Tuesday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Tuesday

Postby carolb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 am

Gmorning all:)

Donna, hope you have good luck with getting your Trek repaired--especially AC!!!--since I assume you'll be living in it until you find a "home"? Sounds like you & Margie have had a grand time this summer/fall.

IL GTG, will look forward to pix & hearing all about it. Hope the weather cools down. I lived in Spfld for 22 yrs; typical falls in IL are so beautiful!

Hot & humid here. Will plug in HB so I can have AC to give him a good housecleaning, think about some more short trips before winter gets here. Not much else going on...

So y'all have a great day, be safe wherever you are 8-)
carolb

Re: Tuesday

Postby Queen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:56 am

Morning everyone!

Had one of those weird nights where I was tired and yet couldn't drop off, so it's a tired morning around here! Not much doing today except computery stuff for the move and then eye appointments, think my prescription has changed since I can't see distance very well at all these days.

carolb wrote:I lived in Spfld for 22 yrs; typical falls in IL are so beautiful!

I guess I didn't know (or more likely, forgot) this... we were almost neighbors! I'm in Urbana.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 am

Mornin' Carol & Mickie~~~
Not quit a typical IL fall since it's been in the 90's and humid for the last week or so, but actual Fall temps should arrive tomorrow. Last nights weather report then said we'll be below normal. Best way to check out the weather is go outside I think. :D

Well Sue should be OTR since yesterday for IL GTG. I think she was doing a 3-nighter with stops in WI from our last chat. I've still got a lot to do, but most of the stuff I've been using at Dad's are back at the TT in the storage lot. I've got grocery shopping to do, final packing and hitting the road on Thursday. I would have liked to get Zorro to the vet for one last check-up, but I've got a few months worth of his pain medicine which seems to help. He even played a bit with my cousins puppy yesterday, but it wore the old guy out. Some other things I can do on the road if I feel like it. ;)

It should only take me about 2 1/2 hours to get to the GTG. To tell the truth, I need a break from the folks :? Dad, God bless him, is a healthy 87 years old, but his quirky habits are quite a trip :lol: and Ma troubles just seem to be getting worse. Dang that woman is stubborn! :shock: Not much I can do about anything with her, but all legal stuff is done and cousin is my back-up medical POA, etc in the event anything occurs with her. I also paid an additional 6 months at the storage place. I have a nagging feeling I'll be back sooner rather than later, but fingers crossed on that too.

So that's my store and I'm sticking to it. Have a good day ladies and stay safe on the road where ever you are. Beth you better get ahead of any snow heading on your route I think too.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am

I unloaded the dog show stuff from the car and loaded one of the inflatable kayaks and life jackets, etc. Still need to load the Hornbeck today. Did most of my errands yesterday and only have a few things to throw in the rig today and the Lark, Audrey, Remi and I will head out towards the Il gtg tomorrow. Josef's other mother took him home from the show Sunday and is keeping him until I pick him up next week and head out to the next show. I really didn't want the responsibility of keeping his coat clean and pretty when I expect Lark and Audrey are going to want to swim and hike around. :shock:

So I don't know if the water is kayak worthy but I will have a kayak to share if it is. Hope to make it in by Thursday but may have to leave a day early in order to pick Josef back up before the following weekend.

PS: Josef took another Best of Breed on Saturday and picked up a Group 4 in a large Owner Handler Sporting Group. He is currently sitting in about 5th place in the English Cocker Owner Handler rankings and if he can hold on for another month he will get invited to the "Top Ten" competition in Orlando in December. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Colliemom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 am

Yep, your right Cheryl. I'm tooling my way down through WW. At driving day yesterday and JW. Wells State Park was beautiful. Enjoyed my overnight by Lake Michigan. Now having lunch at Pizza Hut in Antigo, WI. Heading for central WI for night. Anticipating an early stop. Then will relax and let the front and it's rain pass through. Drive safe those of you heading to the GTG.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Cudedog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

BirdbyBird wrote:PS: Josef took another Best of Breed on Saturday and picked up a Group 4 in a large Owner Handler Sporting Group. He is currently sitting in about 5th place in the English Cocker Owner Handler rankings and if he can hold on for another month he will get invited to the "Top Ten" competition in Orlando in December. :)

Congratulations! What a THRILL!!!

Oh! How I so loved going to the shows!

Many, many years ago I had a wonderful Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch (sorry, ladies - the proper term for a female dog, particularly in the dog world, is "bitch". The proper term for a male dog is "dog"). This about 25 years ago, when the breed was not so common then as it is now - so majors, or even points, were often difficult to find.

As a complete novice, I owner-handled my girl to #5 Stafford bitch in the U.S., (with one or two Group 4's along the way!) showing mostly in California and a couple of times in Oregon.

It really was a thrill, and I sill remember my sweet, long-ago dogs, and those wonderful days, with great joy.

When I was first starting out showing as an owner-handler, at one show there were maybe seven or eight Staffords (quite a large entry for those days) and two or three Specials (a dog - or bitch - that is already a champion). The entries went around the ring as they do, the judge judged, and then the judge pointed to another bitch as her best of breed. As one does when not chosen when competing as a Special, my bitch and I turned to leave the ring. The judge glanced up at me, and pointed me out to the ring steward.

The ring steward hustled over to me, looking a bit angry, and asked very firmly: "Where do you think you are going?!?" (People of poor sportsmanship sometimes leave the ring without receiving their ribbon, if they think the placement is beneath what they should have received).

