March In Like a ....

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

March In Like a ....

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:59 am

Mornin' ladies! Rabbits was remembered for me!

Remember the saying "March on like a lion, or like a lamb"? Some years it was "March on like a lamb, or like lion"? Not sure if that works in Arizona. Hope you're March is coming in gentle, no matter where you are.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: March In Like a ....

Postby Colliemom » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:40 am

Morning Cheryl and all. March is coming in like a Lamb here. Sunny and 48°expected today. Wouldn’t surprise me if it went a bit higher. Supposed to get warmer as weekend progresses. This is the first day of Meteorological Spring. After all the wind and snow left yesterday, snow in wee hours of morning and Wind by end of day, we inly had a measly 2 inches and it’s already melting off. The wind was another matter. Had to be gusting at least 40 mph. It just roared through the trees and opened up the largest lake in the county, Otsego Lake for 3/4 of its length. That lake has never been open in late February. It won’t be freezing anymore now.

Anne, looks like the prediction of heavy snows in CA are coming true. Beth, be glad you had to turn the heat on and snuggle down. Better than being in the fire area of TX. Crazy situations across the country.

Barbie, you aren’t the only one having a bad dsy. I got on my IPad here yesterday morning um, and couldn’t get online and emails weren’t coming through :o Though Maybe Spectrum was having an issue, but neighbor said they were fine. Unplugged modem and router to reboot, but nope, didn’t help. Decided to go to town and do some grocery shopping and deal with it when I came home. Wound up calling Spectrum, worked with a tech going through some different things, unplugging etc. Everything was working perfectly in their end, so he suggested calling Apple to check my devices. After 3 hours of being on phone with both companies, walking through different scenerios, it was a reset of network setting on my devices that worked. Final call back to Spectrum for an email password change got that straightened out. So things are working great now. Maybe Al the little power interruptions etc. just knocked the settings off. The one tech and I were talking about the sun causing some issues to, due to the electromagnetic pulses being thrown off. This year is supposed to be the strongest ones as the sun lines up it’s poles. Supposed to be quite a show of northern lights as well. So sone strange things might be happening once in a while.

Anita, sorry about your brothers latest results. Hopefully they can come up with something to control it. Shierl, nice to see you post. Sounds like things are going well for you. I’m thinking outdoor stuff as well.

But right now, I need to get a move on. Want to do a little housework this morning. Will work in my DP and take the dogs for a nice walk later before going up for Fish Fry at church.nHave a nice day everyone.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 am

Good morning..........I actually remembered RABBITS this morning. Would be nice if Mother Nature said a couple of words. It is still pouring rain. I dont know what the totals are up to but it has not quit pouring now for 2 days. The dog was speedy quick this morning rather than her usual sniff everywhere scenario. I am officially SICK of so much rain!!!! Usually it rains for a bit, then cloudy, maybe another shower and dont forget fog. Sun may or not peek out for a while. We are in a storm warning until Wednesday evening........sigh.
I have my guy coming from Oregons Energy Trust this morning (part of Pacific Power program) to check my furnace, vents, duct work. They make any repairs up to %900 if needed. He seals the floor vents, plugs the small hole around my furnace that a cord goes thru to the heat pump. He called it a "mousy hole" LOL Real nice fellow. He did the lady across the streets home a couple weeks ago.
So I need to finish my coffee and get a move on.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 pm

Good morning Cheryl, Sue, Karen and all who follow.

It is interesting how "old sayings" are a bit different depending on which part of the country one is from. For my area, it has always been "March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb".

Well, not too much lion-y right now (I definitely have not seen the amount of rain Karen is putting up with) but it is due to rain a bit later today, so we shall see what transpires. There will be no snow here where I live, of course.

Colliemom wrote:Anne, looks like the prediction of heavy snows in CA are coming true.

Well. . . yes, of course. Not much of a surprise there. :D

I guess when most people think of California, they probably think of sunny beaches, rather than of a forbidding and towering mountain range - and yet, California has both. It is possible (without a lot of effort!) to ski the wintry slopes of the Sierra in the morning, and surf in the Pacific ocean later that same day.

The Sierra Nevada range of mountains run through much of eastern California, from north to south, highest peak, Mt. Whitney, stands at 14,505 feet.

Mt. Whitney is the tallest mountain in the contiguous United States.

Heavy winter snows in the Sierra Nevada mountains (particularly at the higher elevations) happen every year. Of course, as with anything, some years more, some years less.

Heavy snows in the Sierra have always happened. Really nothing new there. The only thing new is that we now have 24/7 "news" and the news mongers need to write headlines that will attract viewers.

Which "Blizzard in California!!!" most certainly does.

Speaking of "historic" amounts of snow in California, and blizzards, and. . . well, yes. . . being trapped by snow, and cannibalism (!) read up on the Donner Party (a bit eye-opening, if one has never heard this - true - story):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party#:~:text=The%20Donner%20Party%2C%20sometimes%20called,wagon%20train%20from%20the%20Midwest.

Again, heavy snow in California's Sierra Nevada mountain range - and the towns located in these mountains - is definitely nothing new. The same is true for California's share of the Cascades, located in north-east California..

