Dogs and Rain

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Dogs and Rain

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:34 pm

Good morning, Karen ,that was an interesting post about Emma’s adventures at the dog show. Seeing as she lives alone with you, it was nice to read how she reacted beside the larger dogs.
You must be very proud of her.
Judy, unfortunately what happened to your son after discharge from hospital. You had mentioned he had real food the previous day. I am wondering what they gave him? Used to worry about patients who doctors just ordered Regular Diet on post op orders. Patients can be hungry and thirsty after surgery and eat or drink too much. It sounds like I am criticizing the doctors. I am NOT. Just making an interesting observation.
It is raining here! Hazel does not like the rain. My older daughter wrote back, most dogs don’t. My younger daughter then wrote her dog loves the rain. Wondering if any of you have a dog that loves the rain?
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Re: Dogs and Rain

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Ty likes light rain, hates downpours and will drag me home if one starts. I agree with him We were in a sprinkle this morning. I didn't realize how much must have fallen overnight and we ended up walking in mud. He doesn't mind mud. I hate it lol. He doesn't care for it if I don't get his paws cleaned good enough. Then you'd think he's a cat the way he cleans them for a long time.

Chilly, damp day. I washed off my shoes. We'll be walking inside the park until we see the sun whenever that happens and it dries up the mud.

I shouldn't admit to things I'm finding in my class c that I haven't seen in forever and some I forgot I even had, so I obviously don't need). I need to get back to the minimalist me from my first several years on the road. I guess to most people, I still am, but not to me now. Geez.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:58 pm

Morning Lyn. Yes, I had a good time yesterday and I was proud of Emma and hope she does better each time. There was alot of noise, people chatting, and barking dogs off and on. I think she felt secure in her stroller and when we had been there a while I put her in her small bed on the floor beside me but she enjoyed sitting between my legs ha ha Emma doesnt mind the rain she just ignores it. If it is raining real hard she doesnt like when it hits her in the face but other than that she could really care less. She does like the snow.
Doing a load of laundry, made a pot of soup, and now I cant really get into any projects as we have a community meeting at 2pm. Sorry to hear Judy that your son had a bit of a set back...kind of scary for sure. It was a heavy duty surgery for sure.
A rainy day off and on here. I am pretty sure we are no longer in a drought. I love that it is cold enough to accumulate snow pack tho. That is what we need for our hot summers. Hope everyone in the cold is staying warm. Sharon hope your heater keeps on working, you have had lots of trouble with it for sure.
Better go get my shower and at least get dressed.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:10 pm

Brief pop in to let you know whats up
Couple weeks ago Stormy cat became sick and had a nose bleed, landing at ER vet. They determined she had a shadow in left sinus which could be tumor or infection. Gave her antibiotics and sent her home after extracting from my CC a sizable amount. I don't want anyone choking or having heart attack so wont share amount! Slowly she is improving, but i still need to give her sub Q fluids and spoon feed her. Just past few days she is walking both to and from her bed to litter box on her own, where I was carrying her at least one way.
Then, a week ago my son had an apparent stomach bug. He appeared to improve, then Tuesday his rt wrist, left hand, both ankles and left clavicle began to hurt as if sprained. By Friday morning he could not walk! He was extracted from the house by local fire department then rushed by ambulance to nearby Sutter med center. As it was early morning, I stayed behind for short while to care for Stormy and tie up loose ends. My handyman and friend Sean, cancelled his plans and rushed over to clean up after fire / rescue crew and clean up Chris's stuff he tossed around while sick.
When I arrived at ER, I was told I was lucky he got here when he did because he was septic from unknown source and in acute kidney failure and his heart may be next. That was Friday morning. As of saturday afternoon they had cultures back and it is beta strep. Which enters through skin. They examined head to toe and found a small cut on his left leg. By then his Rt wrist, Left hand, both lower legs and right clavicle are bright red with redness creeping out and up and massive swelling. Infectious disease was consulted and antibiotics were changed from broad spectrum to more targeted. Later in the day he began very slight improvement with temp trending down and white count dropping a little and other labs slowly improving. He is still very very sick and kidneys not yet responding. If they dont, dialysis will have to be done. 50/50 chance thus is permanent damage. There was slight sign last night that redness though not yet swelling was no longer growing and possibly slightly retreating. I came home and got slightly more sleep. I have vet stopping today to help hydrate miss feisty who has decided that is no fun and is now strong enough that 2 hands are not going to contain her when one hand holds IV bottle and other holds needle!
I'll try to update with New info when I can. Needless to say I've been quite busy.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:43 pm

The big problem now is high white blood count from infection in lung due to inhaled stuff when he vomited. He is on intravenous antibiotics, so hope it will get better soon. My DIL spent some time this morning with her kids, so she did not head back to hospital until about 10 am her time.

