Tuesday, December 12

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Tuesday, December 12

Postby Othersharon » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:44 am

Good morning ladies. It’s been a crazy few days weather wise here in central PA. We’ve gone from nice warmish temps to the below freezing temps with sunshine, rain and a bit of snow. Today forecast is showing sun and temps in the 40’s. Buddy and I have been getting out in between the rain to have a nice walk. I’m having to be careful where we go since our favorite walk is partly in the state game lands and it’s hunting season. I tried something different the other day when I went to pick up a few groceries at the little store near me. It was raining but decided to take Buddy for a ride at least. When I was returning the little cart to the front of the store I thought I’d see how he’d react to the cart. He wasn’t bothered by it at all and was really good when people were coming out the doors. I even spoke to a lady for a couple of minutes and he set nicely! That was a new experience for us both! A step in the right direction. We may be able to try Lowes soon too! There may be hope for a few camping trips next season! Sandi, I’m really enjoying following along with your trip and all the lovely photos. Lyn, your haircut looks so nice. Easy is my way too! Liz, I’m so sad about both Thistle and your diagnosis. You have such a healthy attitude and I’m convinced that’s half the battle. I remember Thistle when I camped with you, Nan and Donna a few years ago. That’s when I still had my 2 boys. I’m hoping I can make memories like that with Buddy! I just realized I've had Buddy for just a year now. Been lots of up and down with him but sending him to “camp” was the best thing I did for us both. Carol, I’m glad you and Bill will get to spend some time in Mexico. It’ll be different but it’ll still be a good time. I haven’t put any decorations up again this year. I’ll just enjoy everyone else’s! And I won’t have to deal with taking them down later. That’s always been a sore spot for me over the years. It always fell to me to have to take them all down and when I worked it turned into a real hassle and resentment on my part. Thus I make it easy on myself now. Not to mention one less thing for Buddy to get into! He’s so sneaky when he grabs something but at least he’s releasing it easier now! He knows he’s not supposed to do it! So that’s about it for me right now. Sun is out so I think it’s time for us to get outside and have a nice walk. It’s good for both of us! Have a good day and enjoy it!
Othersharon

Re: Tuesday, December 12

Postby Cudedog » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:48 am

Good morning!

So very glad to read about how well your Buddy is doing.

Sounds like he is becoming your own special "Good Boy".

Congratulations!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:28 pm

Yay Buddy! You've got to be proud of that boy. And I don't miss decorating trees at all. I do enjoy having just a few cute things ( like the wreath I made) and today I picked up a lit, decorated star from our "free" table and hung it. It's battery operated and I'll turn it on at night. That's enough for me. I do have a few other little hanging things but these two will do this year.

I'm paying someone to take care of a soft spot in the roof of the tt today. And seal everything. It's a much bigger job than just washing, but I knew about it and just am watching my money go bye-bye. Lol Then I'll feel better working inside without, hopefully, worrying about leaks, etc.

I need to go to the post office and maybe I'll buy lunch/dinner out, too while I'm being so free with my money. I did take something from the freezer this morning, but it'll give it more time to thaw.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:07 pm

It's a sunny but chilly day here but the sun makes me feel better about the cold. Sharon such good news about Buddy! Maybe he realized it was time to shape up or he was going to be shipped out:). I'm with you on Christmas decorations we have a tiny ceramic tree that we plug in and we are decorated as much as we want. I actually really dislike Christmas and have ever since I found out there was no Santa. :lol: :lol: I've spent many Christmases alone by choice. Beth it sounds as though you have some really great help there. Always good to have a good handyman who has time to help or at least takes the time to work for you.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:58 pm

Good morning, sun is out with some big ole clouds hanging around. Makes me feel good when the sun shines. We have had so many rainy days lately that this was a pleasant surprise. I went to the store and spent $128 but I had not been for a long time. So bought some meat, veggies, and lots of other stuff ha ha No snacks tho.I was going to also go to Costco but maybe next week. Now I need to food saver my meat and clean the veggies. Just going to have a salad for lunch and fish for dinner. Making some vegetable beef soup tomorrow, some to eat and some to freeze.
Sharon such good news on Buddy. I think the training really helped, both of you. And he is getting older now so hopefully he learns quicker now ha ha But so far so good. Beth glad you are getting the roof sealed and fixed. As we all know that is one of the most important things to do. It will be worth the money once it is done, then you can do other stuff in stages. I have lived in this house now for 3 years and it is still a work in progress. Some of the improvements I made were spendy so one spendy thing a year LOL Last year I got the house painted and that wasnt really on my agenda but timing was right so went ahead and did it. Really glad I did as I do like the color. I dont think I have any other really spendy projects coming up. Going to have my electric fellow install a few ceiling fans but that seems to be it for scheduled stuff.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Irmi » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:29 pm

Good afternoon ladies!

Sharon, I am so happy that you and Buddy have made so much progress. Maybe he knows that if he disobeys too much, you'll ship him back to doggie camp. Beth, like you, we have kept our Christmas decorating to a minimum. We have a fiber optic tree that we plug in after dark and also turn on our two battery operated candles in the windows and battery operated wreath with lights. Because of living the way we do, our choice, we have minimal storage space and can only have so much. Getting your roof checked and sealed is essential to keep everything else watertight. Karen, you're taking care of the essentials in your house, too. Once the paddle fans are up, you can take a break from the fixer uppers.

