Cool Thursday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Cool Thursday

Postby Irmi » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:12 am

Good morning ladies!

I woke up to 59 degrees and it is still quite breezy. Right now it is 68 but doesn't feel like it because of the winds. There is a chance of occasional rains tomorrow and hard rain Saturday with wind gusts up to 50 mph.

Karen and Sandi, I was surprised how much your horse training/riding/knowledge paralleled each other.

I just got back from my Dr. appointment and most of his report from my lab work was good. All the lab numbers were normal, my bp was normal, I don't have osteoporosis in my spine but I do have it in my right hip. Besides starting on a D3 supplement, they will check on my insurance to see if they will pay for a Prolia shot, once every 6 months. They cost $ 1500 each so I hope they'll do that with his request.
Irmi

Re: Cool Thursday

Postby JudyJB » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:57 pm

Cool here in southern Florida, but I have a lot of indoor tasks for this week. Just took photos of a stack of military records I had inherited from my deceased uncle. I am sending copies to the other POA because we plan to cremate my aunt when she passes and have their ashes interred in a military cemetery in California near where they lived for a long time before moving to Georgia.

Got to take out trash and dig into basement storage for some stuff. Also got to put up some decorations on my dash so need to dig those out also. Been doing some cleaning, or at least trying to. Wiped off cabinets, at least, and cleaned bathroom.

Pleasant COE campground here. I had always stayed in the eastern end, but this time am in the eastern end and like it because it is a bit quieter. Nice view of the river and lakes, as well.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:56 pm

Good afternoon. Had some sun this morning but has clouded up now....oh well. Made my pot of soup and crockpot of ribs. So now am done for the day. Been fighting with my Versa 2 watch. Sometimes it goes into la la land and I have a hard time getting it back. Guess I will start looking at some other options. It is 5 years old now so guess it is starting to give up. Ya know Christmas is coming, last year I bought myself my Roomba (best purchase ever LOL) So maybe this year a new watch.??? we shall see. After all I keep saying I cant take my $$$ with me so might as well spend some of it.
Since no major house projects guess a watch is a trivial thing LOL I like getting my messages, phone calls, notifications on my watch, especially if I am out working in the yard and need to return a call Tracking my steps and sleep is good too. So might spend the rest of the afternoon checking things out.
Time now for a mocha and see what is on the tube
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:09 pm

Sandi, I did get on a horse once since rving. When I worked at the Triangle T Guest Ranch. I'm not terrified but it's kind of like riding a bike, I find both very uncomfortable. And no, I don't trust horses. But I'm in see if those of you who are so accomplished with them.

So, today, the manager knocked on my door with a 30 plus inch tv in his hands asking if I'd like it. A TV is on my list for the tt so now I have one. The managers here are incredible. So it's on its spot there, but before I leave it'll be laying face down on the bed for when they move it into my spot. Who knows what all will be laying on that bed then lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:44 am

Been getting caught up on here since I guess it has been several days since I last posted on MC. I have been dealing with some mild depression lately. :(

Went to my follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday afternoon. Then, since I was in downtown Palm Springs, I took a walk up and down a few blocks. Bought some English Toffee which is so good.

Sue, I was watching the Weather Channel yesterday and they were showing videos of hurricanes and tornadoes that storm chasers and witnesses have taken while they were happening. One of them was the tornado that went thru your town! It is one thing to see photos and video of the aftermath of those storms but to see actual footage while it is happening really puts it all in perspective of how terrifying it is to be in the middle of those storms and how powerful and destructive they are!

Haven't got much done around here this week. Yesterday afternoon, there was a golf cart parade here. Lots of carts and they were all decorated so pretty! The people across the street were offering each cart hot cocoa, Baileys, and/or cookies. It slowed down the parade but that was OK, since they usually drive by so fast you don't have a chance to see the decorations on them! :o

Today I did 2 haircuts in the park. The only other thing I did was make 6 mini loaves of Banana/blueberry bread. Turned out very tasty! I gave one to my next door neighbor. I ate one and will keep one more for myself and give the other 3 away to friends.

I called my SIL in Tucson tonight. Things are not good with my brother. The doctors found an aortic aneurysm, and also a tumor on one of his kidneys. He goes in for a couple more tests right after Christmas. My SIL is having a hard time dealing with that news, as is my brother. I was really hoping to sell the house awhile ago so I could spend time with them this winter. I would like to go there for a few days in the next month, but my car is having issues; radiator is leaking again, and the car is not wanting to start right away, like it did before. Both issues are costly to get fixed. More things to worry about. :(

Oh, a funny thing...Sophie likes to move things around. Last week I found a pair of my undies out in the porch! :shock: Then, I buy 12 packs of Propel water and when I finish a pack, I put the plastic wrap they come in and the cardboard that is on the bottom, out in the porch until I take out the trash. Well, she seems to want them back in the house so I keep finding them in the living room in the mornings! The strange thing is the cardboard bottoms are 8"x12", and the cat door is 5X7 inches! The cardboard is pretty stiff so I have no idea how she is getting them thru the cat door! :o I would love to have video of that! She has been leaving the tree alone but just naps under it now.