It's the media that acts like it is.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:33 pm

It is sunny with blue skies here. Although they keep saying we are going to get lots of rain this weekend. Annie, I had to laugh at your post. Yes, “blizzard roaring through CA” gets lots of attention.
Nothing much planned for today. Maybe get to the grocery store. Completely forgot “fabbits”.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby PeggyinCT » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:11 pm

Hola Everybody. I’m still in Kino Bay, but leaving on the 11th on a little trip to Chiapas in the south of Mexico. From there I will fly home to Hartford, CT. As much as I enjoy being here, it’s good to go home. Enjoy today. Peggy
PeggyinCT

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:33 pm

Good morning gals!

Well, February blew out of here last night like a lamb being chased by a lion! :o :lol: The winds came up around 10pm so hard I thought the windows were gonna blow in! Had to run outside quick to put down the patio umbrella before that blew over taking the whole glass table with it. :shock: Today, just a light breeze and sunny with the usual birds chirping happily!

Yesterday the whole valley was hazy with dust in the air. Could barely see the mountains. The odd thing about that is there was absolutely no wind yesterday, so I have no idea why there was so much dust in the air all over. My eyes are irritated this morning because of being out in it.

I am good at reminding everyone to say "rabbits" and yet I usually forget to say it myself. :roll: Forgot again. :(

I slept like a rock for almost 10 hours last night! My back feels better today. Those 5 days of working plus that old chair I sat in before I got this new one, really messed up the muscles in my lower and middle back. I will continue to go to PF for the hydro-massages. I like that I can adjust the pressure and location of the water jets in the bed. I don't like a lot of pressure.

My neighbor, who has the friend who wants to look at my place, she is kind of strange. She is hard to get along with and very negative and argumentative. Yesterday I gave her the name and number of my agent and told her to have her friend contact him about showing her the house on Saturday. She said that maybe her friend can look at it another time when she is in town again. :? If this friend is so determined to buy something here, why would she not want to have the agent be here to show it to her? So I will just pick up around here but won't go out of my way to clean if they aren't really serious about seeing it. Some people are strange! :roll:

Not sure if my new agent, Kris, is just super busy or what, but he still hasn't brought over the new For Sale sign he had made for my place. I just printed out his name and number on a piece of paper and taped it to the metal For Sale sign I got from the office here. Not very professional looking. :roll: I would think he would want his information out front so people could contact him (he doesn't know I put out the paper sign). He also never left me with any business cards. He said he doesn't like doing brochures because he wants people to contact him directly with questions. How can people contact him if he doesn't put his name and phone number on a sign out front? You gotta wonder how anything ever gets done in this world now days with so much incompetence!? :? I see it everywhere I go, and work with it as well. :roll:

I need to get up and start my laundry! I should be getting that window film today sometime so I can get that done and put those panels up. The film is a cling type stuff that you just get wet and put on so it is easy to remove from the windows later. I will do what I did at my Vista house with those two slender windows that I covered with window film, and add some Elmers glue to the water to help keep it stuck on.

Still need to do the handles in the bedroom. :roll: 30 of those!

Cats have been AWOL this morning. They must be hanging out in the porch. I should go out there and open up the windows again to get some breeze going thru. I closed them last night when the wind came up.

Anne, I have read, and seen a movie about the Donner Party. That is a sad story. I can't imagine ever being that desperate but they had to do something to survive, I guess.

Sue, a good wind can really rip up the ice on a lake quickly in the spring! Will just bust it all to pieces once it honeycombs. I am sure the lakes in MN are starting to open now too with the extremely mild winter there. It never got thick enough this year for ice houses, let alone cars and trucks! Very unusual!

Karen, I hope your rain stops pretty soon! You might need to start building an Ark? I wonder if Amazon has a kit for that? :lol: Or maybe IKEA. They have a kit for everything! :lol:

My stomach is growling. I better go find something to eat. Have a good first day of March!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:11 pm

Well my man from Energy Trust called me about 8am and asked if we could postpone until Monday he didnt want to drown underneath my house LOL LOL I was glad he wasn't coming it is a mess out there. We had snow for a bit but none of it stuck but pretty big flakes The rain quit about an hour ago, cloudy and the dang sun is peeking out periodically. There is a really chilly breeze out there tho. I took this opportunity to drive over and put my rent check in the box and pick up my mail. Brought the trash can back up in the carport. Then swiffered my kitchen floor. Had a few little paw prints and a couple spills on it so it was time.

Henry got his monthly maintenance done, cleaned the brushes, contacts, wheels and replaced the filter so he is good to go now. Today is time again for Heartworm and Bravecto for Emma. She used to gobble the Heartworm down but now she doesnt so will make her a scrambled egg for lunch and cut them both up in it. She loves a scrambled egg so that should work.

