Cool Saturday!!!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Cool Saturday!!!

Postby Carolinagal » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 am

Good Morning Everyone!! "Cool" meaning any adjective that suits YOU today. :lol: It's raining here and cool, mid 50's, some might say cold or freezing since until this morning we've been in mid 80's. Fast change and until tonight I won't mind until the outside Christmas party, hope it doesn't drop to 38 too fast !! :roll:

Busy week end, I'm just enjoying the ride :lol: grands and DD have many plans as usual. No news otherwise. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Stay safe and warm,
CArol
Carolinagal

Re: Cool Saturday!!!

Postby avalen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 am

Good morning!!
Ohhh its winter everywhere, cold, and snow in places not normally used to it. I hope it warms up enough to enjoy some sunshine.
Got my windows fixed on the car!! All of them, cost me ten bucks and a smile! Have a few other things on the list to fix too. I think the guy was flirting with me,,,,ha, not going there! I wouldn't survive another heartbreak.
Will do some inside chores today until it warms up then get the yard raked. The new friend offered to cut down the tree making Maggie sick. Ok by me, bring on the chain saw!!
Need to finish Jacks treasure box, two more letters and then outline the letters with sharper, put the handle back on and done!
Been checking on the fires and continue to pray for containment.
Y'all have a great day, be safe.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Cool Saturday, indeed. About 48 degrees here in Northern California - warm(ish) by comparison to other places, but a bit chilly here. Sun shining, and no rain in sight. Will probably warm today to the low or mid 70's.

Many places here in California have metered water, which can be a bit expensive. The basic bill for water (without overages) is $70./month.

My bill shows my useage, and I have been noticing that my useage had been going up - slowly - over the last several months. I called the water district to be sure my meter was not being mis-read, and was assured that it wasn't. I was told to check for leaks (from things like dripping faucets, etc.), and I assured the water district that I didn't have any. Over the last several days I began to notice that my water pressure seemed to be dropping - not a lot of water pressure when doing dishes. But I thought nothing of it, except to think that I might need to give the water district another call to see why my water pressure was dropping.

Well, a few days ago I was out in the back yard tossing the ball for Big Joe and stepped in a wet spot that I thought strange, but again thought nothing of it because my neighbor does a lot of watering of outside plants (pretty dry here, even in December) and supposed that water from their yard had just run into a low spot in mine.

Duh. :roll:

Last night I was out tossing the ball again, the wet spot seemed larger, so I pulled some of the grass around the edges of the wet spot to try to see where it might be coming from. Finally (this had been hidden by the tall grass) I found an upwelling of water in the middle of the wet spot - not exactly a geyser, but pretty close. :shock:

I dug down with my bare fingers less than an inch, and found a cracked plastic pipe (probably from the in-ground sprinkers that are back there). :o Water coming out even more rapidly once the overlaying grass and soil was removed. I went into the house and turned off the hot water tank and the water to the house. I will go out as soon as it warms up a bit and see what I can do - it should be an easy fix (one that will probably require at least 10 separate visits to the hardware store before I am able to gather all of the "bits"). I have worked with plastic plumbing quite a lot, am comfortable with it (DIY is a lot better than a multi-hundred dollar bill from a plumber) and in fact fixed a leak on another portion of plastic pipe in the yard a year or so ago (this leak was from a water spigot that I could see dripping - couldn't see the underground one).

I travel now and again in my van, and I always turn off the hot water tank and the water when I am gone - even if it's for just a day or two. Patting myself on the back for that one. I don't like to think about what might have happened with the hot water tank had the pipe totally let go while I was gone, maybe draining the hot water tank with the gas still turned on to it. :o Maybe BOOM. Would not have made my neighbors happy.

Wasn't exactly the way I planned to spend my Saturday, but there you go. Better to fix it now, than the alternative. :roll:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Good Morning, warm here, have the air on. Very little wind so far today. Watching the Army/Navy game. Pouring down snow! Nothing much else going on with me. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Congratulations to the Black Knights of the Hudson! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Yikes Anne. Glad you figured it out and had to laugh about the multiple trips. How it's as easy as you think to fix.

I placed a Craigslist ad this morning for Cruiser... Just took a deposit and they'll be back either tonight or first thing in the morning to pick her up. Got lots of calls... Sold her for a low but ok with me price and about to go take down the ad. Geez, people calling on these ads all have sob stories lol. I know I could have gotten more money waiting, but yikes... My time worth is worth something, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Slept good last night so feeling better today. The fires have not spread since Friday morning and are about 20% contained, maybe more by now. It was supposed to be really windy today but there has been no wind at all around here so that is really good and helpful for getting control of the fires. Pretty much the topic of all conversations around here at work and stores I have been to.

So much to do yet around here and lost 2 days from dealing with fire worries. Today after work, I cleaned the walls in my bedroom to get the dust and musty smell off them. Also wiped down the lower walls in the living room that I am going to paint in the next day or so. Need to get those painted before the flooring goes in. That way I don't have to worry about getting paint on the carpet now, rather that trying to protect the wood floors later. I found a bucket of paint in the shed for those walls and it looks like it is still good so I won't have to buy more for that room. I painted a little piece of scrap wood earlier with it to see how it looks after it dries just to make sure it looks OK.

My furniture is ready to be delivered so I need to get the couch out of my den and into the sunroom so I can put the new furniture in the den until the floors get done in the living room. Musical furniture! :roll:

Finally got my ACA health insurance all set up! Will be about $165 for health and dental with a $25 copay for most visits.

Was busy at work today. Tips are pretty good there. Made about $50 per day so far which is much better than the other shop.

Maybe tomorrow I will finally get my kitchen stuff put away. Will also try to get to church before work. There is a cute little Unity Church just down the street from the shop that I want to check out.

Have a good night! Stay warm if you are in a wintery area!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Morning Coffee