Brrrrrr Monday!!!!!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Brrrrrr Monday!!!!!

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 am

Good Morning Everyone !!! It got down very low last night and I'm in southern part of state. Checked Webster area where I'm looking for a stopping spot and it was 30 at 2:30 am. Oh dear my RV due to no engine heater does not like that temp, 4 hrs was estimated time to be that low, so maybe. :?: If I find a place can always hightail it to HL :lol: I do like that part of state, if I have to be here.

Beautiful looking outside !! Mr P is still burrowed down under his blankie, which is good as I'm not quite ready to brave the temps outside. His time table and my ol lady one suit very well. :roll: :D He had a blast yesterday, older GS and girlfriend came over and they loved him, he ate all that attention up. Of course he encouraged it, such a happy greeting and bouncing around, they had to love him. He got cuddles and gave licks. Such a sweetie I have.

No real news, will call Gen place for service and fix diesel leak. It's in Ocala, so won't push them, just want an appointment for some time. It's cold up there right now, colder then here.

Need to write some of my Christmas cards, a ritual I enjoy, and will always do, however our communications expand. I don't approve of text, so unfeeling and sounds harsh, rude, and sometimes insulting. Just my old lady opinion here, cell phones and texting or googling, or games are all taking the place of decent conversation. ENOUGH!!!! Off my box here

Coffee has warmed me up, will dress and get my day going. Martha, glad you had your short get away, Barbie, sounds like between, work, school and cleaning your new home and getting moved in you are one busy lady!! I know you're enjoying it all, well maybe not work :roll: Beth, enjoy yourself at your casita!! Sue, loving your snow pics!! Pat, pics I saw of grandbabies with Santa were adorable. Carolb, glad to see you back, don't stay away for such long periods, please.

Enjoy your day, whatever it brings, stay safe,
CArol
Carolinagal

Re: Brrrrrr Monday!!!!!

Postby avalen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am

Good morning
A nice temp for morning wake up,,62. Was able to turn the heater off.
Plans for today, will start the mh and run the generator while I hang out and rearrange
stored stuff in the bedroom. It will be good to get out of here and into there just for different atmosphere. Christmas brings on such a rut for me, its hard to cope.
I took a drive over to a local trailer place the other day to take a look-see at options on hauling my car. The salesman was very helpful , even measured my car and located all 4 hooks, and showed me the why this and why not that of it all. Although I'd rather tow a jeep, financially, its not gonna happen.
The car is paid for and the trailer is cheap enough to be doable. I miss having my car when I'm on the road, there for missing out on a lot of sightseeing where taking the mh is not an option. Later on down the road (there's always that "later on"), I can always sell the trailer, the market is good for that here.
Ok, that little tidbit is off my mind now, back to packing and cleaning out the fifthwheel. Gotta get it on the market.
Well its time to get dressed, y'all have a good day and be safe!
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Headed to Bakersfield, CA, this morning, which is a short drive. That will give me time to pack up the stuff in my front kitchen slide. A roller fell off underneath and has been sliding around underneath, so last few days I have not been using that slide. There are apparently four rollers underneath, but it needs to be fixed so it is usable, but of course, this means taking the slide out. The whole thing will probably mean overnight, so i will have to also pack up a small suitcase and take out all of my valuables and some clothing and night things and find a hotel. I am going to rent a car for tomorrow so I don't have to spend all day at the repair place. If I am extremely lucky, it might be done in one day. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have been talking to the Fleetwood factory people, and there is a small chance they can access the rollers by taking it only partway out. Taking it all the way out requires removing inside trim, and unhooking water, gas, and electric lines since they are all on the slide.

Last time a slide had to be removed, it was at the Indiana factory place and i left most stuff in the kitchen. That time it was because they had to repair a faulty weld in my floor, which was under warranty, but required removing the slide to access stuff and replace wood and linoleum. But this time I decided it is safer to remove everything, so I need to get boxes today. I just don't want a door or drawer opening and everything falling out. Tonight will be packing. It really bothers me spending all the money, but no choice. I would much rather spend it on my trip to the UK next spring and things for myself, but I will manage. Just a horrible way to spend money and hate, hate, hate, taking it out of my savings!!! So, end of my sad story.