I was pretty confused, and really nervous. I was still very new to the owner-handler showing game, and really didn't understand what was up. Finally I got myself together enough to say: "Well. . .the bitch won". I thought I understood the rules, but maybe not? Had I missed something?

At my comment, the ring steward got a very alarmed and embarrassed look on her face, bent WAY over to look underneath my bitch for the. . .um. . . "equipment". :lol: Yep, the "equipment" was missing. She then rushed over to the judge, and after a lot of whispering and pointing I heard the judge mutter: "Are you sure? Well. I wanted to put him up for Best of Opposite Sex."

The ring steward waved me off, and I then walked out of the ring, still very confused, and still nervous, heart still pounding.

It wasn't until later that I finally realized that the judge had made a **MAJOR** faux pas error in judging (dog showing ain't cheap, entry fees even back then were about $35.00 a pop (ouch!) for the privilege of spending about 35 seconds in a dog show ring with a judge, competing for points).

She had selected her winner that day based on her assessment that "on the day" the bitch she had chosen was a better representation of a Stafford bitch than my entry was of a Stafford dog (dog, in this case, meaning a male dog). (A bitch cannot be "Best of Opposite Sex" when the "Best of Breed" is already a bitch).

In other words, she had not judged equitably, as a judge is sworn to do. She had judged her BOB winner as a bitch, and judged my bitch as a dog. When I finally realized this, quite a while later, I realized that (maybe) could have made a very big stink, but instead just thought "What the hey. That's dog showing!".

Later on, I heard around that this judge was known to be quite nearsighted. Well, I guess so! :lol:

I laugh about it today (actually, as I laughed then, once it all blew over) because, it really was pretty funny!

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

Good morning gals!

I bought a car yesterday! I traded the Cherokee in for a 2009 Jeep Liberty! It only has 51K miles on it and is in excellent condition! It is a burnt orange color, very pretty! Doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Cherokee had but that is fine with me, keeps things simple and less things to go wrong. Was touch and go with the trade in due to the "branded" title on the Cherokee but according to the Carfax report they pulled up, the odometer was falsely reported as inaccurate at one point but the title was corrected later. A little confusing but they were finally willing to give me full trade-in value which was the same as the price we agreed to on the Liberty so it was an even trade. I am happy with that! I couldn't sign those papers fast enough and drive away! Lol!

Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Lots of news as I haven't been on the web for several days! Had a great time with Pat at the Cihak RV park! She sent, via me, a treat for all of u at the GTG, so ,don't. Let me forget to get them out!
I had a nice time at the Lance Rally at Ponca St Park. Beautiful, Hugh park, but the mosquitos were bad. Weather was nice, but quite humid. Sunday night a big storm arrived and stayed all day Monday. I got the prize for coming the longest distance, however there were two other trailers there from CAlif, so I did not win by much!
Martha, I am so sorry to hear about the latest with Harold.
Annie, loved your story of the near-sighted judge!
At least the rain stopped for me to get packed up this morning. It is cold and o'cast. I am planning on spending the night in Sioux City then on tomorrow morning.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Tina, when I first read your post I thought it said Large Owner Handler Sporting Group instead of large Owner Handler Sporting Group. I thought, now that's insulting. :lol: Congratulations to you and Josef.

Barbie, hope you have better luck with this Jeep.

I came home to shower, change clothes and take a nap. That chair/bed at the hospital is killing me. If I'm not there when the doctors come around I don't know what is going on. They are getting Harold ready for an upper and lower GI tomorrow and that is a nightmare. The orthopedic doctor said he can't operate on his arm until Monday because he has to be off Plavix for 5 days. All of this has just been a total circus.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Need that hyphen in "owner-handler" to make it clearer! (The grammar teacher in me has come out.) And funny story about a judge that couldn't tell the boys from the girls! I once managed tuition assistance for a GM office and way back in those pre-computer days, had to record sex and race of everyone taking college classes for EEO reporting. Would look them up in master list for the 1,000 employees I was responsible for tracking when forms came to me through interoffice mail. One day, a person named "Tracy" brought his form in personally. Oops. Corporate had him listed as female, and I had to call someone to let them know he was definitely male!

I wondered where you were, Lyn. Glad you checked in. Are you headed back home now?

I went for a quick beach walk, but it was really foggy and I could not see hardly anything, so I came back. Will maybe get bike out later. Love the cool breezes along the ocean here, even if I cannot see the water. Got to work on my blog and do a couple of other indoor things while waiting for fog to clear.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Anne, I loved your story. Yes, there are even parts of the movie "Best in Show" that those of us showing realize isn't too far off truth rather than just humor. Guess there is an advantage in the coated breeds that the judges actually have to reach back there and determine that the dog is intact so eye sight wouldn't matter....but memory would. My friend was the stewart for a judge two weeks ago that had to be hired at the last minute to replace a judge that suddenly got ill right before the show weekend. The woman is suffering from some effects of Alzheimers which the club didn't realize at the time. Cindy spent extra time keeping the judge connected to the ring routines...such as what sex or age group was in, etc.

And we don't even need to go over the times that the person/dog going BOB just happens to be a member of the show giving club.....or has a personal friendship with the particular judge...... Yes, dog shows do have politics in play. But this is a breed that on any given day, you can sometimes over come all the outside stuff and get judged for the dog/bitch you brought into the ring.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Return to Morning Coffee