Freezin Friday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Freezin Friday

Postby Colliemom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 am

Morning from the frozen north. It’s -13 here and a wind chill of -25. All schols are closed. All but ours were closed yesterday, but ours are today. The sun is rising in the eastern sky and promise of another nice day ahead. Always a chance of snow showers. After tomorrow we are heading back into the 20’s and low 30’s which are perfect winter temps. But being the hardy northerners we are, people are just bundling up and going about their business. I saw snowmobilers out yesterday and the news was showing some fat tire bikers out riding the wooded trails. For those of you wondering what that is, fat tire bikes are like regular bicycles except they have bigger and fatter, more lugged tires. They enable you to ride in snow, sand and wherever you want actually. Some areas are starting to groom trails for them un winter as they can’t ride in deep snow however. It’s a growing winter sport and they actually can be ridden year around. They claim that the design of the tires has a lower air pressure than regular bike tires and is actually a softer ride than the harder ride of regular bikes.

CArol, congratulations on finding your new place. Sounds just perfect. Like here, you have neighbors but yet not crowded. I’m loking forward to pictures too when you actually own the place. So sweet that your daughter is helping you too. You will have one big burden off your mind and something to do forvthe rest of the winter. Then you can walk out and lock the door this summer and hit the road again. I too repainted my house. Used a neutral beige that goes with everything. Now this winter am doing cosmetic upgrades.

Martha, the reason you are getting dry skin is cause the dew points which measure the actual amount of moisture in the air are low when it’s cold. It’s a common thing for us up here in winter. Right now the humidity here is 63%, but the dew point is -21, making for extremely dry air.

Geez Barbie, leave it up to CA to be so picky. Hopefuly you will get that straightened out pretty quick. Yay, for finally getting the new flooring installed. I know you have been waiting for this day. Now you will be able to start putting the inside the way you want it.

Enough rambling for this morning. Not sure what I’m getting into today. Have a couple things, but will see where the day goes. Hope you all have a nice day.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Freezin Friday

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 am

Good morning from still frigid northern Florida. Dry air too, I guess, as I noticed my whole body is shriveled up like a wrinkled prune. Guess I need to use a moisturizer.

CArol, the place you found sounds just like what you were hoping for, with close, but not too close neighbors. Congratulations!

My inside, during the cold, chores are slowly getting done. Yesterday I filled out all the paperwork to take to the clinic to become an established patient there, moving my drs. up from Ocala. I'll take that by the clinic today and make a first appt. with the doctor and the cardiologist. Mostly just an intro, as I have already had my annual appts. for both in Ocala. Next chore is to organize my files of important papers, purging old outdated stuff and getting ready for filing income tax returns.

I'm looking forward to gradually warming temperatures starting this weekend. Although I just heard a weather headline about another approaching storm, so I better check what that is about before getting too excited, lol.

Have a great day!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:44 am

So, Martha, are you getting those crawfish today? Yum!

I'm going to look at manatees today. There's a warm spot where they crowd in when the ocean gets cold -- and it sure got cold enough last night! Should be fun. Drew had better stay home, though. I can just imagine him wanting to jump in the water and tell them what to do! :lol: Silly dog! Can't have that.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Oh, Louise, I love the manatees... Another reason to make Florida a winter destination... One day lol

Liz, I've tried to not complain about my dry skin... But a few years ago I noticed my doctor noted it in his remarks after my appt and has every year since. Last year I complained about needing a back scratcher and he looked and said "I don't see anything wrong. Must be your dry skin." I still haven't found a good solution to applying lotion to the parts of my back needing it the most! Love my back scratcher.

Martha, crawfish isn't on my favorites list, but I know it is yours, so I hope you're enjoying them today.

Barbie, I hope your painting is coming along and that you're liking the results. I agree with those on your post who recommended spending more for good paint. We painted the paneling in house we had and it turned out wonderful.