Anyway, I have a lot of errands to run and shopping to do, so will do it in Bakersfield. At least I won't have to sit in a dealer all day. Will even treat myself to a couple of meals out.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Judy, I'm so sorry to hear you have to clear so much out and having trouble with your slide, sounds like a huge inconvienience . I felt so bad for you as I read it. It will all be over soon and behind you. So plow through the job and know I'm feeling really bad for you that you have such a mess to do!!!

Hate it for you,
CArol
Carolinagal

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Yikes, Judy. I'm hoping it is a one day job. Funny, I never had problems with my slide on my last rig... Other than cold and heat came in when it was open. But it was stories like yours and the fact I never felt I needed that space, that made me look specifically for a rig without slides when I bought Winnie.

I got insurance dropped on Cruiser, reported her sold to the county offices, paid for my new plates/registration for Winnie... And in doing so discovered my check book is missing! It's been a month since I wrote a check... Did it sitting at the dinette. I don't carry my check book in my purse, but it's not where I carry it in the rig. So the question is, if I didn't put it away, where did I put it? If I don't find it I'll have to close the account and get a new one. :o I planned to do more reorganizing this week... Guess I'll be starting in areas I wasn't intending to reorganize at this time lol

Right now I'm sitting with my feet up looking at the view through my front window of the Dragoon Mountains. Temps to be mid-60's, but overcast so feels chilly. Peaches and I had a great desert walk this morning. She's spoiled because she can go off leash back there... We go where we rarely see others. But some do the same as me with their dogs. So far here, all of us have been great when we do meet up. And Peaches loves the dog park here... Yesterday after arriving she headed us straight there on our first walk. I've made a decision.. No more winter workamping unless for pay... I'll be here part of the time, boondocking much of the time and occasionally finding my way further east... I want to go back to Texas and some winter visit many of you who are in Florida again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

It is 80 degrees here right now.

I just got back from buying stuff I need for a Christmas project. When my dad's dock was removed, there were still some boards left from the original dock underneath that he built back in 1956. I took two of the boards that were still in decent shape and had them cut in half. I am going to paint them white again and then make it look weathered. I had also found a photo my dad took back then of the original dock and shoreline and am going to glue them onto the boards, attach rope by dock cleats at the top to hang them with, and give one each to my brothers for Christmas and keep one for myself. I hope they turn out good. My brothers will both appreciate the sentimental value of these gifts, I hope! Lots of great memories by the lake :D , but the house, not so much :( .

I have been so preoccupied with my house that I forgot that Christmas is almost here (easy to do in California!), so I need to really get on this project this week so I have time to ship them out before Christmas. I will post pics in the crafts thread when I get them done.

So many projects, so little time!! :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 pm

Check book found!

Now back to regularly scheduled programs.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Whew!!! Glad you found it Beth!! Enjoy the rest of your evening now!!

CArol
Carolinagal

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Beth, glad you found your check book. I hate to misplace something. I recently changed purses and couldn't find Harold's wallet with his insurance cards in it. I looked in new purse, old purse, tore up my desk and any other place I could think I might have put it. I finally found it in a pocket of the new purse which I had searched at least 3 times. :roll:

Judy, sorry you are having so much trouble with your slides. I hear about so many people having trouble that I'm kind of glad I don't have any. Of course, I don't full time. My motorhome is pretty tight. Someone has to sit down for another to pass. There is a motorhome with the floor plan I want for sale in North Carolina. I wish it would hurry up and sell so I could quit worrying about it. lol If it was in Louisiana I would have already looked at it.

I made the mistake of heading out this morning in a sweat shirt. I was about to smother this afternoon when it got into the 70's.

