Sunny Saturday, Feb 3

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Sunny Saturday, Feb 3

Postby JudyJB » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:34 pm

At least it is sunny here. Sheila, I did post my favorite recipe for flank steak in the recipe area. Also, I do put a lot of things in plastic bins, but my suitcase and some other things just will not fit in a bin because most of my storage areas are only 16" deep and they don't make bins that narrow and high enough for it. I did have one waterproof bin in that storage compartment, and the stuff in it was fine. I need to get another bin that size, at least for my extra clothing. My winter coat and some other things were inside my suitcase, and they got wet also. My suitcase is now dry and not smelly after spraying it inside and out with hydrogen peroxide and odor remover, so I am going to double bag it in the big heavy trash bags and tape each layer with body tape. I will also get another storage bin the same size as the one there now for clothing and other things that will mildew.

More work to do today. Need to sort through another bin and double bag my extra throw rugs so they do not get wet. May also find some stuff to toss.

Son has some leakage around his pancreas, which the doctors say will heal, but he still has drainage tubes around that area. Still on TPN, however. Other good news is that his white cell count is normal finally--still some COVID, however.

By the way, because I am a chronic lymphatic leukemia patient, I have 8 years of detailed blood tests recorded in a spreadsheet!! Most of the tests also include things like basophils, eosinophils, lymphocytes, neutrophils, and platelets! I have been a bit worried in the past year because white blood cells have been creeping up to to the edge of abnormal at 11, and even 15 once, though the rest of the blood numbers are good. And my platelets are finally at a normal level, for the first time in 8 years!! For me, blood tests are like reading the stock market.
Last edited by JudyJB on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Sunny Saturday, Feb 3

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:53 pm

Good morning. It has been a busy one for me. Went for a haircut this morning, it was much needed. I hate when the hair is on my neck. It isnt real short just in the "bob" category LOL she did a good job. Then went to Fred Meyer, picked up my pickup order. Saves me money that way, also had a $10 off pickup order coupon, go me.!!!! Came home put that all away, then went to the Dollar Tree to get my Kleenex, and a few other things. Stopped at Costco on the way home so I could get some frozen wild caught salmon filets. Well I got those and several other things.....bad me. Oh well a girl has to eat.
So now I am getting ready to put my raised bed together. Been watching some videos on what to do when filling it. So far I am going with the cardboard at the bottom, then some logs, sticks, leaves, compost. I dont have access to any logs but when I asked in our community a fellow responded that has logs he will bring to his ouse in his tractor bucket later this afternoon and I can have my pick of what I need.
He just PM'd me he is home now so I can come anytime. He lives in the middle of nowhere outside of Sutherlin, well about 10 miles outside of town LOL So hopefully I will be back ha ha
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:02 pm

Judy there are some big vacuum seal bags I put large items in, such as a very big king size blanket in, that, if you have a vacuum with a hose, would work. I use them for my large collections of holidays clothes, one for Halloween and another 1 for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years. Of course, mine are not bouncing in an RV, but they are pretty sturdy, and, it would compact items for more storage space and are waterproof as long as still sealed.
Chris is adjusting to life in rehab. Regular 5 day a week with PT and OT will begin Monday (through Fridays). He is eating and trying to choose higher protein on menu to help him rebuild. He is drinking lots of water. I'll head over to see him around 3-3:30 and stay until after he brushes teeth before sleep. I think the place is working out at least as well as I hoped. They have been cooperative so far with my requests. This is going to be a tough journey. He still has essentially no use of his dominant right hand, which frustrates him. Today his room is very hot because thermostat is apparently malfunctioning, which suits his two elderly roomies just fine as they are always chilly.
I finally got a full 30 min on my treadmill today! Yay me!
I have 5.5 lbs beef ribs in oven on slow cook. Recipe calls for 275° for 3-3.5 hours, then shut off Oven and do not open for at least an hour. I only used salt and pepper for this first trial. Will let you know how it worked. Under $30 for 5.5 lbs not bad even after subtracting bone. These are each about 9-10'inches long and very meaty.
I need to shower and get ready to go once I can shut oven off.
Have a good weekend.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:19 pm

