It’s Sunday!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

It’s Sunday!

Postby Solowalkin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Ladies! Hope this finds everyone well and warm LOL, even here in Fl it’s been pretty darn cold lately. I wanted to give y’all an update, you may remember I was looking forward to traveling in my Bigfoot camper but my daughter had a catastrophic injury and became quadriplegic, that was July 2016, it’s been a pretty horrific 17 mos but not entirely bad. We try to celebrate any gains and just deal with the losses. Anyway, I finally had to kind of put my foot down about hiring some help as I’m 61 in Mar I told them I can’t keep doing 12-14hr day 5-6 days a week. She can’t afford much but I will supplement as I can and I plan on hitting up my ex to supplement as well. It has been a God send and even tho Casey was very hesitant ( she was happy with me and her boyfriend as Caregivers) she is very happy with the lady we hired. Can only afford around 20hrs a week but between that and her best friend coming over in the eve several x a week it’s good. The camper was still out at my friends on the coast in a Wa.and I couldn’t take enough time to go get it and shipping was ridiculous. End of April one of my BFF and her husband jumped in their truck in Oklahoma City, drove straight through to Chinook Wa hooked her up and dragged her back to OKC. We were going to try and meet up in Feb or Mar to get it. About a week after they got it another of my friends called me, said where in Ok is the trailer, my friend is coming to see me and will drag it here! So in June the camper made it to Fl! Had to take Casey to Ala (UAB) for a big airway surgery in July, some complications so we were there until Sep but she can breath now! I hunted and found a used Chevy Astro van to use as a temporary tug ( until I decide if I actually like camping lol) and FINALLY got to go on my first trip last weekend. A fiberglass eggs n s’mores rally in north Florida. Loved it, although the drive was a bit white knuckled. I need to figure out what to do about that, the trailer squats the van, even without adding stuff into it, buddy springs have been suggested, WDH with integrated anti sway has also been suggested. I’m going to have it weighed and then figure something out, the trailer brakes get grabby no matter how many times I adjust the brake controller and when that happens the front end gets squirrelly. I didn’t get blown or sucked in when trucks passed me on the highway, just the braking issue. Hope everyone has a great week! Here is (hopefully if I did it right) the rig (see how it squats the van)
https://flickr.com/photos/142084020@N05 ... 9613460542
Solowalkin

Re: It’s Sunday!

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 am

Good morning,
Nice little trailer, so glad you got to use it!
Another day in paradise and Tuesday were back in the 70's
I'm ok with 60's as long as there's no wind.
Y'all have a great day, be safe
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for checking in and sharing your update. It is unique journey that you have been in these past months. So glad that you and your family have figured out a way to find some balance in taking care of family and taking care of self. We can do for a little while what we can not sustain for long term....with out unfortunate results. Hope you are able to solve the tow vehicle issues. Bigfoot vehicles are quality products but I doubt that they are light weight.

Melting snow here in southern Ohio and temps are reminding my of cool Ocala mornings.... Audrey and I are back from our Wisconsin adventures and her romantic trist with her handsome suitor. This afternoon I will drive up to Columbus to pick up Josef from his stay with Cindy this week while I was gone. Now we just wait and see it we have puppies on the way or not.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:20 pm

ChrisAnn, great to hear from you again! You sure have had a very challenging time with your daughter. You are a very strong woman! So glad you haven't given up the camping dream! Cute little trailer! I think a WDH would be a good idea too.

Nothing much new here. Just working and tinkering with the house. I work again today and then have the next 3 days off.

Glad to hear those of you in colder areas are finally warming up now! A couple months yet til spring tho.

Have a good day! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Chris Ann, I agree with the above. And I'm so glad you are getting a break. Caregivers often ends up sick themselves!. Figure out the hitch... And get some more camping time in! Have you considered seeing if you could make it to the Hardee Lakes gtg?

I'm seeing big gains with Peaches. I only wish the gains were as fast as the decline was. But gains are gains and I'm taking them! We slept 10 hours last night!

I've been sitting outside with some of the ladies this morning. Specifically spending as much time as possible with Catherine as she leaves in just a few minutes now. I'm back inside making a hot chocolate.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Sorry you have had such difficult family issues, but glad you got some help and are back to even a little camping.

Not much going on with me today. Doing a last load of laundry because I have no idea where I will get it done in the next three weeks. Heading out tomorrow.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Chris Ann, glad you were able to finally get and use your trailer. Sorry your daughter has had such a hard time. My husband had a stroke last year and I had him at home for 2 and a half months and it was killing me. He had to be watched 24 hours a day and I was getting very little sleep. He's in a nursing home now. I wish we could take care of him at home but we just can't handle him. I'm glad you are able to get some help because I know you just can't do it all. Good idea to get your trailer weighed. It looks like you might need a bigger van.

Well, it's gotten up to 70 today so guess I have to go wash the car. The wind is blowing a lot so I know I will end up wet if I'm not careful. Sure would like to be in Q with everyone.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby beazle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Well, we made it as far as Mount Pleasant, Texas, on schedule, but last week’s cold snap caused us to skip Graceland this trip, hoping we can do it on the way back home in March. Needed 4 hotel nights instead of 1, also due to really freezing temps at night. But now we’re sitting here at 72 degrees, watching “Blazing Saddles!” Found a nice Thai place for lupper (lunch-supper) so just loafing away the rest of today. I had a nice mini-spa day yesterday in Hot Springs, and it was such a historic place I couldn’t help but think about the desperate folks in years past who traveled to the springs, maybe impoverishing families in their last hope to save a loved one sick with some incurable ailment. Puts our worries in a different perspective, that’s for sure. Off to Grapevine TX tomorrow until Friday, connecting with a former coworker & spending some rest time without driving. We’ll probably get a chance to see some sights in the Dallas area, too, but not looking forward to the traffic.
Be safe and well, and happy trails to those on the road,
Eileen
beazle

Postby Solowalkin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I’m down with the cruddy virus atm but as soon as I feel better I will be addressing the weight/leveling of the van. I know I will be better off with a bigger van I just didn’t want to invest a lot of money in a big expensive tug until I know for sure I like camping enough to justify it, plus I need to pay my other car off before I finance another one. I won’t be able to make that gtg in Feb am taking Casey to MIA for some appts. I’ll keep ya updated on the van situation.
Radar is entered in a couple shows in Ocala. next weekend, keep fingers and toes crossed he needs 3pnts to finish!

Pulling for Peaches to get better!

Safe travels

ChrisAnn
Solowalkin

Return to Morning Coffee