Good Morning, Friday!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Good Morning, Friday!

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am

I go in at 10 to learn the ropes on my new job... Don't expect to work more than an hour, haha. Of course we could talk so much that time could get away from us. Next week it'll be all mine. I'm going to love the week on/week off schedule.

I'm looking forward to the high temps dropping a tad. It's nice enough overnight to not need a.c., but it just came on already for the day.

But more than anything, I'm anxious to get my Cruiser. The person driving it down is due to pick it up Saturday. I've had new tires put on, new aux batteries installed, she's getting an oil change today... So she should be ready for her trip to me. I'm excited... Need to keep eating out of my cabinets to lower quantities for my smaller storage lol.

Have great day everyone.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Good Morning, Friday!

Postby avalen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 am

Morning everybody
The night temps are wonderful for sleeping, and my a.c. doesn't kick on until much later in the day. I have been getting much more work done outside these days. I've really made a big dent out in the shed but still have two toolboxes to sort through. One I got from my dad and one I had for years. Will consolidate and get rid of duplicate crap.
Can read the excitement between the lines Beth, so happy for you too. Can't wait to see it in Q.
Not much else going on in my neighborhood but I'm certainly looking forward to planning a trip, just have to wait.
Y'all have a great day.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am

Beth, I forgot where you were going to be working this winter. Is it where your new lot is?

It feels like it should be Saturday. I guess if you're retired every day feels like Saturday. lol Our cool spell didn't last too long but it is only 74. I'm sure it's headed back to the 80's today unless it rains. I think the weather man said we have a chance of storms tomorrow.

Last time I went to Sam's I bought a package of stew meat with the intentions of making vegetable soup. I am browning the meat but don't really feel like soup so will probably just cook it in a gravy. I don't have everything to make soup anyway. Since I was in the kitchen anyway, I decided to bake a couple of pans of bacon. It easier and less messy to cook a lot of bacon at a time and put it in the refrigerator.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 am

Acadianmom wrote:Since I was in the kitchen anyway, I decided to bake a couple of pans of bacon. It easier and less messy to cook a lot of bacon at a time and put it in the refrigerator. Martha

I agree! MUCH easier to cook up an entire package of bacon at once! Then what you can do is put it all in a zip-lock and pop it in the refrigerator or freezer.

Or. . . you can just eat it all at once. . . which is what I generally end up doing. :lol:

I try not to make bacon too often. . .

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

Beth, I forgot where you were going to be working this winter. Is it where your new lot is?

No...I left my lot and am about 2 hours away in Arizona City. I workamped here several years ago and am back... Working every other week was the clincher for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Cudedog wrote:
Acadianmom wrote:Since I was in the kitchen anyway, I decided to bake a couple of pans of bacon. It easier and less messy to cook a lot of bacon at a time and put it in the refrigerator. Martha

I agree! MUCH easier to cook up an entire package of bacon at once! Then what you can do is put it all in a zip-lock and pop it in the refrigerator or freezer.

I do this with hamburger. I cook up a lot of it at once and then split up the cooked hamburger in small baggies to use later for hotdishes, spaghetti, or sloppy joes. In fact, I need to do that again here. Just bought some hamburger the other day. Never thought to do it with bacon. I just buy the precooked stuff.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Last night I went with my real estate agent, Ann, kayaking in San Diego Bay to see a concert at Humphreys On The Bay. We floated in the marina there (with lots of other kayakers) to see Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham (from Fleetwood Mac). It was a lot of fun and a beautiful night!

We used her inflatable kayaks which were very large and heavy! I didn't use my new one since I haven't tried it out yet and didn't want to try it for the first time in San Diego Bay at night. :shock: But once I try it out and make sure it is all good and no leaks, etc, will definitely use it next time. It is an Intex Challenger, and I saw about 5 of those out there last night. Talked to one guy who had one and he loves it. :D I also need to get a different paddle and some lights for it to use at night.

https://smile.amazon.com/stream/ref=nav ... e_C_Detail

Working this afternoon but have tomorrow off. Will either go hiking or try out my kayak in the morning at a small nearby reservoir.

Have a good day!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Way past morning but wanted to say hello
Have another suggestion for cooking the bacon. I recently tried cooking it in the oven for first time. That is the way to go, less mess and quicker if cooking the whole package. I put a cooling rack in a sheet pan and laid the bacon on it so gross would drain. Worked like a charm. When I freeze bacon, just take it out and warm in microwave.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 pm

I do the same thing about cooking a whole pound of bacon at once and then refrigerating it.

BUT, one day I did that and then took out the trash. When I came back in, I realized with a shock that my whole motorhome smelled like bacon, and I was camped at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, which is well known for being a bear hangout! Basically, my motorhome was calling "Come and get it!" to bears. So I spent an hour airing out the place, washing down my stove and kitchen walls with soapy water, and even scrubbing out my vent hood! Also washed dishes and bacon pan and put bacon in ziplock bags inside refrigerator. WHEW!

Am still relaxing at Hensley Lake in California. Did get some other campers here, but still only about 5 other rigs out of a campground of 50 sites. Nice and quiet, to say the least.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh Judy, that's a great story. I'm sitting here chuckling away.

So I truly have bankers hours this winter. First, I only work every other week. Now get my hours on the weeks I do work: 10 am - 3 pm Mon through Fri with an hour off for lunch. 10 -1 on Saturdays. Yep, that's it. Then 8 days off to rest up from the hard labor (I'll probably be keeping a book with me!).
Beth
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm

I never thought about cooking hamburger meat in the oven. I'll have to try that. If I'm going to need hamburger meat or sausage for a campout I cook it at home and freeze it.

Our Walmart has started having a mix of beef and pork ground meat. I like it better than just the beef for some things. I don't know if they have it all over.

It has sure started getting dark early. Seems I just noticed it the last couple of days.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:15 am

Martha, I don't do the hamburger in the oven, just on the stove. The others were talking about doing bacon in the oven.
Not sure that hamburger would work very well in the oven. Have any of you tried that?

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 am

Have done broiled burgers many times over the years, and, its no different than doing a meatloaf either. Hamburger in the oven works fine.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:40 am

avalen wrote:Have done broiled burgers many times over the years, and, its no different than doing a meatloaf either. Hamburger in the oven works fine.

I think though that they were talking about cooking it loose to have ready for
recipes that call for crumbled type hamburger like taco's sloppy joes or spaghetti
sheila
snowball

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:35 am

snowball wrote:
avalen wrote:Have done broiled burgers many times over the years, and, its no different than doing a meatloaf either. Hamburger in the oven works fine.

I think though that they were talking about cooking it loose to have ready for
recipes that call for crumbled type hamburger like taco's sloppy joes or spaghetti
sheila

That's what I was talking about but don't know how it would come out if you aren't standing there stirring it while it cooks. It would probably be one big plank. I might try it sometime just to see what would happen.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Next

Return to Morning Coffee