And yes, I do think he was sent home too fast, especially considering the two-hour minimum drive from Napa. The day before, he had had cream of wheat for breakfast, and eggs, toast, and grapes for lunch. Not sure about dinner, but DIL said he did not eat much of it. Breakfast last day was cream of wheat again. That seems like a lot of food for someone who had only been on very limited liquids for two days previously!!! Nothing by mouth 6 days previously.

In 2006, I was sent home late afternoon 3 days after left knee replacement with serious abdominal pain and not being able to eat. They diagnosed me with constipation without running any tests. I was up all that night doubling and tripling my pain meds. Saw visiting nurse early next morning who told me to get back to ER and ask to see gastroenterologist, NOT an orthopedic surgeon. So, I was back in the ER within 16 hours of being sent home with acute pancreatitis!! They almost killed me!!!! First thing they did in ER was hook me up to morphine, which was wonderful. I spent another 13 days in hospital, but they gave me a private room and more importantly, in this huge teaching hospital, I never saw an intern or resident in all that time. I think they realized their serious mistake, so I saw only a team of over-50 doctors once per day rest of my stay!!! Did not get any PT until 20 days after knee surgery because all the tubes kept me stuck in bed nearly all of the time, so I am proof you can get a good outcome without it!!! After eliminating all other causes, my gastroenterologist determined that pancreatitis was probably kicked off by propofol used as anesthesia, so I can never have it again.

Lesson learned is that you can have two things wrong with you at once!!! Knew a lady who had a heart attack after knee surgery and was also told pain must be constipation!! :o
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:56 pm

Velda. Oh my.

I had been wondering about you over the last several days, I am extremely sorry to read about your terrible situations with both your son and with your Stormy.

I am sending hope and prayers your way, praying for a good outcome for you all.

My very best wishes to you.

Sending healing thoughts also for Judy's son and Anita's brother. May they overcome their illnesses, and soon moving towards recovery.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby chalet05 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 pm

Judy and Velda, so sorry to hear about your sons' health issues. Both sound very worrisome! Praying for all of you. My brother is doing well and sister-in-law will be having surgery to put in stents for her kidneys (or whatever the correct terminology is).

Lyn, I enjoyed reading NBC lost millions of viewers by putting that football game on Peacock!

We are finally coming out of the deep freeze so now we deal with slush. We really didn't have that much snow - certainly not like in the past. I guess I haven't left the apartment since January 2 except to get mail! I do have errands to run this week.

Everyone be safe and well.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Redetotry » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:06 pm

Good grief Judy I cant believe they sent your son home so fast and let him eat solid food plus making him wait in ER for so long. Our heath care is so broken and now fewer people are willing to be doctors especially women's doctors.
Velda I'm so sorry for your son and everything else going on in your home. Sending a big hug for you.
Karen my Emma would have been fine but Toby would have wanted to fight all the other dogs and Pippa would have not been social even in her stroller!
We are pretty proud of Emma, she won high scoring dog at a two day show in KY this weekend with a score of 198 out of a possible 200. I posted a picture on FB and she looks really tired but by the time she got home she was ready to go see if there were any deer to bark at. There were dogs there from all over the country so a lot of competition. It is still really cold here although I think it got up to 20 today. I am going a bit stir crazy! None of my dogs really mind the rain or the snow. I used to have a hard time with some of the Havanese we've had over the years getting them to come in from the snow. But Pippa doesn't go out so I don't know how she would react.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:13 pm

Judy and Velda, sorry to hear about your sons' medical problems. They try to get everyone out of the hospital too fast.

Luna doesn't like the rain and she is like a bullet going out to use the bathroom. We have 5 days of rain coming, some days a lot. I'll see if she will go out when it's raining hard. Sugar didn't want to be out in the rain but wanted to lay on the porch when it was raining.

