Tbe Dsy Before The Big Game

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Tbe Dsy Before The Big Game

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:12 am

Cheery Good Morning everyone. Had a good nights sleep, so am bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. And pumped up for tomorrow’s big game. I’m not a football fan per se, but grew up with Lions games a part of every Sunday, as my dad followed them. He didn’t go to the home games per se, except once in a rare while and took me with him nice. But he always watched them on TV. I haven’t paid a lot of attention to them since he passed awY, but this year’s team has got the state electrified big time. Excitement is at fever pitch right now. I’ve been watching and cheering them on these past two weekends and watched another game this season. Been a long time coming. Since 1991 to be exact , that they have won a Championship. Fans broke decibel levels at Ford Field last two weekends. So now we are taking on the 49ers and we will just push them out of the way and continue to the Super Bowl. You gals out there, prepare to get mauled :lol:

Karen, you got me a little confused with your tax deadline remark. Edward Jones generates tax info usually by February 15th, tax deadline is April 15th. That’s plenty of time to file taxes. I have an appt. set up with my preparer for Feb. 24th. I’ll send my Jones 1099’s directly to her beforehand. Beth, things looking a bit wet down there in TX. Hope no flooding where you are. I may have missed it, but have you decided to go back to IA this summer? Judy, hope things work out better for your son at home than it did last time. Velda, I was wondering same thing as Barbie, did they figure out what caused your son’s issues?

Got my two little To Do list things done yesterday, so just 3 things left. But heading to town this morning to exchange a bag of kibble as I accidentally picked up the wrong one. Right brand, just that it’s Large Breed Adult Puppy instead of Just Adult :roll:. Then to Home Depot to get a paint chip for a color I think will go well with my bathroom flooring. Not in a hurry to head out though, as it’s drizzly out there, temp is currently 33°. P,us it’s early yet.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Tbe Dsy Before The Big Game

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:41 am

Good morning. I have been up since 3:30 for some unknown reason. I slept good but only 5 1/2 hours according to my watch. Oh well I feel rested but sure does make for a long day. Weather is crazy 65/52 with rain showers. Not a good weather report for our snowpack but it will be whatever is my theory.
Think I will make a trip to Home Depot and get the stuff I need to start preparing my bathroom walls for painting. I have the primer but need to patch a few spots on the wall from when they put in my walk in shower. The garden tub/shower combo was about 6 inches wider than the shower. Had enough flooring for them to fix that part but now need to do some patching, priming, and painting of the walls. I already washed the walls so that part is done. I wont start this project for a bit but I want to be ready ha ha
I bought a new computer as mine was acting up off and on, so I cant be having that for sure ha ha It has Windows 11 so a bit of a learning curve but I am just watching some videos and then trying it out, so far I think I will like it. Many things are the same but just in a different spot and it does a few things I will really like so I will perservere. I remember having the same issue going from Windows 7 to 10.
Sue I will root for the Lions for you. I always root for the underdog (as in it has been so long since they won), well usually. unless our Seahawks are playing. I dont watch much football but enjoy some of the games. I actually dont watch any sports on a regular basis. I do like the super bowl tho.
I have had my 2 cups of coffee and am now ready for breakfast LOL LOL well going to hold out for a bit. I am not used to eating breakfast this dang early.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby asirimarco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:24 am

Good morning to all. Just a quick note. We have been so busy since we've been here and have another full day planned today. This is the best thing that has happened for Bill since last March. He is up and about and going all day. Wears me out. Only thing is bed bothers his back, so he gets a slow start to the day. AND he misses his Jeep. A couple people here have asked him about it then he gets depressed for a few hours. Other than that things are going well. Weather has been perfect. I've been writing about all our adventures in my blog. The url is in my signature at the bottom of my post. I''m glad we came back here for this month. Caught up with some friends we haven't seen for a while and friends from the RV park. Luckily one of them brought his truck so they are taking us around quite a bit. I''ve been reading when I get a chance to sit down. Glad to read everyone seems to be improving after medical episodes. Just wanted to let you all know we are fine ...
asirimarco

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:01 pm

I am torn between the 49’ers and the Lions. I normally like to root for the underdog, and I love the Lions uniform colors. It’s always exciting when a team that has been losing begins doing so well. That said, I lived in San Francisco for three years. The 49’ers were the first pro football game I ever saw in person. I have always been kind of a 49’er fan. I guess who Evers wins, I will be happy!
Our weather has turned nice and warm this weekend. A big storm is supposed to arrive next week. I hope our chinch City Council has done something about the drains all clogged in southeast. I get so mad at politicians.
Lyn r

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:39 pm

If I were to watch a game tomorrow it would be the Chiefs/Ravens game and I hope the Chiefs win. The big game doesn't happen this weekend, but whichever two teams win will play in it. I've never been a big football fan. Blasphemy that I didn't attend any high school games. But I always supported Chicago sport teams and was definitely into the Chicago Bears when they won. It was impossible to not be.