I work the next 2 days and then 3 days off. Maybe I will be more motivated next week...
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:02 am

you should figure out how to video it Barbie and if there is still a forum for funniest video's you might win... it's got to be simply amazing
went to get on the computer last night and thought as it was warming up what the heck I don't have the password.... was at grandson's and never used the laptop there... my dd came to pick me up on Weds. and when she came she brought my other "Idaho" daughter and her husband... so we gathered stuff up and went back to Idaho dropped the two off and were back to grandson's by 9ish...
my mom has the habit of talking to herself but almost loud enough that either you out right hear her or hear enough that you get the idea... yesterday she was "checking on me" and as she went back down the hall I hear her saying something to the effect no one cares about me... so I got up and followed her down the hall got her attention and told her to turn around and sit down (she has a walker with a seat) and rather loudly told her that we do care for her she is in her home because we do... I said my granddaughter is graduating from college and I want to go to the graduation and in order to do so you need to go to 'son's' as you can't stay by yourself... and if I didn't love you I would be down in Arizona in my own home... for some reason she has decided that dil doesn't really want her there I said if JJ didn't want you there you wouldn't be going... I am afraid that I rather talked loudly...
it's late 1;00 already need to go to my room
I read lots and marvel at all of your horsemanship ... I rode but that was about it I wish that I could get on a horse now but don't know if my knees would help me do so
you all take care
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:55 am

Irmi, please do very careful research on Prolia- the osteoporosis drugs have horrendous side effects long term. Know what you are setting yourself up for! Stuff like necrotic jaw bone and dementia risk are not to be toyed with!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:18 am

Velda, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I've done a lot of reading this morning and now that I've seen this, I'm thinking of adding more foods with vitamin D to my diet plus taking the vitamin D supplement.
Irmi

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 am

Irmi, Velda is correct, all those osteo drugs have side effects. There are only 3 drugs that I have been adamant I wont take, no osteo drugs, no hormone replacement therapy drugs (not an issue now LOL) and no statins. I did have a bone density test several years ago and it was normal. My lipid panel showed some elevated values, not terrible but my doc at the time started pushing statins. I have no risk factors My new doc up here asked me if I wanted a lipid panel and I told her nope. I wasnt taking statins so no point. Same with the bone density test. She said okay. Love her. I just try to moderate my diet and exercise.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:46 am

I have osteoporosis. I took bone density drugs early on and now have the hip and jaw problems. The doctors try to say that the new ones don't have what caused my problems. They lie. My current doctor put in my record in allergic to them. First doctor who won't consider them for me. That said, for over 10 years I've kept osteoporosis from getting worse by using natural methods, including vitamin d. Like Karen, I'm a no to all osteo drugs and statins. Irmi, I'm not telling you not to take either, just be very aware the dangers of them are great.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Irmi » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:51 am

Karen, I'm glad you chimed in and my mind is made up that this is not for me. I'm glad that I posted about the recommended Prolia shot because I've learned a lot about it since yesterday. Thanks to you and Velda.
Irmi

Postby monik7 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:34 pm

My doctor has prescribed Alendronate Sodium for osteoporosis. I don’t have osteoporosis now but I guess this med is to help prevent it. Do any of you know whether it has some of the side effects you’ve talked about? I didn’t find anything but what you’ve mentioned is scary.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:40 pm

monik7 wrote:My doctor has prescribed Alendronate Sodium for osteoporosis. I don’t have osteoporosis now but I guess this med is to help prevent it. Do any of you know whether it has some of the side effects you’ve talked about? I didn’t find anything but what you’ve mentioned is scary.
Sandi

Sandi, Alendronate is another name for Fosamax, which is what I took and developed jaw and hip problems from. Here's a quote from a quick Google search of Alendronate side effects:
Alendronic acid may make you feel dizzy. It can also cause blurred vision, and bone, muscle or joint pain.

And here's a good link to what to do naturally.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... h-training

And, through my years after the damage, I now also take Strontium daily. In 14 years I continue to get bone density tests and have had no progression. In the time (about 7 years) I was on Fosamax I went from Osteopenia to full blown osteoporosis and damaged my hip and jaw.
Beth
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm

Beth is right. This is the drug that caused so many people jaw problems

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... g-20061571

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1257 ... al/details

THIS is a great site for drugs. It is one of the sites we used in the hospital. This and Epocrates I have both on my phone also. Do your research before you take any drug!!!!

https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=fosamax
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:16 pm

MandysMom wrote:Irmi, please do very careful research on Prolia- the osteoporosis drugs have horrendous side effects long term. Know what you are setting yourself up for! Stuff like necrotic jaw bone and dementia risk are not to be toyed with!
Velda

I had a long talk with my doctor over bone issues - he does not recommend any of the osteoporosis drugs (I have also read up on these drugs quite a bit - most, if not all, have unpleasant and . . . "unpredictable" side effects - i.e., a person only knows they are experiencing a "side effect" when Something Bad Happens - and by then it's too late).

After a bit of a "discussion" with my doctor, he ended up recommending Vitamin D and a lot of walking. He further stated that there are relatively few people who actually experience benefits from these drugs.

I like my doctor.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Return to Morning Coffee