Thursday February 29

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Thursday February 29

Postby Shirlv » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 am

Mornings All, it has been rainy and windy in my neighborhood too. Next week predicted to be mild and rainy too. The grow light makes my sitting room sunny so much appreciated since I am solar powered. lol. I fix coffee first thing in the morning then check accuweather where I learn if arthritis will be a problem and if asthma will slow me down. Still searching YouTube for garden ideas and looking for recipes. Going to plant a Juliet tomato plant in a self watering 5 gal bucket so I can make salsa with large grape tomatoes. Trying a recipe for smoked salmon quiche.My adventure for the day. Daughter #2 took me to Sketcher store in local outlets and finally found comfortable shoes for 87 yr old feet. Slip ins so I don’t have to bend over (I still can) but they are convenient. Pricey but worth it. Needed causal pants, think all mine went to thrift store by mistake. A trip to Boscov for replacements. Very hard to find clothes for very senior citizens even in thrift store. We checked the store for my pants, no luck. Finally got rid of straight talk, thanks to local bank. #2 gd keeps me supplied with well water for my plants so I don’t have to use soften water laced with sodium. Life is good. Be safe.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: Thursday February 29

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:21 am

Good morning Shirl. It is a very wet morning. I have waterfront property in the back yard. Just watched the news and we got 0.84 inches of rain in 9 hours and it is still raining....UGH When I went to bed it was very windy and rainy. I vowed not to complain this year but my patience is wearing thin. We are no longer in drought status and havent been for a month or so. Mother Nature can just stop!!!! Also some snow predicted this weekend but it wont stick, just snow flurries, hail, and graupel occasionally. Just a light breeze this morning. Good thing Emma doesnt mind the rain, but she was fairly quick outside this morning.

Anita so sorry your brother's PET scan was not better.

Cancer is just such an invasive situation. Seems like some cancers that they seem to be able to often get a good result out of long term is prostate ,breast cancer, uterine and ovarian (if caught soon enough) They take those out and treat with chemo and radiation depending on the stage. They are having better outcomes with colon cancer if diagnosed early. I have friends and relatives that have passed with all kinds of cancers and some that have lived several years tho after treatment. It is really a sad situation that we havent progressed enough to eradicate cancer. I dont suppose it will happen in my lifetime.

Housekeeping on my list of chores today. I like to do something each day then I only have to spiff my house if company comes LOL LOL I need to get in my "catch all" office again ....sigh. Have to get rid of my cardboard. Then this weekend drop some stuff off to the donation center after I finish going thru my clothes and getting rid of the things I dont wear or dont fit.

Shirl I am looking at Garden and Recipe videos too. I can waste alot of time doing that. But it is fun.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:33 am

Morning Shirl and Karen. Shirl, I'm solar powered also and it's not been a good winter for it. Lol Temps dropped here so several cloudy days and today and tomorrow cold with highs in low to mid 50's. I turned my furnace on this morning. And am back in leggings, etc. After I walk Ty shortly, we'll curl up with the electric throw. At least the winds are down. But I'm predicting it'll be a short walk. We shall see. Luckily Ty is accepting waiting on me to greet this show on the road! I'm lucky he does this.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:55 am

All of the headlines in the major media outlets are predicting "the snow storm of the century" with "blizzard conditions for these MAJOR California cities".

Yeah, right. I guess this over-writes last year's snow storm of the century.

I'll just get rain here, not sure how much. The "major California cities" that are under blizzard watch are all in the high Sierra. One "major city" mentioned, that is about to get walloped, is Quincy, Ca. - which is more of a small town than a city (if that!) with a population of about eighteen-hundred residents. It is also in the Sierra - at about 3,400 feet elevation. It is not at all unusual for Quincy to get snow in the winter.

I'm not discounting the fact that many high-elevation Sierra towns are likely to get a major amount of snow (again, snow for Sierra towns in the wintertime is what happens), I'm just saying that the bulk of California's population lives at low elevation - I'm at about 75 foot elevation where I live.

No "major cities" that I know of will be getting any of the white stuff.

I haven't looked up the stats, but it seems we are having a fairly normal precipt year here.

