Fire and Ice Friday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Fire and Ice Friday

Postby Colliemom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:55 am

Morning all. At least that is what the Weather Channel is calling it, between the CA fires and the cold/snow from the Midwest to the lake adt coast and down. Think just about all of us are being impacted in some way. Thinking of Barbie as the Lilac fire evacuation zone gets closer to her. So sad for those who have lost homes, businesses, livestock, horses etc. in the fires out there. Will be a sad holiday season. Prayers also going out to Steve and Irmi as they deal with health issues.

Nothing much doing here today. Just more snow headed in. Went tbrough closers and dreser drawers yesterday and purged out stuff that I haven’t worn, no longer want or gotten too big to wear. 3 bags headed to Salvation Army store. Will be doing more eventually, mostly un basement.

Hope you all have a nice day, those with health issues, keeping you in my prayers. Stay safe everyone.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Fire and Ice Friday

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

No fires here thankfully but my thought will be for California. Here we have cold, colder and will have snow. But those of us that come to the Cleveland Classic Dog Shows expect these this! We don’t like it but it seems like it is a yearly occurrence. :) Another late ring time today but still Josef needs to get his butt moving in order to get a bath in the “tub room” before he starts his beauty routine..... He will be so not happy.

On another topic I got my TEXT message this morning. Grant Forest Allen was born very early this morning up in New York State. Report is that everyone is tired but well and we are planning to spend Christmas with them all. Family includes two excited big brothers.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am

Good morning
Was glad to see Barbie post in the fire thread. Will pray she doesnt get burned out.
Really cold this morning, only 38! And snow in parts of the country that dont normally get snow.
Wishing i had some flannel lined jeans about now.
Need more hot coffee, y'all have a good day and be safe.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Carolinagal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am

Good Morning Everyone!! Great news, gram Tina!! I love the name!! Nice to have happy news in our group!!!! Steve and Irmi, need a break. Concerns for Barbie's safety and so many dealing with problems, soooo Happy News, new life is super to hear.

Rain and cold are moving in here, rained during the night but to be in 80's today and then it's really dropping. Tomorrow night is a Christmas party outside and to be 38!!!!! Timed just right :lol:

Have to make this short ( for me :roll: ) :lol: Errand day here and I need to get myself ready.

We'd like pictures whenever and if parents agree of Grant Forest Allen,( love that name) whenever you get any, Tina.
Have a great day all, in spite of weather!! Keep the smiles on!! They'll help others, and just maybe you !

Stay safe and warm,
CArol
Carolinagal

Postby Othersharon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 am

Good morning. Sue, the photo of your snow was beautiful but just reminded me of what’s to come here! We had a very light covering yesterday but it’s gone now. But it’s very cold now, 26 right now and not supposed to get much better but at least we’re seeing some sun today! That’s a plus!

I’ve been watching TWC and hate seeing the fire damages in CA. Stay safe, Barbie, and keep us posted. Tina, don’t blame the poor pup for not being happy, to cold for a bath! Good luck in the ring! And wonderful news about the new baby!

Not much else happening around here. I’ve put off doing any running for most of the week but since the pups are low on food I have to get out today! Can’t let them go hungry! And I really don’t want to shop over the week end this time of year! So guess I’ll try to get it all done today.

Hope you all have a great day and week end.
Othersharon

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:21 am

avalen wrote:Wishing i had some flannel lined jeans about now.

If your regular jeans are a bit "roomy" try getting some thermal underwear to wear underneath them. Even here in California, I wear thermal underwear all winter (both top and bottom). Keeps me warm, and allows me to keep the thermostat turned down low.

I always buy men's "waffle knit" thermal underwear, because it is (generally - I always read the label) 100% cotton. I just figure no one can see the fly front in any case! :roll: :lol: I also sometimes have night sweats (I wear the underwear at night too!) and the cotton "wicks" away the moisture so that I don't wake up cold and damp.

Women's thermal underwear is almost always made from polyester, or from a polyester/cotton "blend". Not nearly so warm as 100% cotton! I can't wear wool, because I am allergic. Men's thermal underwear can be got at Walmart for about $9.00 each (for a top or a bottom). Sometimes the right size can be hard to find this time of year in the store, so I just order it at Walmart.com.

Sue:

BEAUTIFUL winter photos, made my heart ache! Cold here at night, but not as cold as there (mid-30's at night this week).

Still waiting on the PM. . . Thanks! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 am

Just a quick note to let you know I am doing fine and didn't have to evacuate even tho the evacuation zone was just a mile north of me late last night. Fire is moving further west so am safe here for now. Thanks so much for your concern!! So appreciated!!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Just a quick note to let you know I am doing fine and didn't have to evacuate even tho the evacuation zone was just a mile north of me late last night. Fire is moving further west so am safe here for now. Thanks so much for your concern!! So appreciated!!

Good to know, Barbie. Thanks for posting. Hoping that the fire stays far away from your place.

Best wishes,

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby chalet05 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Happy baby news, Tina!
Anita
chalet05

Postby JudyJB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Fires are awful, but I guess the lesson to be learned is to keep all of the stuff that is important to you in a place that is easy to get to in case you have to evacuate for whatever reason. That way, you can grab it quick and won't forget stuff. I mean maybe in a house having one cabinet or closet that holds all the family photos and antiques, etc. Also another reason to have all family photos scanned and kept on multiple hard drives, at least one of which is kept by someone outside your area.

I always fear what will happen to my important stuff in an accident. I am going to get a safe this coming week so that I don't have to hide stuff and can keep stuff like my mothers small music box and such in it. Hopefully, it would survive an accident, although i know not all of the small safes are fire-proof. Going to screw it down also.

Left Death Valley and am headed for Ash Meadows tomorrow for the day. Got lots of work to do today, so found a quiet place with good cell service not too far away.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Morning Coffee