We woke up to 39 degrees this morning and there is a stiff breeze going on right now and will linger for the next four days, with stronger winds each day. We still have everything secured in the pergola and it will probably stay that way until the winds die down. We used the $ 20.00 off coupon yesterday and came home with lots of meats. Among them were two pounds of beef cubes that turned into beef stew for dinner. We have enough leftovers for another meal. We're supposed to wake up to about 54 degrees in the morning, so won't have to dress in all these layers.
Irmi

Postby monik7 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:51 pm

I got back this morning from a 14-hour flight from Melbourne, Australia. That’s the part of going to far-off places that I don’t like. I watched two Indiana Jones movies and one other I can’t even remember the name of. I picked up my two dogs from the kennel. Leaving them is the hardest part of going on vacation. But they’re settling back in and so am I. Lots to catch up on here. I need to get busy.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 am

Sandi , I so enjoyed your trip and the pictures you shared with us... did you ever see Man from Snowy River??? believe it takes place in Australia ... it is one of the few movies I've watched more than once... there are other's of course but for the most part don't redo movies... except those that I don't remember seeing and my kids assure me that I have see it :? glad that you are home safe and sound
looks like the tree issue has been solved... brother is bringing one over tomorrow when he comes to get mom I can't say that I've become minimalist when it comes to decorations in my home... here with mom I've not really put any up as most of mine that I would really like to use is where I can't get to them... Mom used to go all out for Christmas of course it's been many years since I've been here (until I started to stay with her) so was really surprised at what she doesn't put up... or get out or ask to be put up I wanted my dd's to put out the village but guess it won't happen could I??? I probably could if it was up here but it's somewhere in the basement and I've avoided steps for a long time to the best of my ability ..
it's good to get the roof fixed and sealed... once that is done then you can figure out what is the most important next step ... I do know that when I get back into the trailer that there is a lots of work that I need to look into
saw on Yahoo that a dog was rescued out of Lake Superior neat Duluth in really cold water and 8 foot waves that pooch is lucky
Sharon that is just neat that Buddy is doing so much better
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby Cudedog » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:22 am

snowball wrote:Sandi , I so enjoyed your trip and the pictures you shared with us... did you ever see Man from Snowy River??? believe it takes place in Australia ... it is one of the few movies I've watched more than once...
sheila

Oh, Sheila, I remember that movie! I enjoyed watching it more than once also.

The horsemanship in this movie is beyond compare - most of the intense horse riding scenes are simply jaw-dropping. Many (many!) years ago I used to own and ride horses, so I could definitely appreciate the kind of training, skill and endurance it took to ride the horses in these scenes.

It was also, I believe, one of the last films that Kirk Douglas appeared in.

Sheila, you are correct, it is set in Australia, based on one of the poems of "Banjo" Paterson, also titled (as is the film) "The Man From Snowy River":

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/snowy.html

Mr. Paterson also wrote (in 1895) the famous song that is sometimes considered to be the "unofficial" national anthem of Australia: "Waltzing Matilta":

https://englishverse.com/poems/waltzing_matilda

Thanks for the memory, Sheila! :D

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:43 pm

Sheila and Anne: you both have made me very interested in seeing that movie. I got my own horse, Reno, when I was 10 years old and I spent every day I wasn’t in school riding Reno all over the hills where I grew up above what eventually became “Silicon Valley.” Along with my two Australian Shepherds, Patchie and Buster, we spent all our time riding as far to the top of those hills where we could see the Pacific Ocean. I also spent many days at a horse riding academy, where a very special woman taught children how to ride horses. She’s the one who taught me how to ride. She even eventually allowed me to help teach some of the other children and even to train some of her young horses. She also published two books.: “A Horse For Claudia and Dennis” and “Claudia’s Five-Dollar Horse.” She autographed the first book: “To Sandy whom I thought of when I built the character of Claudia” and the second: “To Sandy who has almost outgrown the character she created in Claudia.” Those two books are treasures of my childhood. In 2011, I found out she was living in a care facility in Santa Rosa, California and I went to visit her. We talked and remembered those days long ago and took a picture together.

Reno and I together. I had her for 25 years. I still miss her every day.

Mrs. Kenoyer passed away a couple years after my visit with her. Thank you Sheila and Anne for bringing back such good memories for me. I’m going to see the movie you both liked so much.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby Cudedog » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:17 pm

monik7 wrote:Thank you Sheila and Anne for bringing back such good memories for me. I’m going to see the movie you both liked so much.
Sandi

Sandi, thank you for sharing the memories of your riding days, and of your Reno.

It has been a great many years since I last saw "Snowy River". Since, sometimes, one's opinion of things change - particularly our opinions of films that we saw long ago - I hope that you like it as well as I (and Sheila!) did when I first saw it, all those years ago.

Please post after you have watched it, and let us know what you thought of it. I actually was thinking of you as I wrote my post.

Thanks, Sandi!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:02 pm

I’ll definitely let you know after I see the movie. I’m looking forward to watching it.
Sandi

monik7

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:21 pm

I don't think I've seen it either and have checked and two of my free streaming channels show it. I'll be watching, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:32 am

I remember watching it and being really excited told my "stepfather" that I saw this great movie no and no and no right now I can't remember what all the no's were no sex was one but anyway he looked at me and said that is a good movie???
yes thoughts do change but I think I could still sit down and watch it and love it I think due to the action ... that scene riding the horse down the mt side wow the beauty of the area just all round good movie
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:35 am

Sheila: the 3 no's: no sex, no (bad) language, no violence ? Is that what you meant?
Velda
MandysMom

Next

Return to Morning Coffee