Sunny Saturday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Sunny Saturday

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:19 am

Good morning gals!

Yesterday was pretty productive financially! I got up to do a haircut in the morning ($25), then went to get my taxes done ($1500), then did another haircut in the afternoon ($23). A good day for my bank account! Plus I got my deposit for my paycheck and my Soc Sec today. Going to transfer a lot of that to my savings account.

Also got my order of the cabinet handles so will start working on those later. The guy I did the afternoon haircut on said he would cut my plexiglass pieces (for the overhead lights in my kitchen) for me. I tried to cut them with a knife but can't get thru the thick plastic so I have been looking for someone who can cut them for me. He said he could do it! So I will drop that off for him today. Another house project taken care of!

There is a Canadian couple renting down the street who wants to look at my place tonight. I think they are actually looking for something quite a bit less expensive (not much available less than mine) but want to look anyways. I will straighten up the house today for that.

Watched a golf tournament that is being hosted by Tiger Woods this week in LA. It is the first official tournament he is playing in after his ankle surgery last year. He did pretty good on Thursday but then Friday morning he started out playing but didn't look very good. On the third hole, they showed him being taken off the course in a golf cart. Turns out he has some sort of flu illness and just wasn't able to keep playing. That is too bad. A lot of people were really excited to see him playing again.

I keep getting asked to fill in at work to help out when someone is out sick. I have to keep reminding them that I can't work any more hours than I already do, due to my SSI restrictions. I am right up to within $100 of the monthly limit and can't take a chance on going over that, or I will lose the next months benefits. And then I noticed that I am scheduled 5 days in a row (2 days on next weeks schedule and 3 days on the following week's schedule) starting on next Thursday thru Monday! :shock: I don't know how my back is gonna hold up with that! :?

My cough is almost gone now! Yay! :D . Such a relief! I have noticed that my taste buds are off a bit since I had Covid. Not a big difference but noticeable. Not as bad as others have had it. I can live with it.

Anyways, I better get up soon and start working on this place. Might even be able to get laundry done! :o :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Sunny Saturday

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:33 am

Good morning. Chilly and cloudy outside this morning 41 but no wind so just chilly. Going to work on my computer and finish setting it up as I feel more comfortable with Windows 11 now. Also need to start working on my taxes this weekend. I also have to go to Costco and pick up my prescription. Texted me it was ready so I better get in there. I want to go early before all the Urgent Care people show up LOL They are pretty efficient. I tried Walmart but they never had my meds so gave that up rather quickly. I also need to food saver my meat I bought yesterday and make room in my freezer.....sigh. Sheila this program for Pacific Power is thru Energy Trust of Oregon. I dont know if other states also have this program. They will do any repairs up to $900 which is pretty good.
Just finished second cup of coffee so time for some breakfast and a shower and start my day.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby asirimarco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:55 am

Good Morning to all - just a quick check in. Still catching up on every thing after trip. I wrote about our crazy airplane trip home on the blog today. If you want to read it here is the link
https://travelinginrvandlivinginlasvegas.blogspot.com/2024/02/home-and-busy.html
Thank goodness my girlfriend here told me about getting a wheelchair for both of us. A real life saver. I hated to think I was so old I needed one. Still having trouble with that, but without out the wheelchairs we'd have missed our connecting flight to Vegas.
Got most things from trip caught up. Glad we went but will not do it the same way if we go again. Bill is pretty exhausted so sleeping in today. I am getting things caught around here and laundry. Need to figure out how to get pictures of Bill's iphone onto his Windows 11 computer. Looks like a chore.
Got lots of groceries yesterday so don't have to go any where for a while. Just relax for a few days.
asirimarco

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:03 pm

Barbie, since you don't have high expectations, maybe this will be your lucky day! Fingers crossed.

This is the third day of rain and coldest. Seems like we have similar weather right now, Karen. The high today happened around 7 am at 55, were headed to 39 for a low overnight and with the 20+ mph winds it's chilly. I look forward to things improving tomorrow and seeing the sun again.

I'm feeling very smart this morning. I get an email from the NY Times every Saturday with a history quiz (you don't need a subscription) and I'm always happy when I only miss a couple, but for the first time today I got 100% so I'm paying myself on the back.

Carol, I'm glad you decided to get two wheelchairs. And that it worked out to be the smart move. I'm going to miss your Mexican adventures. But it seems you were running everyday and now need a vacation from your vacation. Kind of like my vacations before I started rving.

I just watched an episode of Psych. Never had seen it before. Somewhat silly, but I laughed out loud enough that I'll watch more of them. I'd never heard of that TV show.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Carol, try taking the phone charging cord and put it in the USB or USC slot on your computer. That should allow you to directly transfer files to the computer.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm

It got down to 40 last night and is only up to 44 now. I only got another 1/3 inch of rain after I checked last night. There is still a lot of rain South of here all the way back to South Texas. Hope it doesn't decide to go North. The weather channel says it will be 33 tonight. One of the solar lights fell off the fence in the back yard and I went out without a coat to fix it. I need to work on another one but it was too cold without a jacket. I need to find my heavier jacket.

