me, but right now I am getting copies of all the investments recent value and the two checking accounts we have. Also, have listed debts and made copies of expense reports and invoices we did not have time to pay before she died. Anyone else on here do this and have any advice??

Judy, keep a watchful eye on submitting her taxes. Make sure TIN /EIN is named as Trust not Estate and that tax return is submitted with Trust in the name and a name on the bank account matches. A refund check for my stepmom was made out to Estate. The accountants at some point changed it to a Trust ID#. When refund were sent to my Dad, he was able to cash them because he still had a joint account. I have two Trust accounts because I'm still dealing with them from Dad's passing 3 years ago, received a refund check for her 2022 taxes I could not deposit into her Trust account. Bank would not open an Estate account because they no longer want to deal with Will paper work, only Trusts. On advice from accountant, voided the check, sent it to him and he is dealing with IRS for a replacement check. IRS confirmed the name change to Trust was submitted previously, but not changed in their records. IRS says reissue was approved, but I'm still waiting!

Also research anything you find. I found a life insurance policy my grandparents bought when my Dad was born in 1930. It was still valid and I received a $2000 benefit check.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Return to Morning Coffee