I am feeling kind of lazy this morning now so guess I will hook up my new antenna to the big living room tv and see if it works well. Then fix a bite of lunch and maybe then do nothing!!!! I have a couple shows I need to catch up on and I am sure it will be raining again soon. Barbie and ARK did cross my mind. Or a vacation to a sunny island somewhere. Hey if we can have a couple days of sunshine that will be fine. These last storms were just such heavy constant rain. My grandmother called them gulleywashers. I dont mind so much "showers" instead of "downpours". But it will be what it will be.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby chalet05 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:05 pm

Karen, didn't you get a lot of rain days last fall, too? It's raining here but snow predicted - we'll see. Wind has been an issue in so many places lately. Barbie, maybe one of those ladies really doesn't want to live next to the other one! :lol: Cats are not my favorite subject. I've had 2 outside my slider and have seen another in the parking lot. I didn't realize they were around and didn't put repellant in the Sling for winter. I have cleaned the small cover that was stored in the Sling - got the cat pee out. Full cover smells, too, but need enough decent weather to get it washed. Sling will go to car wash for a good pressure washing inside and out if we ever have decent weather but lots of rain forecasted in the next several weeks.

Slept in and then waited to hear from my brother. Got a text he would call me after they had lunch! I immediately got into his chart before he called. It isn't good news with the cancer spreading in the bones (neck, spine, pelvis) and at the top of his lung, but they are going to start another chemo. But they have to send out blood for a special test to see what and how much they should give him. Results should be here in time for appointment in 3 weeks. In the meantime, he's excited to be going back to work. Thank you for all the well wishes. UPDATE: Things changed quickly and he doesn't have to repeat the blood test since he had that particular one not long ago so chemo probably week after next!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Cudedog » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:00 pm

Anita, so sorry to hear about your brother's health setback. I hope they get the dosages right, and that he does well going forward.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:17 pm

March came in kind of wimpy here. I could hear it raining late last night with some thunder in the distance. I only got a little over 1/4 inch of rain. It got up to 62 but was overcast all day. We have rain predicted for the next 7 days but we will be back in the 70's. I forgot Rabbits again. I need to set my alarm to remind me.

I watch Wheel of Fortune after the 6:00 news and they have been giving away National Geographic Cruises. I had to look them up online. They sure look interesting but boy are they expensive. I thought of Anne, one night they showed one going to places with volcanos.

I didn't do much today except go to Walmart again. I need to do better making a list and bringing it. I forgot the Iams for the house cats the last time I went.

Anita, hope they can start your brother's treatment right away.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:24 pm

Anita, I'm glad your brother doesn't have to wait to get treatment going and I hope it'll be successful again. This is so scary.

I did say rabbits after midnight last night. I don't feel the weather came in like it out like anything today. Just a cool, dreary day. Tomorrow will be sunny and warm back up, showing back into the 80's. As the wind was less today, it didn't feel as cold and Ty and I got a couple decent walks in.

Oh, Karen, this morning a friend in Salem sent me a picture of the snow in their yard. She didn't believe anything would stick, but more came than she expected. I'm sure it was all gone this afternoon, though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:30 am

Acadianmom wrote:
I watch Wheel of Fortune after the 6:00 news and they have been giving away National Geographic Cruises. I had to look them up online. They sure look interesting but boy are they expensive. I thought of Anne, one night they showed one going to places with volcanos.

Martha

Thanks, Martha!

Lucky for me, there are quite a few volcanoes in northern California - within a one or two or three hours drive. Depending (on how far away they are - and how fast I want to drive!).

Here is a link to the USGS page, "Map of moderate, high and very high threat volcanoes in Ca". This page tells a little bit about California's volcanoes:

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/map-moderate-high-and-very-high-threat-volcanoes-ca

I live fairly near to Sacramento, which is in the center of the map, more or less. Depending on the wind direction at the time of the next volcanic eruption I could see ashfall - "Major Threat" (according to the USGS) volcanoes in northern California are Mt. Shasta, Medicine Lake Volcano, and Lassen Peak.

Lassen erupted fairly recently (geologically speaking), back in 1915.

Here is a photo of Lassen's eruption, taken in Red Bluff, California - a town just south of Redding, where Karen used to live.

Lassen Peak eruption as seen from downtown Red Bluff, California

All three of these volcanoes are expected to erupt again in the future - but no one really knows when. Any one of them could erupt with little warning.

Mt. Shasta Volcano, Northern California

Mt. St. Helens erupted only about eight weeks after earthquakes began to occur there.

Major Bonus: I don't need to take an expensive cruise to visit a volcano!! I just need to get in my car and drive. :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:41 am

We watch Wheel of Fortune every night also and have for years. I usually do pretty well at solving the puzzles and credit it to all the many years of my young life spent sitting through long sermons at church playing hangman while the preacher screamed on about burning forever if we didn't repent. The cost of the National Geographic Cruise is almost $30,000!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:25 am

BJ, we mostly went to Methodist churches when I was a kid and they were pretty tame. I went home with my roommate from college one time and went to her Baptist church. The preacher was making announcements and that kind of thing so it was quiet. When he started his sermon I almost fell off the bench when he started yelling. Didn't make that mistake again. I don't remember what religion it was but when I was in grade school I had friends that couldn't wear shorts or chew gum because of their religion. Even at that age I thought that was pretty dumb.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Next

Return to Morning Coffee