BJ, I am finding out that appliances don't last like they use to. We built our house in 1975 and the refrigerator lasted 18 years and the water heater lasted almost 30 years. In this house I have already replaced the refrigerator, water heater, both toilets and the washer and dryer. The dryer I have now will probably be next. I will be really PO'ed if this refrigerator goes out because of how much it cost and it had to be special ordered because I wanted white. All the stores want to carry now are stainless steel. My pets have me well trained too. Luna is bugging me to go play ball and I keep telling her it's too cold. I put Charlie in a cage to feed him canned food because he is missing some teeth and I don't have to worry about forgetting him in the cage. Stinky keeps coming to get me because she wants to finish his leftovers.

Beth, I tried to get one of the recipes from the NY Times and you have to subscribe to get a recipe. :evil: I'm surprised they will give you anything for free. I have never heard of Psych and don't know if that's something I get. Will have to look it up.

Karen, don't remind me about the taxes, I want to keep putting it off. lol I am still getting tax papers in the mail. I will have to look at last year to see if everything is in.

Barbie, we can't live on what we get from Soc Sec so we should be able to work all we want. Good luck with the people looking at your house.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Othersharon » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:00 pm

Good afternoon from snowy PA. We finally have gotten a good snowfall, probably 4”-5” here this morning. I went out about 10 or so and used the snowblower only to discover the light fluffy snow was anything but! It kept clogging up the blower and I had to clear it every so often. Luckily the sun did make an appearance and that helped clear the sidewalks a bit more. Just as I was patting myself on the back for having done it all we got snow squalls and all the snow on the building next to my house I think blew into the driveway! But again the sun came out so it’s slowly melting despite the temps in the 20’s. I did my neighbors sidewalk too and made sure to do pretty much all of it since I think he went to work early this morning. She texted me last night to let me know there would be a strange car parked and that it is a rental. Someone rear ended her and she’s dealing with much the same as I dealt with whiplash and her back so knew she didn’t need to be trying to shovel snow. Besides we seem to take turns shoveling and mowing! Buddy and I haven’t walked for a couple of days but I’ve spent time in the yard playing with him. Not as good as a walk but it helps. We went for a couple of rides in the car and he’s doing so much better with settling down. I’m still trying to find a used treadmill for large dogs but so far no luck. A new one would be so expensive to buy. May revisit a human treadmill and if I can add side panels to it. I picked up my taxes and sent off what I needed to send so that’s done for the year. Carol, glad you made it home. I’ve been enjoying your blog. Barbie, maybe today will be the day! It’ll probably happen when you least expect it! Beth, not sure if I said but I like your blue steps and glad you have found another park. Velda, how’s your son doing? And Judy, sounds like your son is improving each day. Just looked outside and it’s snowing again! Thought it was done for today! Hoping it’s just a small band coming through! Guess I should start thinking about what I want for dinner since I didn’t pull anything out of the freezer. I do have some leftovers so that’ll probably be it for tonight. Plus it’ll clear out the frig! Hope everyone is having a good day and staying warm!
Othersharon

Postby Cudedog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:43 pm

Acadianmom wrote:BJ, I am finding out that appliances don't last like they use to. We built our house in 1975 and the refrigerator lasted 18 years and the water heater lasted almost 30 years. In this house I have already replaced the refrigerator, water heater, both toilets and the washer and dryer.

Martha, I had a refrigerator that lasted twenty-five years - and never needed one single service call.

The clothes dryer I have now is about twelve years old. It went out one time, cost me $225.00 for a service call - I was really p.o.ed, because I later found a place I could have bought a new dryer for $300.00.

Anyway, this dryer went out again about four months after the $225.00 service call. Still being p.o.ed about the first service call, I got my screwdriver and took the flat piece of metal off the top back of the dryer to look in there to "see what I could see".

It seemed to me to be a lever on a switch back there that wasn't making the switch stay on - something to do with the timer. So I thought, WTH, and got a piece of duct tape and taped the lever so that the switch was always on. So if the dryer door is closed, the dryer is on - if the dryer door is open, the dryer is off. Since the timer no longer works, it doesn't shut off automatically.

I had hoped this "temporary fix" would last me six months or so, so that I could save up for a new dryer (I refused to pay for a second service call to fix the same thing the first service call should have fixed).

Anyway. . . my "temporary fix" was eight years ago now, and the dryer still runs. Since it doesn't shut off automatically, I need to remember to go open the dryer door when my clothes are dry. The dryer is getting really ugly - the paint is coming off the top of it in spots, and there is rust bubbling up under the paint in a couple of other small spots as well.

So. . . I will get a new dryer when this one finally dies - but as long as it dries my clothes (the knob that selects for temperature - hot-medium-warm - has always continued to work) the old dryer is going to stay right where it is.

Beth, I tried to get one of the recipes from the NY Times and you have to subscribe to get a recipe. :evil: I'm surprised they will give you anything for free.

