The Day After Turkey Day

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

The Day After Turkey Day

Postby Colliemom » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:58 am

Good Morning. How many of us are wobbling around after gobbling down too much yesterday :lol: . I know I ate too much. So will be eating light today.

Was a good day yesterday though. Got a teaspoon of lemon juice from neighbor’s frig (They are snowbirds) and made the topping for my jello salad, took the recycles to the bins (mile and half up the road), got my leaf blower out and blew off the big wet clumps of pine needles on neighbors drive, didn’t know they were there till I went for the lemon juice. Been windy and wind knocked down the needles, small branch’s and pine cones all over the lower drive. Sure didn’t want to hit that mess under snow with the snowblower later. Put my snow shovel by the side door as we had a possibility of an inch last night, which we didn’t get. Ran the vac, washed a couple jackets to put away for Winter and finished the last Christmas craft figure :D

It’s 24° out there right now. Not going above freezing today. Skiff of snow on the ground, but snowing right now. Lake effect moving with the wind direction. Trace to an inch possible. I’ve got to sit down and go over latest charge cad bill, then make a trip to town to pad the checking account and get that bill off and gone, make a run to Meijer and get some lettuce and tomatoes. Also want to pull out the Thanksgiving display out front as I need the stakes for the Christmas ones. Planning to varnish them todsy and get them out tomorrow.

Doesn’t seem to be much hype about Black Friday this year. Some stores have been running Black a Friday sales for awhile already. Not many circulars out or ads on TV either. Even the Sunday paper I pick up, is usually heavy with Black Friday circulars. This year, maybe two. I think a one day surge is becoming more of a stretch out over the holiday season thing.

Best get a move on here if I want to accomplish anything. Have a nice day everyone.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: The Day After Turkey Day

Postby Redetotry » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:12 am

Good Morning Sue and all who check in later. I enjoyed reading yesterdays posts this morning. I was a part of the first forum also and especially remember Sparkle. I think her posts were the reason I originally joined. I think Sparkle and Soos were both amazing but in so many different ways. I can't believe how long some of us have been together if this group started in 2008. I remember so many fun happening from over the years. Little Bunny Foo Foo and Soos's 'recipe" oh and the woman and her daughter who were giving a trailer by someone on the group as they were off and on homeless. Mitch and her friend ? who were always up to something.

I miss Shirl and do hope she returns. I think we would have a lot of fun together had we met when we were young!

Toby has been coughing and I'm afraid he may have the mystery disease that is spreading so quickly in dogs across the country. I'm taking him in this afternoon for a Bordatella vaccine as his is a month late. They will come to the car to give it. So far this morning he hasn't coughed of course...but his shot is due.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:44 am

Good morning. Had a sleepless night last night as I kept waking up with that dang headache. I went to bed at 7 but not to sleep until 8 I was so cold so snuggled down under my electric blanket and I was gone. Of course woke up at 2:15, not surprised as I went to sleep so early. Got up this morning had coffee and nope that didnt help the headache so I went to chemical warfare. Motrin and Tylenol, Worked well after an hour, headache gone, I am toasty under my electric throw. I just wasnt expecting the reaction I got from the RSV vaccine. Had some breakfast, let the dog out again 31 now, and will just lay low today. Warming up to 46.
I remember the days of Black Friday of people lining up since the middle of the night to get the sales at so many stores. I never did that, didnt interest me. The stores would open at 5 or so. Now they keep their regular hours, sales are on the internet for a week or so, so no need to go freeze. I didnt buy anything this year. Just nothing I really wanted or needed. What I need is for my friends electrician father in law to come take out those damn flourescent lights in my kitchen. I hate them. I had them in my other house too and hated them there. You flip the switch and they wont come on if it is cold so you have to flip the switch up and down a few times then they come on........that just is not working for me anymore. He is coming over Monday to see what needs to be done and give me a bid. He was coming Wed but called to change the day, I had no problem with that.

Hope everyone has a good day today and has lots of leftovers.