Nice day but the wind has picked up again. We had a good walk. I'm happy no rain and the sun is out.

Carol, I'm following your blog every day. You are packing so much into each day. I love it and, yes, I'm jealous. It's great that it's helping Bill to be there.

Karen I had a mental note from something you said recently, but it's gone now lolol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:35 pm

Sorry I left you hanging. This is a long post, but it's a catch up for the past two weeks.
It's been a tremendously stressful and exhausting week. Today is Chris's 9th day in the hospital. Admit diagnosis was Sepsis with kidney failure and Rhabdomylosis. Beta Strep caused the other two. Rhabdomylosis is breakdown of muscle from either extreme exercise or infection and often leads to kidney stress. It all began with what appeared to be a GI bug on Sunday January 14 and it was GI bug vs food poisoning from a pizza. He had a fever as high as 102.8 and the usual nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. By Tuesday afternoon, his fever came down and we thought he was on the mend. Then Tuesday late afternoon he began to have joint pain-ankles, wrists, left clavicle. Treated with Aleve and Tylenol. Called Dr Wednesday morning and was told likely virus and continue Tylenol and Aleve and put Lidocaine gel on hurting areas. Thursday he was worse and Friday early morning he could not get up off the floor where he decided to sleep Thursday night. I called 911 and fire crew from our 2 local stations came to extract him from his room where he had slept. I followed the ambulance after feeding our Sweet Stormy who has some health issues ( I now spoon feed her and give sub q fluids). Took care of Suzie, our parrot and tied up loose ends for a day I figured might be long. I called my handyman and he came and made sure firemen got our porch rail back on right, which they removed to safely slide Chris onto stretcher, rather than try to carry him down several steps making 2 sharp turns.
I reached the hospital and they directed me to his cubicle. He is on IVs and says, Mom I have sepsis and my kidneys failed. That was hard news to take. They were already running multiple IV antibiotics through multiple IVs. Immediate blood tests had shown severe sepsis, but it takes 24-48 hours to grow and see which bacteria is the culprit. Early Sunday, having been moved to a telemetry unit ( kind of between ICU and a regular ward), we learned it was a very nasty bug-Beta Strep Sepsis, kidneys were in failure and he had muscle breakdown. The week (9th day today) has had ups and downs with spiking fever, severa pain in his back and all limbs, and very slowly coming back kidneys. On Sunday I was told he may be on dialysis if kidneys didn't come around within 48 hours . He was swelling and deep red color creeping up his limbs. Sunday when B strep news was revealed, Dr and nurses grabbed permanent markers and began marking boundaries of redness and swelling- this condition , if not caught in time can lead to amputation and often death. His Dr, a hospitalist (a Dr who's sole job is caring for sick in the hospital) said, we don't know if kidneys will come back or to what degree. We do know he was on the verge of Toxic Shock, from which death is pretty likely, but we have reduced that risk because you sent him here just in time.
He is still on heavy duty antibiotics specific to strep and thankfully this was not a resistant strain. Both MRIs and Cts have been done. Initial CT showed masses in both lungs, thought to be infection sloughed off from the heart, a cozy place B Strep loves to do its dirty work. Often heart valves are damaged, along with other organs. Also, infection can set up housekeeping in joints and bone. The MRI and CT done Wednesday and Thursday showed no pockets of fluid and bone is ok, but severe tendon inflammation, along with widespread whole body inflammation. Infectious disease team believes he will need weeks to months of antibiotics to be sure he does not have infection hiding somewhere. He will require extensive rehabilitation. He can only raise left arm enough to help feed himself and drink, but can't raise arm to shoulder height. Right arm he can barely move and right hand is still very swollen. His legs have come down some, but he can barely move them himself, due to tendon inflammation and muscle damage. His back and neck hurt a lot and he is still getting IV morphine time to time esp after being turned or lifted out of bed. It's expected that once infectious disease Drs get a plan together for ongoing antibiotics, he will transfer to a Skilled Nursing Facility near our home which has a separate rehab unit, which I've heard good things about. He has a long road ahead. His lungs are finally clearing and last night his breathing was finally clearer with almost no wheezing, though he is still coughing up nasty stuff. His kidneys appear to have returned to full duty, but will have to be followed to see if there is long term damage. His spirits have improved now that he accepts that I am not rejecting him and "putting him away" in a nursing home. Somehow he got the idea from our Dr, who took over his hospital care Tuesday , that I was saying he can't come home. We have convinced him that's not true by my repeatedly saying, you can come home when you can walk up the 4 steps into the house, get up out of your chair, use toilet and shower on your own. I keep telling him things like: I cant wait until you can come home and fix the tv( he has all passwords in his head and keeps our ROKU connected and running- I don't even know how to get a channel! ) and I need him to reset our router, etc.