Martha, I subscribe to The New York Times. PM me the name of the recipe you are looking for, and I will try to find it for you. 8-)

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:26 pm

I did a basic cleaning to the house today, no major cleaning but it looks nice. Then spent an hour or so putting the handles on the cabinet doors. I did all the ones in the living room and all the upper ones in the kitchen. Looks so much better so far!

The couple showed up at 5 instead of 6 and had another couple with them. I thought they were renting here in the park but are actually renting at another RV park not too far from here. They all had lots of questions and really looked everything over well, especially the guys. One thing the gals mentioned when they saw I was changing out the handles is they noticed the outdated handles in the photos and figured they would have to replace them. They were glad to see I was doing it already. Little things can make a big difference! They all liked the unique layout of this place. It is different than most other park models. They said that where they are renting now, doesn't allow pets and only allows one vehicle per driveway. They have 2 cars and plan to get a dog. We don't have restrictions other than limit of 2 dogs of any breed or size, and any vehicles must fit in the driveway without sticking out into the street at all. So we will see if we hear back from them. I told them to call my new agent if they had any other questions.

Otherwise, just watching golf. Nothing else on TV on Saturdays. Tomorrow I will do laundry and put up the rest of the handles. Then back to work on Monday.

Nothing is made well anymore, like in the good ol' days. They just mass produce everything with the cheapest materials. If things fall apart sooner than later, then they sell more of them more often.

Have a good night!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 pm

Good evening. Well since it poured all day today I decided to just keep my butt home. I decided I was going to tackle that darn Samsung tv and see why I cannot switch from antenna back to my Roku stick. Since I bought a better indoor antenna I hooked that up, scanned the channels and was happy to see I can get ABC, CBS, and NBC...who knew. Plus alot of other benign channels. Well after what felt like hours of watching youtube, which was no help, I finally figured it out. I tell ya these Samsung tv's do not make it easy. I cant wait for these to die!!!! I thought I was buying 2 really good tv's. Now the picture is very good but the stress they both cost me is alot. And I am sure they will last longer than I will. I wont be using the OTA (over the air tv) except during the week so I can get the local news in the mornings. Hope I dont forget what I did ha ha

I need to be way more productive tomorrow, today was a bust. Oh well. I did have to dust as I am sure someone crawled up behind my tv and died, there was that much dust!!!! I do have to go to Costco and get gas and pick up my prescription still. Costco has gotten smart and is checking your card to see if it matches your picture on checkout. Too many people not buying a membership and just using someone else's card. They say not fair to the people who pay for a membership.
I have had to show my card the last few times at checkout. They also have someone in the self checkout checking pictures. Usually I just scanned my card and rung up everything. Now as you enter the line they ask for it. I dont mind tho
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:06 pm

Anne, I don't remember what recipe I was looking for. Probably something someone mentioned on Facebook.

I bought a Butternut Squash at Walmart yesterday. I had never cooked a Butternut Squash so gave it a try this afternoon. I cooked it in the microwave for 4 minutes and let it cool off. Then I peeled it and cut it up, put brown sugar and cinnamon on it and baked it. It was ok but not sure I would cook another one.

A little after dark a loud car passed that sounded like kids racing their engine. I never did hear them come out. After that there seemed to be a lot of traffic which is unusual. A little while ago a large truck passed and it looked like a wrecker. I could see a lot of lights passed the second corner passed my house. Someone probably ran off the road and the ditches are full of water. There are still cars and pickups going in and out. I lead an exciting life on Saturday night. lol

Karen, I have a Samsung tv in the living room and there is something wrong with the sound. On some shows I can barely understand them. I would think it's my hearing but I can understand the TV in my office. I wonder if a sound bar would work on it. I have never used one but my son has one on his tv.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:25 am

my nephew and niece stopped by to see if we needed pellets he decided to knock down a ice jam on the gutter I think a combo of snow and ice... so out came the snow blower and down went some snow melt and that got tracked into the house... he vacuum one area but seemed like everywhere I went I was stepping on snow melt...ended up after they left sweeping and vacuuming needed to be done but still amazed at how much it tracks in they drove up the driveway and parked but started sliding down it's a slight incline... it's a sheet of ice I might not take the garbage can down on Monday night :roll: I noticed last week that it felt slick guess I will decide when I drive out might get an idea...
pulled out the soup we had last week and let it slowly heat up to defrost it... something more out of the freezer yea me!!! I really need to dig into it and organize it so stuff is findable.
I've watched Psych my dd really likes it I'm so so on it .... if it's on I'll watch it what I'd like to see is the Munk movie that is just out...
I need to pin my shrug to the bed so it doesn't move so I can get a accurate measurement
one says I'm over the length one says I'm almost there... I like that one I don't want to take out any more rows... just ran out of yarn so will need to find the tutorial on how to merge one into another did it once but need a reminder on how to do it
Carol glad you are back safe I'm sure it's a change
here's hoping Barbie that they contact your realtor
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Return to Morning Coffee