It's hard to believe Christmas is only 2 weeks away and New Years 3 weeks. Where has this year gone? I sure hope 2018 is a better year.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 pm

And I did not even tell you about the squealing brakes I paid $1,800 for last August, and how they caused horrible vibration and hopping going down the mountain into Death Valley 10 days ago. I had them checked in Fresno a few weeks ago, and they said they were fine and the squealing just sometimes happens. Anyway, I called the people in Fairfield that installed them and am going in on Friday afternoon to get them to do something!! And for all those people who think this lifestyle is cheap and a good way to save money are NUTS!! I don't care whether you have a trailer or whatever kind of motorhome, it still costs more than you think it will.

And Beth and the rest of you--losing a checkbook is horrible! MUCH worse than losing a credit card. I had my purse stolen many years ago. The credit cards were easy--just cancelled them. But someone took my driver's license and checkbook and wrote checks for up to a year. I cancelled my checking account, but when a check would come in, the rotten bank would report it as insufficient funds instead of as a stolen check. (I changed banks as a result of that.)

So the company that received the bad checks would continue to send them into my bank hoping the money would be there next time. After three tries per check, which of course I had no idea was happening, I was reported to all of the credit agencies as someone who was passing bad checks!! And this was an almost full checkbook! Each time a check was passed, I had to send a copy of the police report (good thing I reported it to the police) and a notarized letter stating that I did not pass that stolen check and that the account was closed. It was a nightmare.

Luckily, I had just bought gas so my ATM card was in my pocket. And I had another credit card that was not in my purse, but my driver's license was reported as stolen, so I even had trouble using it for identification!!!!!

And I was lucky I had not paid any bills recently by check as they would have bounced, and I would have paid a fee.

And when I went to use my new credit cards in most stores, the clerk would run the card through and then have to call a number, and I would have to take the phone and give the person on the end (the credit agency) a password I had been given by them to prove my identity. In the meantime, I would have a line of people behind me in Macy's or Penney's or whatever. This happened for about three years. I don't know if things have changed, but the stupidity was the bank reporting every check as insufficient funds instead of as being stolen.

So, the lesson is to guard your checkbook carefully and take only one or two checks with you in your purse. There is no need to ever carry the whole checkbook, as I learned the hard way.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm

I have had trouble with banks over charges that were automatically drafted out of my account. I would try to cancel with the company and tell the bank not to pay them. The companies would keep billing and the bank would keep paying. Every month I would have to contest the charge and the bank would have to reverse it. After a couple of months of this I would just close my account. This has happened twice so I am very reluctant to let anyone draft anything out of my account.

I also worry about who I am giving a check to. We had someone take our bank information off a check to Walmart and get $800 out of our account. I'm sure it was an inside job. We got the money back but I never got a good explanation of how it happened.

I would not have a debit card.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 pm

I rarely write checks anymore and only take one out if I know I'll need to write one. I knew the last check I wrote (a month ago), my account showed the same, and I wrote it sitting in my rv. I was 99.999% sure the check book hadn't left the rv. I don't think I've had anyone in the rv since sitting 3 the check... My moments of being sociable don't often include having people inside, except specific friends... So I was mainly frustrated with myself that I didn't put it away (Which proved to be the case).

Judy, I'd have been a basket case with what you had to deal with. :shock:
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 am

Beth, the whole thing about my experience was the stupidity of it all. All the bank had to do was indicate when a check came in that this was a stolen account, but they told me they had no way to do that. And all the credit agencies had to do was put the same thing on their records so that no checks with that account number would be approved. It was not a single check, but multiple checks over more than a year. I hope computer systems are a little better now.

The frustrating thing was that someone could so easily write checks for large amounts, using a photo that did not even look like me, while I had to use a password to use a credit card in a department store or write a check for groceries.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 am

I agree... No excuse.

On another note I just got out of bed to go potty... Checked the temp in here... 58... Perfect sleeping and in bed. Chilly for going potty. My heat will kick in soon. When boondocking, I let it get into the 40's. I'm fine under the covers... But don't set it that low with hookups.

I have a list of things I mean to accomplish tomorrow (actually I see it's just after midnight. So today now). I wonder if I'll get most done. Some, I'm sure LOL
Beth
Bethers

Return to Morning Coffee