UPDATE I have some really good logs for my raised bed. And I lived to tell the tale ha ha Really super nice fellow. He even said I could come back and get some fertilizer as he has a compost area. He raises goats and sheep, and vineyards of course.
So I unloaded the back of my car and now I need to vacuum the little bits out. I did put a sheet down so that helped. Picked up a blended Mocha on my way home...so good.
Now some relaxing time.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:14 pm

Good deal, Karen. But I have to laugh reading your post before. Bed made me think of bed as in we sleep on. Then you talked about cardboard, logs, sticks, leaves. The word compost finally got me in line with what you were talking about. I had a good chuckle at where my mind was going until then.

And while I posted all the good news about my tt, today the battery was dead. Just from the fridge being on propane. So I'll buy a new battery when I get here in the fall. I was expecting to need one so not a big deal. I'm glad I tested it and the fridge. If course, the battery dying meant no propane going to the fridge so that didn't get a better test. Oh well. I felt pretty good about it getting cold on Thursday for the time it was plugged in.

Still waiting on Home Depot to get my carpet in. If I don't hear Monday, I'll call them for an update.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:14 pm

Chuck eye steaks are indeed hard to find, so I always search the beef area and pick up some when I can, though I am choosy and look for the best and most marbled ones. Then I freeze them, so I nearly always have several in my freezer. I really do not eat much meat, so one will sometimes last me two meals. I also like that they are boneless and the right size for one person.

And I have washed a lot of down comforters. The one I have now is queen-sized and medium weight, but I used to wash my heavier one when I lived in my condo. One thing is that you should ONLY try to wash and dry the kind that are sewn though every square, otherwise it is too hard to get the down back to where it belongs.

You can wash nearly every down item, even pillows, but it takes a big front-loading washer and dryer to do it. (A tip is if you only have a top loader to squeeze air out of comforter before you stick it in washing machine, though it should really be one of those really big top loaders, otherwise it will just float.) Also, it takes a long time to dry down. When one is in the big laundromat dryer, I check it every few minutes and untwist or untangle it so it dries better and faster. I start out on high temp and then move to medium. One warning is that it will look dry, but if you feel it all over, you will find little hard lumps of wet stuff, so I pull those lumps apart a bit and dry it some more. And when it seems very dry, I will still lay it out on a couch or something for a couple of days when I get home to make sure every bit is dry. Best time is in the desert or on a dry sunny day.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:25 pm

MandysMom wrote:I have 5.5 lbs beef ribs in oven on slow cook. Recipe calls for 275° for 3-3.5 hours, then shut off Oven and do not open for at least an hour. I only used salt and pepper for this first trial. Will let you know how it worked. Under $30 for 5.5 lbs not bad even after subtracting bone. These are each about 9-10'inches long and very meaty.
I need to shower and get ready to go once I can shut oven off.
Have a good weekend.
Velda

Velda, where are you finding such wonderful beef ribs? I really like beef ribs, but the ones I mostly see in the grocery store have almost no meat - they are mostly just bone. There are even little "v's" of meat cut out between the ribs, so there really isn't much meat left.

I refuse to buy beef ribs that have no beef!