Edit: BJ this is not kennel cough, it is called a mystery respiratory illness in does. They said might or might not be viral. Emma has her Bordatella too but I get that every year. We have over 200 cases here in Oregon. There is no cure that they have found yet. So my dog wont be going anywhere, even debating on the grooper next week.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:32 am

Just a quickie.
BJ, here's an article on the virus. It's in Texas now, too.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 652480007/
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:42 am

Good morning to all. It is cold here in Vegas, 8:30 and still in the high 40's. This is the first time in 15 years that we haven't been in warm Mexico. Yesterday we went to Denny's for dinner. When we were shopping at Albertson's grocery store the clerk told me to be sure and look at the back of my receipt as there was a 20% off coupon for Denny's. And on our receipt there were 3 coupons. So I had the turkey dinner and Bill had the Bourbon Skillet Chicken, he said it was delicious. We both ate way too much. Before going I did manage a three mile walk with my friend. She is 81 and is being treated for leukemia. Next week she can't walk as she will be getting her chemo treatments for seven days. I really admire her. We did sit down a few times during the walk. The nice thing about the Wetlands are the benches scattered through out. If she feels up to it we'll walk again tomorrow.
I finished my Christmas place mats, so looking for something else to do to keep busy. I need to go to Barnes and Nobel to get a book for the new Photoshop I had to buy after getting the Windows 11 computer. So many things are different, even with Microsoft Office...it is driving me nuts. And my printer doesn't do the some of the things it did with old computer.
Our Dish TV is acting up again, so called and am getting a new receiver. Hope that solves problem.
I am very thankful for this forum all the support and information. Our insurance okayed the Vabysom, new shot, for Bill's eye. Hope it helps.
Guess I'm going to have to learn how to use Uber - his next doctor's appt is for 2:30 in the afternoon way across town. Appointments take any where from 2 to 4 hours - very busy overbooked place. It gets dark here by 4:45 - I can't drive in the dark anymore
Not sure if I want to deal with all our Christmas decorations. I always thought I like to get them all out at least one more time. We'll see - they are all way back in the shed. Which really needs to be cleaned out. So maybe two birds with one stone.
asirimarco

Postby Cudedog » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:41 pm

snowball wrote: . . .oh and deviled eggs my son sent a Tic Tok where this guy is now calling deviled eggs "Satan's Eggs of Delight" thought it was rather funny
sheila

Sheila, that IS funny! Put a smile on my face this morning! Thanks for sharing!

I got one of those "free" turkeys Karen talked about from Winco. I'm not so nice as Karen - :roll: :lol: - I kept the turkey for myself.

With a $125.00 grocery order, the turkey was "free". Well, I didn't really need $125.00 worth of stuff at that particular time, but, as we all know, these days that old grocery store bill can mount up really fast. So I just bought extra of things I use all of the time anyway - you know, $$laundry detergent$$ (holy smokes, that stuff has sure gotten expensive!), $$paper towels$$, $$hamburger$$, just the usual.

Non-perishable stuff that I use every day - just put it in the pantry to use eventually, and the hamburger into the freezer.

LOL! And "eventually" happens pretty quick!

With the $125.00 order, one was allowed to choose a turkey from 12 to 25 pounds. I just dug around in the frozen turkey bin, couldn't find a 12-pounder, so picked up one that was almost 14 pounds instead. If I could have found one smaller, I would have got a smaller one.

Anyway, I put the bird in the fridge to thaw out on Tuesday, by Thursday it was still a rock. No matter, I wasn't having company or going anywhere on the actual holiday anyway. Hopefully, it will be thawed enough today so that I can cook it. Hope it's not still a rock this morning.

I have made my own dog food for some years, and turkey is good for dogs. I will have myself a small turkey dinner; then the rest of it I will bag up in small portions for Joe and put it in the freezer.

In a way I think myself stingy, and I also think that Karen is the better person for giving her turkey away.

On the other hand, when not on give-away, the frozen turkey was marked at $1.79/pound. At 14 pounds, this makes a savings to my wallet of $25.06.

I'll take it!

And, yes, I will be stripping all of the meat off of the bird, including boiling the bones. After boiling and cooling, (and tossing the fat and the bones) it is surprising how much additional meat you can get.