I'm exhausted. I've been at his bedside 5-8 hours every day for 8 days and will go in a while today again. I'm less worried now but lots ahead with preparing my house for his return- he has bad habits and left a cluttered mess in his room and around his chair, which handyman and I are clearing. I've done many loads of laundry over past week, as Chris neglects that chore. Chris is 43 years old. Has struggled his entire life with ADHD, BiPolar, OCD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, IBS, Dyscalcula and has history of back injury. Plus he is carb driven by both disorders and his medications. Chris, due to his disorders and the medications, has severe food issues,in that some foods make him gag and many don't taste right as you and i would taste them. His IBS is flared by some items we know ( all cruciferous veg, which also my body does not like), and dairy, and some items we are not yet sure about. Food is a tough subject between us. So, he is morbidly obese. This has been a hard lesson for him. He is now aware and speaking of needing to change his eating to heal. Last night I fed him the pot roast and potatoes that came for dinner, but he still won't touch their ugly over Italian seasoned zucchini- I tasted it and would eat it but sure not like it! His showing willingness to try harder with nutrition will be one key to healing and how hard he works in rehab will be another key. His determination and attitude will be what I need to support , along with making sure they don't feed him junk. Stormy and Suzie bird and I are hanging in there. This will be my first day without Sean the handyman here. As much as I've been annoyed with Handyman Sean, for his ADHD behavior, he has stepped up and worked hard this week and supported me in every way. He is well paid, but could be doing other jobs, but he sticks by me.
I'm trying to adjust my eating schedule to keep my body working well and healthy, drinking my hydration and taking my RXs plus trying hard to sleep ( not easy with almost nightly calls from scared Chris.) Chris has reading and language skills at college level but math at 4th grade. Emotionally he is around what you expect of a 8-10 year old. Before sick, he handled his own breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner, cared for himself but not good at housekeeping (know any 8 yr old who does a good job with their room and laundry?) . He helps plan meals and helps shop, carries stuff, assembles stuff, runs our Internet/tv packages and handles service calls for many things in the house. Due to Dyscalcula (the math equivalent of dyslexia) he does not do well with any financial stuff, so I handle that and slowly teach him. We get along great except my wanting more out of him housekeeping wise for his spaces and help with the house. I also want him eating better. It's easy for outsiders to judge on his appearance, because he is so carb driven and has shown this week that he would rather not eat than eat certain foods.
Chris just called and said, within the original boundaries where Dr and nurses marked the redness and swelling, he is now peeling like after a deep sunburn. He said left had where peeling is complete, he can move the hand better and was able to clumsily feed himself eggs and toast for breakfast, getting most actually in his mouth! That's a big win, he prefers to feed himself, of course! He said where skn has peeled and other areas he Can move better but it raises his pain level to 9 or 10, so he is exhausted after and needs pain med. he was also hoisted into a chair for a ride out to where sun comes in window for 30 min. He is very tired but excited and happy at this progress.
That's about it for me. Stormy needs breakfast and so does Suzie and I Need my shower. I eat in early afternoon and mine just needs warming.
Sorry this was long in coming but my priority has been Chris, Stormy, Suzis and my own health this past week.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:57 pm

It took all morning for my internet to come up so I finally called them. There is some kind of problem so they are sending someone but not until Tuesday. I can get on line from my tablet but I hate to try to post from there because it usually disappears before I can send it. It's finally not raining. Last night about midnight we had a storm with a lot of thunder and lightening. Luna ended up on the bed with me under a blanket until it passed. At least we didn't lose power.