LOL. The news gotta news.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:47 pm

It's Leap Day! You can ask a man to marry you today! :lol: :lol:

Just getting up. Didn't get to sleep until 2am so I am still tired. Need to run some errands before I take my meds.
I was reading last night on my ADHD FB group about great benefits to this med so am hoping I can get past this strange loopy side-effect.

Ann, it wouldn't make a good headline if it read, "some small mountain towns in CA will be getting a lot of snow, like usual." :lol: The only "major cities" I know of in CA are San Francisco, LA, and San Diego.

Tonight is Rabbits, so don't forget!

Have a good day
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Irmi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Good afternoon ladies!

Shirl, thanks for starting our day. I've been following the weather in MD and you've woken up to the same temperature I did a couple days ago. Steve & I both need the solar energy. Karen, I can understand your being frustrated with all the rain you've had. Beth, today is the 2nd day in a row I haven't worn leggings under my jeans. Anne, I'm looking forward to hearing about your snow storm! Barbie, thanks for the reminder about Rabbits tomorrow. Anita, I hope your brother will continue having good results as he did this past time.

I woke up to 59 degrees this morning and our high today was 76 but we had lots of strong breezes. When I was reading about Karen's rain, I was checking our precip and we've had 4.40 inches this month and a tad over 7" this year. We have rain moving in this coming week but it doesn't look like it'll amount to much. We have an ice cream get together this evening with a juke box playing music from the 50's & 60's. We're looking forward to that. Tomorrow is a golf cart trail ride and a 50's-60's dinner served at the clubhouse. Lots going on here.
Irmi

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:39 pm

The cold front blew thru yesterday afternoon and now it's in the 60's. The high today was 64 and the temperature is headed down. The radar shows some rain just to the West.

Yesterday I bought a package of large turkey wing pieces and baked them today. I had Thanksgiving dinner for lunch, turkey, mashed potatoes, Stovetop Cornbread Stuffing and gravy.

Barbie, I think I've been married enough. lol Maybe I can remember Rabbits tonight.

Anita, sorry it wasn't good news for your brother.

I was looking up the phone number for my colon doctor and they called to schedule my colonoscopy. It's not until April 2 so I have a month to dread it.

Shirl, I have a couple of pair of Sketchers. Mine are lace up so it's an effort to wear them. The shoes I wear the most are Easy Spirit, the kind that are backless. I have a pair of black and navy that I only wear when I'm going out. I have 3 pair of used ones in various stages of needing to be thrown away. I try to not wear them to town but I find myself in town with barn shoes and a shirt with holes often.

I better go play ball with Luna before the rain gets here or she will have too much energy tonight.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Was too worn out last night to post. The night before (Tuesday) I was getting things put away and ready to head out the next morning to Midway Campground in the Big CYpress, when at 9:30 pm I opened my email and found documents to review regarding my being executor of my aunt's will. I needed to review all, 7 of which needed my signature, and two that needed notarized. COnsidering that Midway is 50 miles from groceries and 25 miles to gas, there is not exactly a notory nearby, so I was up late reviewing them and printing them out after digging out my printer, which of course gave me trouble working halfwya through. Plus I had to coordinate with a cousin for a camping spot near them in Michigan in July, so that took time--only one campsite left. Anyway, did not even get in bed until 3 am. And the docs were in legalese, of course. Got up and left at 9 am, and had to drive into bad area of Tampa to pick up my bike and new tire at a dealer there. Then called lawyer from rest area, stopped twice for groceries and once for gas.

Made it here at 8 pm. Big Cypress is a dark sky area, which means I could not find smallest post office in US because no lights on it at all--talk about middle of nowhere! It is a tiny shed with a big parking lot but nothing else around it. Campground also had almost no lights--one small one over bathroom door. Found my site and somehow managed to pull into it--backup camera was working well with my backup lights. Plugged in and finished reading some of the legal garbage, but got to bed and slept in. 290 miles was MUCH too long, but I stopped at a terrific store, Detwilers, and got some wonderful strawberries, fantastic fresh squeezed orange juice, imported Dutch cheese, corm meal, and a few other things. Rolled my finished peameal bacon chunks in the corn meal and froze one chunk.

