Wet Monday!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Wet Monday!

Postby Colliemom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

Good morning everyone. Hope you all had a nice weekend. You gals with new S&B’s are moving right along. Dona, now that your stuff is all over at your new house, you can take your time getting it organized. Barbie, rather than use water and vinegar, try Murphy’s Oil soap instead. It will make everything smell fresh and if the musty snmell is still around, I would suspect the carpet. I don’t know the construction of CA houses, but crawl spaces are another source of musty smell from dampness etc. CArol, sounds like you had fun with grands and the Christmas tree. Best of luck finding a new place.

Rain moving in this morning here. Yesterday was last day of nice weather for awhile. Winters coming now. So off to do some errands and shopping today. Been enjoying the nice weather, working in my woods cleaning up dead limbs, branches, trimming up trees and cutting down skinny ones. Got a big brush pile out there to get hauled away next spring hopefully. Just something to monkey with this time of year.

So that’s the way it is, Monday, December 4, 2017. Have a nice day all :)
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Wet Monday!

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 am

Drew has had fun cat-watching all weekend! Max (the cat) yawns at him and very ostentatiously turns his gaze away. They both seem to enjoy it. I enjoy watching them. :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

Good Morning... Back to mail room duties this week. Temps are slowly cooling, especially overnight. The super moon was gorgeous last night, but I don't have the scenery from the rv park to make pictures worthwhile.. Haha, not meant as complaint, but some places simply are better picture taking opportunities.

I ran into a snag on the website I'm working on. Found the developer that made the plug in that has the problem, only for him to email that I can feel free to change the coding to make it work right... No offer to fix it or even charge to fix it himself. Ahhhh, not the response I wanted.

Off to walk Peaches and get ready for the mail room. Have a great day!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am

Colliemom wrote: Barbie, rather than use water and vinegar, try Murphy’s Oil soap instead. It will make everything smell fresh and if the musty smell is still around, I would suspect the carpet.

I agree on both counts. I use Murphy's Oil Soap on my hardwood floors, on my wood cabinets (kitchen and bathroom) and on the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen. I have used it for years, and quite like it. If you can't find it at your local supermarket, my local Northern California Walmart carries it, so your local Walmart might carry it too.

I too would suspect the carpet (if there was furniture left from the previous owner, that might be it too). What you might try is renting one of those heavy-duty steam carpet cleaners at your local grocery store (what we have here is the "Rug Doctor") or hardware store. Also buy the carpet shampoo/cleaner that comes with it - the shampoo is heavy-duty. I have tried to go cheap on the shampoo, but have found that the stuff that comes with the machine works the best.

Sue:

This time of year I am always "dreaming of a white Christmas". The last time I probably had one was when I was about three years old in Kansas City, Missouri, before my family moved to California. I can still remember the snow (and hopping from adult footprint to footprint because I was too light and small to make my own) but only just.

It is a good memory.

I would love to be somewhere at Christmas time where I could sit by the window and watch the snow fall outside. I lived in the Sierra foothills of California for about 30 years, and only one year out of all that time - I was always waiting and hoping - did it finally snow on Christmas (although it did snow at other times during the winter - usually in February).

The year that I remember it snowed in the early morning, but by the time my kids got up the snow had stopped, the sun was out, and the light dusting that had been on the ground had already melted.

Strangely enough, I had always had a premonition that if it ever actually did snow on Christmas, it would be the last Christmas we three (myself and my two kids) would all be together in the house. Interestingly, this turned out to be the case. By the next year my kids were off to college, and never again have we ever spent a Christmas together there.

What area of Michigan is it that you live in?

I know you have told me before, but I forget.

I need to get on Zillow to do a little dreaming. :-)

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am

If you do go with a commercial carpet read the ingredients as many are very toxic to pets and people. A lot of research talks about how cleaning products are the leading cause of lung cancer in women. I would read a few websites to decide what to use.

One site suggests.

Commercial Cleaners
If you want to clean the entire carpet, renting a steam carpet cleaning machine may be your best bet. This type of machine will actually do a pretty good job of cleaning your carpets without any soap or detergent, or you can add 1 to 2 cups of vinegar for every couple of gallons of water to deodorize the carpet. If you need to add a detergent, look for green products with as few chemicals as possible, and avoid those that contain benzyl benzoate, tannic acids or perfumes, all of which can irritate your pet’s eyes and lungs. Also avoid any that contain other potentially hazardous ingredients, including sodium hydroxide and formaldehyde.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Redetotry wrote:If you do go with a commercial carpet read the ingredients as many are very toxic to pets and people. A lot of research talks about how cleaning products are the leading cause of lung cancer in women. I would read a few websites to decide what to use.

One site suggests.

Commercial Cleaners
If you want to clean the entire carpet, renting a steam carpet cleaning machine may be your best bet. This type of machine will actually do a pretty good job of cleaning your carpets without any soap or detergent, or you can add 1 to 2 cups of vinegar for every couple of gallons of water to deodorize the carpet. If you need to add a detergent, look for green products with as few chemicals as possible, and avoid those that contain benzyl benzoate, tannic acids or perfumes, all of which can irritate your pet’s eyes and lungs. Also avoid any that contain other potentially hazardous ingredients, including sodium hydroxide and formaldehyde.

I'm thinking that the the leading cause of lung cancer for women is probably smoking.

I am exremely sensitive to ANY kind of perfume/scents, and am ALWAYS careful with any kind of chemicals around my dogs. I have used the Rug Doctor carpet steamer machine for many years (with multiple house dogs I cleaned my carpets at least every six months) and have never had any kind of a problem with either the machine or with the carpet shampoo that goes with the machine. I have cleaned my carpets in this way for at least thirty years.

As an aside, the general life span of my particular breed of dog is about 12 years. My last three dogs passed (in this order) at 16 1/2, 14 1/2, and 15 1/2 years of age.

As for myself, I haven't croaked yet. At least not that I am aware of. . . but who knows? :roll: :lol:

Sometimes, if the carpet is very dirty, I will run the machine with the cleaning solution, and then come back later and run the machine with just hot water (this will pull any remaining solution out of the carpet). Keep in mind that the machine vacuums the solution (and dirt) back out of the carpet almost at the same time that the solution in sprayed on the carpet, so there isn't much residue in any case.

But to each their own. What doesn't bother me, might bother someone else.

I have often used white vinegar to "deodorize" my musty laundry after I have forgotten to put it in the dryer for a day or two. :roll: I put in about 1 cup per load. Two cups of vinegar to two gallons of water seems a bit too much to me. I would worry that the acid might react with the carpet fibers or carpet glue.

I have never had any luck with "green" cleaning products. At all. They just never seem to work for me.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Well, the carpet issue will be taken care of in the next couple weeks. It is all going to be removed and replaced with wood laminate. The carpets smell really bad of cat/dog pee so they really have to go. The previous owner had the carpets professionally cleaned just before closing and it seems to have made the smell worse.

When they put in the new flooring they are going under the house first to lay down a sheet of plastic over the ground to keep out the moisture so that should help too. I am thinking some of the smell might be coming up from underneath the house too.

I will get some of the Murphy's Oil tho for the floors. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby RitaMc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Barbie,
In the summer the basement in this old house gets a very musty smell. I buy a product called Ridx at Fleet Farm. These are crystals that absorb the moisture and the smell disappears. You might try that in the crawl space under your home. Love your new home. So happy for you.
1969 Shasta Loyfyte / Jeep Grand Cherokee
Breezie on the road again
[Image
RitaMc

Return to Morning Coffee