I don't care who is in the super bowl. About all I watch are the commercials if I even have it on. Sometimes I will watch an LSU game but that's about all.

I have the hospice monthly meal tomorrow. It's at a Walk-On's which is kind of like a sports bar. I'm sure it will be noisy. I hope the food is better than I had Thursday.

I hope the gate with the cat door gets delivered today. This morning Luna threw up and I'm sure it was because she was eating cat food.

Carol, glad you are having a good time and it's helping Bill so much.

Velda, so sorry you and your son are having to go through all this. Thank goodness his kidneys are working. Hospital food is usually the pits. It may be good for you but seldom tastes good. Our small local hospital actually has pretty good food. I have eaten lunch in their cafeteria often.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm

Oh my Velda I'm so sorry for all you and Chris have been through! sending hugs and healing wishes.

Judy I hope your son continues to improve and doesn't have to go back to the hospital!

Carol good to hear you and Bill are enjoying your vacation!.

Martha I hope you get your internet fixed. We had to have a new line put in as a squirrel chewed almost all the way through ours. They have flags all over the yard but we had a letter saying it might be April before they would get it buried :shock: Should make mowing interesting. We had a call saying we should upgrade our internet to fiber optic. I said no thank you and was told well you will soon have to because the old system is being phasing out. I replied so are we, he hung up.

It is cold, in the 40's here and has been raining since around ten this morning. We did have a friend stop by to sample the Beignet's I bought from a neighbor down the street who runs a baking company out of her home. She bakes a large variety sour dough bread made with wild yeast, boiled New York style bagels, cinnamon rolls and baguettes. The Beignets are a new item and none of us cared much for them but we enjoyed the experience.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Just had some lunch and we have had several heavy rainfalls after a wee bit of sunshine. I must say I am getting tired of the rain. I thought I might take a drive towards the coast to this bakery everyone says is so good but decided I did not want to be on that coast road with the rains. The road from Eugene over to the coast had a slide and is closed now......nope not a good day for a drive. I am getting a little stir crazy staying in tho, so I had Henry vacuum my kitchen and dining area and then I washed my floors. Put in a load of laundry and now I am done ha ha
Velda Chris has really had a very hard time of it and I know there is lots more ahead. I am glad he is improving tho even if it is slowly. Glad you are taking care of yourself too.
Beth, mental notes just dont work for me ha ha ha I see they dont work for you either. I have no idea what I said, heck I cannot remember what I had for breakfast so there really is not alot of hope in helping you remember.
In my zeal to clean up different areas I found a bluetooth speaker that I forgot I even had. So hooked that up to my laptop and it was super easy for a change. Paired right up and now I have great sound YAY me. Still watching videos on Windows 11 and Microsoft Edge. I will download Chrome on this laptop also tho as I am way more familiar with it's workings, So far today the old faithful laptop has decided to work (of course) for how long tho that is the question.
Tacos for dinner today, had a bowl of soup for lunch and will have a mocha and a banana pretty soon. Martha hope you have a better meal this time. I dont really like eating out unless I go to my favorite spots which I dont do very often.........yup I am in a rut for sure. I have yet to find a really good Mexican restaurant here. I have a good Chinese one, in fact there are two I like so far. And then of course I like Panda Express I am not a huge fast food person and am very picky where I go for that. I do like In n Out burger, cant beat the burger and fries for $5.58 ha ha ha It is right down the street from me but I still only go there once in a while.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm

BJ, I kind of have a feeling it's my router going out. What ever it is I just hope they fix it. I looked on line for internet service reviews and Viasat only has 3 stars. If I lived on the highway I could get AT&T but not good on the side line. I won't upgrade anything until the very last minute. AT&T pestered me for at least a year about getting a 5G phone and they finally gave me one. lol Same thing with my Verison tablet. The Beignets in New Orleans are great but any I have tried anywhere else not good. I tried to make them a couple of times and that was a mess.