Had to go out this morning and fill up with water since I could not do that in the dark and bugs last night. Billions of those tiny gnats, etc. but few bugs during the day in this place on the edge of a swamp. 84 today and sunny, so finally relaxing. Going to call lawyer tomorrow to find out what stuff means before I sign it!!!
Last edited by JudyJB on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:13 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Ann, it wouldn't make a good headline if it read, "some small mountain towns in CA will be getting a lot of snow, like usual." :lol:

LOL, you got that right, Barbie! :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Shirlv » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:45 pm

Beth, when you worked at Lake on woods cg did you ever visit Green Dragin Farmers Market and Auction a
So called Amish Flea market in Lancaster, Pa. Sounds like a great site to visit. Can’t believe how close I’ve lived and never heard of it or visited. Been to Lancaster many times . Would need a trike now with a horn. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Bethers » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:05 pm

Shirl, I went to a few different ones, but I don't think any in Lancaster. I've still never had better chicken pot pie than was sold by some Amish near the CG. I remember they purchased a couple big gas powered fridges because they were such a big hit. If I was out that way, I'd go to the Lancaster one you've discovered with you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Good evening gals!

My morning was just not going according to plan. Everything on my list got complicated, frustrating, or didn't happen at all. I returned some paint to a neighbor who gave it to me last year but now wanted it back. When I brought it over, she decided she really didn't want it after all. :roll:

I went to put up the plexiglass sheets I got back yesterday for the kitchen ceiling. I removed the plastic that they put on both sides to keep it from getting scratched. The plastic was not clear but when I removed it, the panels were completely clear. Well, I didn't want that because who wants to see the florescent bulbs up there? I thought they were frosted because of the plastic on them. So I went on Amazon and ordered a decorative window film to put on them (white design) that will make it more opaque. That should come tomorrow so that will be another project. Hopefully, and easy one.

Then I drove to Kohls to return an Amazon item and they moved the Amazon location again! Every time I go there, it is in a different place and I have to hunt it down. Got that done and saw a rack with some discounted items. Saw one thing I wanted so I went to the check out area. Just one lane open and the woman ahead of me bought out half the store! She must have had 30+ items of clothes! I asked about getting another checker and the clerk said to use the self-checkout. I told him there was a gate across there so I couldn't use it. He said to just go in from the other end. So I did that. But as soon as I put my card in, I got a message that I needed to get assistance from a clerk. No clerk around anywhere and the guy was still ringing up a million items the lady had. I finally just left the item and walked out after cancelling my order on the screen.

Then I went to Planet Fitness because I decided to join there just so I could use their hydro massage bed (much cheaper than a real massage, and just down the street from work so I can go after work to get my back muscles calmed down). Anyways, they wanted me to sign into their app in order to check in. Of course, me and techy stuff aren't very compatible. :evil: :evil: The app wouldn't upload so he tried some other way for me to check in and that didn't work either. By this time I am fit to be tied! :shock: Finally another worker came over and said she could just check me in with my phone number! :roll: They used to have a card you could scan to check in. Things jut have to be so much more complicated now! Well, maybe not for most people, but it sure complicates the heck out of things for me! I finally got in for my hydro-massage and felt much better afterward!

I stopped at work to pick up my tools and went straight home. I gave up on the rest of my list and have spent the day on my bed reading e-mails and FB posts.

I figured it is a "bonus" day so I didn't really have to do anything today anyways, especially since things weren't going well to begin with.

I took another ADHD pill when I got home. I still feel a little off, but not like yesterday. I asked about it on my ADHD FB page and another gal had the same problem but said it went away after a few days. I will take it for the next two days I have off and see what happens. I feel calmer but not too motivated to do stuff, like one gal said she felt right after starting this med. Maybe that will come later. This is supposed to work well for better focusing and less distractions, too.

Need to get some dinner and see what is on TV for awhile. Will try my list again tomorrow and hope for better results and less stress!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Irmi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:50 am

Shirl & Beth,

I have been to the Green Dragon quite a few times and it is huge! You had to remember where you parked because the field you park in is huge as well. They sell everything and anything. We usually bought pastries and fresh meats. If anyone is in or near Lancaster County, it's worth going to.
Irmi

Return to Morning Coffee