Joe is gonna be one happy dog. :D

You all have a nice day. Sunny out this morning, no rain in sight. Temps will probably top out in the low to mid 70's today.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:29 pm

Everyone must be doing their Black Friday shopping on line, the internet is really slow. My son and I were talking about computers this morning and the next thing that came up on my computer was Black Friday sales of computers and the very kind we had talked about. That is sure unnerving.

The cats have been out and some are back in sleeping. It's 62 so not really too cold. At least the sun is shining today. Frosty usually goes out in the morning and I don't see him until dark. I ask him if he's taking the day off. lol He hasn't brought me a rat in a while.

Sue, it took me a long time to get over eating so much food for lunch yesterday. I usually only eat a piece of meat and one side, not turkey and 4 sides.

Sheila, I usually make what we called the "Green Stuff" for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I completely forgot about it yesterday. I think I was the only one that liked it.

Karen, I haven't had any side effects from my RSV shot other than my arm is a lot sorer than it was for the Covid and Flu shots.

Carol, I wish I could walk 3 miles. I don't know if I want to get my tree out either. The cats have cleared the end table I put it on but everything is now in the floor. I don't remember what I did with the rug I put it on either.

I didn't see any of our grocery stores giving a free turkey. It's not hard to hit $125 when I'm grocery shopping.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:31 pm

I got a really good night's sleep last night after a couple of almost sleepless nights. Two days ago, I went outside for a walk and apparently did not do a good job of covering myself with spray because I got several more insect bites. They were all on my lower legs, so I think I need to stop walking on grass and stirring them up--sidewalks only for a while. Four of the bites were close together on my left ankle, and two were close together on my right ankle. I have tried several types of sprays and none really work well, plus all the cortisone products do not help either. I am assuming this is because of how my reaction is due to CLL.
The Bite Away thing does help, but it takes a day or two. At least it keeps them small.

So Wednesday night, my bites were stinging all night--mine don't really itch. They just get red and swollen and burn. I started out with a couple of Benadryl at midnight, along with some cortisone creams, and then a pain pill around 4 am. Also, kept using the Bite Away pen to heat the middle and destroy the toxin. I finally remembered that ice has helped when nothing else helps, so i got out some ice packs, and that finally helped, but I still got only an hour of sleep on Wednesday night. I am leaving a couple of frozen washcloths in ziplock bags in my freezer from now on. Had a good late afternoon Thanksgiving dinner with my cousins. I was happy they also had a ham. She sent me home with an extra meal for tonight.

Last night, nothing was stinging, so that really helped me sleep. I just got back from running out to pick up a prescription, mail a package, and get a propane fill. Picked up some more Benadryl and some other things, so am all set for another couple of days. If I have to go out, I have a pair of long pants handy, so am going to ditch the shorts for a while.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:52 am

decided to have a legit lazy day wasn't even going to get dressed when I saw that mom had well then perhaps I'd better do the same besides that the levis have pockets the pj's not :o
so got up from laying around on the bed and fixed supper totally left over from yesterday and some meat loaf that was in the freezer... I totally forgot to ask for some of the meat yesterday... took ham but didn't want to bring it home although a couple pieces of it and or turkey would have been nice. :roll: my fault just didn't think about it...
turned on the computer tonight and forgot to plug it in went to fix hot chocolate after I'd been on it awhile it was being really slow!!! couldn't get anything to open still haven't been to the bank or yahoo and they are usually one of the firsts... so got back and computer dead plugged it in and it decided to do the what ever it's called that took forever finally on still didn't get into the bank or yahoo and it's later than normal
even took a nap today shows how lazy I was being ... did a couple rows on the shrug even though it's going to be lighter weight more a summer thing I hope that niece will like it
was it Vicki ??? would so love to hear her and Mitch doing their thing... it was great
Anne have you tried line drying until you get a new dryer?
I was going to say something in reply to what someone said now can't remember ought to take notes :lol:
I really need to go and get the RSV shot as well as the Shingles... hope your arm feels better Karen
I have always hated florescent lights I think they are better than when I was a kid and in school and they hummed so noisy
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Return to Morning Coffee