Mental notes don't work for me either. Written notes are not much better. I had written "highlight" on my shopping list and could not figure out what I wanted. Turns out I wanted a "highlighter marker." :roll:

I seldom order a burger when I'm out because I like mine much better. I separate a package of hamburger patties and freeze them. I can take one out and defrost it in the microwave and cook it in the air fryer. We have a good Chinese place in Abbeville but I seldom eat there unless my son wants to go. They have gotten expensive too. I don't feel like I eat enough to pay for a buffet. I usually end up bring half my food home from a restaurant. What I need to do is order an appetizer for my meal.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:49 pm

Velda, so very sorry to know the terrible time you have been having. Kidneys coming back online is good news, for sure, hope they stay that way and continue to improve.

If I knew what words to say to you to help, be sure that I would say them.

I am sending healing thoughts for you and for Chris.

It is truly amazing how rapidly things can go south. Hopefully, things will continue to improve.

My best wishes to you and to Chris.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:07 pm

Velda, what a difficult week. I'm glad things are improving. And Judy, same for your son. I check for updates from both of you on their progress. And, Anita, your brother. And niece. Well updates from each of you.

Martha, I don't like buffets because I can't get my money's worth. When I went to dinner the other night with my neighbors, one recommended I try Nana's lonches. For those unfamiliar, they are a Mexican sandwich served on a bolillo roll. In other parts of Mexico, these sandwiches are referred to as tortas, but in Jalisco, they are called lonches. This restaurant makes two kinds, one includes chicken, one does not have meat. I elected them without meat which has Mexican cheese included with the veggies and avocado. It came with 5. The restaurant had a variety of home made hot sauces. One very hot which I did use on the complimentary soup they served. I used the medium on the lonches. After the soup, I should have only eaten one, but ate 2. So I had 3 to bring home which I put their delicious medium hot sauce on). 2 were my dinner last night and the one remaining was lunch today. Their bolillo roll was soft at the restaurant. Good. But I prefer a little crispy so reheating in the air fryer was perfect. I crisped the edges and left the inside soft. The meal was already a good price, but I got two more meals. That's a deal.

Karen, I once thought Oregon would be a good place to call home, but I need more sunshine. It's hard for me this winter in Texas, but no where near like what you see. I fell in love with the Astoria area, but only during a very short season where it's sunniest. That's why I figured I'd end up in Arizona, and still will at least a portion of the year, but I can surprise even myself. Lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:40 pm

Son made it home last night, after he and his wife went through training on how to replace and manage the TPN bags and machine. He has a sort of backpack that contains the pump for the TPN so he can get the nutrition without having to be tied to a pole all the time. (Nurse will be coming every few days.) This way, he can go out grocery shopping, which he did today with his wife to pick up food, mostly for the kids, who have been cooking on their own. They both have cars and credit cards, and they are 16 and 18, so it is not exactly like they were abandoned without food or resources, but my DIL says the kitchen is "awful." I assume that to mean it is a bit messy after the kids have been on their own for a week.

So besides the nutrition by his Picc line, my son can drink up to 4 ounces of clear liquids by mouth each hour. After 17 days in the hospital, he is thrilled to be home and at least able to drink water and juices. In two weeks, they will go back to SF to hospital to get stomach checked to see if it is healed enough so he can manage real food.

I made some chicken with lemon juice and cream of chicken soup. Made enough for five meals, so with the soup I have left, I have enough meals for several days that I just can heat up. Also have a couple of small steaks if i get bored with the chicken and soup.

Carol, have you thought about extending your visit to Mexico for a couple of extra weeks? Seems like it is doing husband good.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby chalet05 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Judy, glad your son is home! Velda, what a time you and Chris have been through. Prayers for continued recovery! Carol, glad you and Bill are enjoying your Mexican get away.

Sister-in-law texted last night. She has finally realized she will never physically able to go back to work. She has been at WalMart for over 25 years. Needed advice about her 401K. Realized my brother and I have talked for 2 weeks! Guess that's a good sign. :) He did text blood results last week. Only learning about my granddaughter on Instagram. Her latest post showed her getting an infusion, but that's all I know other than pictures of her embroidery.

We are having a lot of rain which is getting rid of the snow, but temps to be in 40s at last. Not a Lions or 49ers fan, but may the weaker win and hopefully be playing Kansas City in the Superbowl. :)
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:03 pm

Anita, I realized reading your post that I said niece not granddaughter. I apologize.

Judy, thanks for the update.

It's 72 degrees in here and I just got my electric blanket out. What a wimp I am. But for some reason, I'm chilly.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Morning Coffee