Bored at work, can you tell? Hopefully we'll get enough mail in to keep me busy for at least an hour. :o Yep, it's slowing down.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby chalet05 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Beth, you have to be a contortionist to lotion your back. :lol: Luckily, that's not a problem area for me. For dry, cracked hands, I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands - they also have one for feet. Vaseline Advance Repair seems to be a good lotion. I think Lubriderm is another.

Barbie, I am surprised you have never run into the problem with your birth certificate before. One from the state can usually be ordered online.

Everyone in the cold, stay safe! Well, actually, everyone stay safe!
Anita
chalet05

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Yes, I am sure the manatees have headed for warmer water. I read last night that iguanas are freezing and dropping out of the trees down there. Sea turtles are having a rough time too. Poor things!

It is very noisy here right now. The flooring crew showed up a little while ago and are working on the floors. Lots of sanding and grinding machines and pounding noises! Poor Lola is hiding under my bed thinking the world is coming to an end! I am hanging out on the porch for now but may go outside if it gets too annoying. It is getting dusty in here too so may have to escape outside soon.

Last night I dropped a small cabinet on my foot and cut my middle toe. It is now swollen and painful. Not sure why just that one toe but better than all of them!

Those of you out east and south, stay warm and safe! Those in the north are used to that kind of weather this time of year but not the southerners. I am glad to be where I am!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby grammynmaggie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

it is freezing here too... waiting to go into the Vets Pheebe needs her shots... congrats Carol on your new place I can't wait to come and visit we're not too far away... exciting times all these homes being bought for a home base... so we can continue to travel ... well
grammynmaggie

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

I am usually one reporting how cold I am BUT a storm front is moving in and it was 48 degrees outside when I took the dog out. I will take it. Sad for the snow pack tho as the freezing level is so high.

Making chicken in the Instant Pot this morning. I received a couple of great Instant Pot cookbooks for Christmas and have been busy pouring over them to figure out what I want to do next. Need to use up some of the meals in my freezer first tho.

I am off for a walk this morning as it is not raining very much so need to get those steps in if I intend to lose some weight. The dog is happy, she loves going for a walk.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Sue, you reminded me of a weekend when we went snowmobiling at night when it was below zero, and it was REALLY cold, not your ordinary upper Michigan cold. When we woke up the next morning, it was -20 degrees! The river in front of the cabin we rented was fast-flowing, so it did not freeze, but the water looked like maple syrup as it went over rocks. Have never seen "thick" water like that since. Took us until late afternoon before we could get our van engine started, but our Minnesota friends had a block heater, so it was easy for them! Glad I am out where daytime "cold" is 50 degrees.

Was going to go out to Moapa National Wildlife area, but decided to wait until Sunday so I can dump my tanks and get propane all in one trip. Nice and sunny today, so I will try to clean out one of my storage areas and also update my blog. Plus do some reading before my class starts next week!

Yummy crepes for breakfast this morning!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I had to break out the moisturizer. I had complained to my dermatologist one time that it was always itching across my back between my shoulder blades. He had told me before to let him know if something itched. He said there are a lot of nerves in that area and didn't seem the least bit concerned. I think it's suppose to rain Monday so that should help. This coming week is suppose to be warmer and then freeze again Saturday the 13th. February is usually our coldest month. Hate to see what February brings.

Louise, I can just see Drew trying to herd the manatees. I hope the cold weather in Florida isn't too much for them. They show pictures of them gathered up around springs but it's hard to believe that a spring is that much warmer.

The crawfish dinner is on for tonight. Yea! You know a diehard crawfish eater when they show up with their own dip. Most places give you a cup and mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic sauce and hot sauce to make your own dip. I ate at one place that gave you one of the small plastic containers of mayonnaise like they serve tartar sauce in. :shock: That won't do. The crawfish season got a late start because the weather stayed hot for so long. The new season crawfish tails are $16 a pound. It will be a while before I buy any. The price will go down as they get more plentiful.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm

The water in the springs are a constant 72 degrees so the manatees hang out there. They stay close to each other and sleep so they can maintain their body heat.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Morning Coffee