Our warm weather and rain hasn't arrived yet but we are through with freezes for a while. I hope a long while. If it rains here all week my ponds will be overflowing. Maybe I can start the summer with them being full.

Don't know what I'll do this coming week. We have a Meetup meal at a new Mexican restaurant on Thursday. I hope their food is better than the last two times I have been to a Mexican restaurant.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:18 pm

Judy and Velda, I'm sorry. I thought posted to you both in my earlier post. I'm so sorry for what's going on and am hoping for the best in both cases. Hug to you both.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 am

Velda so sorry to hear about your son and kitty... I hope he fully heals and hopefully all will be well with your kitty.... I'm glad that you were able to pop in and let us know about it all make sure that you take care of yourself as well
Judy hoping as well that your son gets through this issue and will be able to go hope when he can .
Anita good to hear from you and that your brother is doing well hopefully your sister in law goes through her surgery in flying colors...
my kids came tonight my two daughters and a son in law they took down the tree so glad that is done as well as a bag of pellets brought in had roast beef mashed potatoes and cauliflower and broccoli and pigged out on desserts I didn't know that they were bringing a cake and ice cream ... so I made a pie son in law really liked the pie.. when I went to the store yesterday I'd forgotten something and realized it at the store checkout so the clerk ran to get it it was the caramel sweetened condensed milk I called it by de lache she brought back several brands I pointed to one didn't even look at the label got home and it was just sweetened condensed milk I had one can but thought I'd need two thinking about it I think one would have been sufficient anyway I found a recipe for the pie using brown sugar butter and sweetened condensed milk so mixed it up really filled up the pie pan let cook added the bananas and whipped cream... it's really good pie... so easy to make but this one was a lot richer than the other time I made it... I think next time I make the pie I'll either use the caramel sweetened condensed milk or make it like I did before it left more room for the bananas and not quite as chewy they brought german choc cake I may have to call in the troops and pig out on desserts again...
mom ate next to nothing tonight... it may have been the timing I think with our new schedule at church that I may have to have a larger meal in the early afternoon and snacks at night... we ate at between 1 and 1:30 and then again at 6 so perhaps it was too soon dd says she probably has the size of stomach that we should have...
my son in law cut a piece of wood as I asked him to only he cut it way to big unless it isn't placed in there correctly guess I will see when I go to my room
am tired I think
you all have a good day
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 am

Wow! Velda, you have your hands full with your son's illness and the cat, too. I am sending good, healing thoughts for both of them. Sounds like a very serious situation for your son and a close call! (((hugs)))

Judy, same with you. I am sure it is very difficult for you not to be there right now. (((hugs))) to you too, as well as healing thoughts for your son.

I hate to even complain about my rib pain. I might go to Urgent Care tomorrow if it isn't any better.

I forgot about a couple haircuts I was supposed to do on friends here across the street today. I worked for my manager today and totally forgot about the haircuts. So we have rescheduled for tomorrow and I have set my alarm on my phone to remind me.

We are under a flash flood watch for tomorrow with heavy rains predicted for the Coachella Valley here. The storm is coming from the west so we might not get so much on this side of the valley. We usually only get heavy rain here when the storms come up from the south. But we'll see...

An amateur golfer won the PGA tournament out here today. They allow 2 or 3 amateurs to play the professional tournaments just for the experience, and they usually don't do well, but this 20 year old is really good and pulled off a win! Was pretty cool to watch! (I love that I can watch golf anytime now on the Golf Channel!)

Karma, my fish isn't feeling well the past couple days. I need to stop tomorrow and pick up some PH drops for his tank. I have him in a small tank for now so I can keep an eye on him better and he doesn't have to swim too far up to the surface for air. Romeow wants to keep an eye on him too :shock: , so I had to put the little tank up on a high shelf where he can't get to it. :roll:

Going to bed early tonight. My cough is a little better now but my ears are all plugged up and ringing a lot. They don't hurt so I don't think I have an ear infection.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:26 am

Thank you everyone. Taking it day by day. Praying they don't just cure infection and ignore that he quite suddenly can't move or even sit up and ship him off to a skilled nursing facility.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:37 am

Thank you everyone. Taking it day by day. Praying they don't just cure infection and ignore that he quite suddenly can't move or even sit up and ship him off to a skilled nursing facility.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Morning Coffee