Smoky Monday (at least in wine country)

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Smoky Monday (at least in wine country)

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am

At least it is really smoky here in Napa. I was kept up until 2:00 am with the sounds of sirens going by because of the major wildfire about four miles northeast of me. The problems started yesterday with a big car junk yard fire south of here. The black smoke was visible in San Francisco, which is quite a ways from here. Strong winds and very dry conditions really made things rough and the road behind me had constant traffic all night with fire crews from neighboring towns headed to the fires.

I was supposed to have a very early dermatologist appointment, but cancelled it because they do not want people driving around, although I am leaving in a few minutes. Schools are closed here and in Sonoma and several big resorts have been evacuated. So nice to live in a motorhome where you can just drive away from all this stuff.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Smoky Monday (at least in wine country)

Postby monik7 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 am

I’m watching this on the news now Judy. It appears there are subdivisions where many homes have been burned. There are 15+ different fires in Napa, Sonoma and two other counties spread by high winds (80 mph last night) and growing. They’ve evacuated two hospitals, one being Kaiser. If anyone is familiar with Kaiser, their hospitals are usually quite huge. Please stay safe.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 am

Wow! So sorry to hear about more fires! It is very dry down here too so hoping we don't get any around here. Judy, glad you are able to move away from there.

I have the first half of the day off. Have lots of phone calls to make regarding the house. Set up an inspection, put down money for escrow, etc.

I told my roommate yesterday about the house and I know she is disappointed that I will be moving out so soon, she is happy for me.

Once I know I am approved by management at the mobile home park and the inspection gets done, I will feel less anxious and more excited!

Hope you all have a good day!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 am

The Weather Channel is talking about the fires. I wouldn't like to be close to all that. We had a good rain shower this morning which we needed for a change. The guy that has cows here just planted rye grass so he will be happy. It's still too hot for rye grass but surely it is going to cool off soon.

I had a sore throat for a couple of days and last night it turned into a full blown cold. I think I was up every hour all night. This is the second cold I have had in the last month.

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada and my brother sent me a picture of all their food. Now I'm hungry for turkey.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:57 pm

There were at least three big fires in Napa including a car junkyard fire that started early yesterday. Could see from SFO. Fires mostly n hills but still close to city. All sides of town but Sonoma was hit worse. Check The Mercury News or sfgate.com for local news. Mostly for me problem was smoke. Son and family are safe and live in town but still only five miles from two fires. Some wineries in hills and Silverado Country club gone. Cell service in area is text only, but I can keep in contact with kids. Schools and many businesses are closed. DILs school is on Coombsville rd which is closed and also near Silverado trail which is street behind my campground. Still 0% contained.

Also evacuated hospitals were in Sonoma. Hilton and Kmart gone there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Morning Coffee