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:33 pm

I am exhausted tonight! One of our stylists called in sick so there were just 2 of us and I was only scheduled to work til 2pm. My manager wanted me to stay until 6 but I said no way I can do that many hours. We started out really busy and then got a perm at 10am that we didn't know had been scheduled. :o So that left me the only one doing haircuts for 2 hours! Finally got another stylist (manager from another shop) who came in at 2. By then there was over an hour wait and the first stylist needed to take her one hour lunch yet. I offered to stay an extra hour but the manager said I could leave anyways, so I did, gladly, as my back was really hurting. Came home and collapsed on my bed and slept for 4 hours! I just can't take those busy, stressful days anymore. Did 14 haircuts in just 5 hours! :shock:

The stylist I was working with is pretty nice most of the time but is very opinionated and gets irritated easily. She also has no verbal filter. She has been giving me a bit of a hard time about me not doing styles and perms. I agreed with her today tho, that I shouldn't be doing this kind of work anymore because of my physical issues and limitations. Not a lot of options out there for jobs I can do tho. I will start looking tho anyways. I have been hesitant because I keep thinking I will sell my house "any day now" but obviously that isn't happening. It will be harder to find any jobs once the summer starts. Less jobs available then after the snowbirds leave.

Yesterday, a beautiful husky dog walked into the salon. She was by herself dragging a leash. We waited a little bit for someone to come looking for her but I ended up handing her over to a WM employee to deal with. Someone had seen her come thru the front door by herself. She was very friendly and well-behaved, altho very strong when she wanted to walk around. No one knew what to do with her. The manager of WM was going to call Animal Control, which no one wanted to happen. I suggested that they do a PA announcement in case someone was looking for her. They did that. About an hour later, a guy came running into the store in a panic. Apparently he had left her in the back of his truck and came in to shop. He heard the announcement but didn't think it was his dog until he went out to his truck later, only to find his dog missing! (which was exactly what I figured had happened). Luckily it had a happy ending. So that was a little fun excitement for the evening.

Am just watching golf which is up in Pebble Beach, CA. The weather is supposed to be really bad tomorrow with high winds and heavy rain so they might not be able to play tomorrow. I love tho, that I can come home and watch the tournament that I missed watching early in the day. They replay it again in the evenings. I am getting to know the better players now.

Judy, glad your son has made some improvements. Velda, good to hear you like where your son is now, especially that they are willing to listen to you. A good attitude goes a long ways in those places. When my grandma was in a nursing home, my aunt was always complaining and yelling at the staff about everything. They just blew her off because of her attitude. When my mom was in the nursing home, I was always very nice to everyone there and thanked them for everything they did for her and they would go above and beyond to do things for her and me. Maybe it was the attitude of the people working at both places that made the difference too, but I think they appreciate family members who are respectful and not demanding, and are willing to work more with them. So I am sure they will be very accommodating with you and Chris.

My cough is better now after starting back with the L-Lysine a few days ago. So that helps. My ribs are feeling a little less painful again because of that.

Need to get some dinner. Will get to bed early tonight. Another 6 hour day tomorrow! :roll:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:20 am

really over slept today I don't know that I've ever slept that late ever!!! I keep telling myself that I must have needed it ... but it throw the whole day off... good thing I didn't have anything planned..
did do a bit of looking at different spice racks rather like it and if the drawer isn't enough then I might look into this one a bit more that is if I can find it again I'm notorious for not finding what I once looked at again.... saw a hat for a child thinking that would look cute on the great granddaughter can I find it again??? nope not on your life.... and I'd really like too
only thing I remember other than it was cute white and the wording liking like knitted but crocheted or words to that effect.. maybe I'll run across it again one day... :?
made hamburger soup tonight I thought it tasted really good... made lots so hoping that nephew or niece comes over and gets some of it... ought to put some in a container and take some to the neighbor as he has a terminal illness but that won't take care of a lot of it...
some times I send stuff over if some one can run it over for me... might be able to tomorrow.. I read an interesting store tonight one of those I almost shared on FB it was about a german jew man who was actually able to rescue he parents at the end of the war... really a interesting story ought to see if it's still there and share...
thanks Judy for posting that recipe will have to try it sometime... I'll also have to see if I can find that cut of meat but have a feeling I won't...
it's good Velda that your son is fitting in hopefully it won't be a really long visit 5 days a week is a lot of PT so should help if he able to do all he needs to do...
here's hoping your son can continue to improve Judy
It's funny Beth the path your mind can take...
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Return to Morning Coffee