Thursday, goodbye summer

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Thursday, goodbye summer

Postby carolb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 am

G'morning all :)

Last day of summer! Still in central NY, we're having summer-like weather, which makes me forget the very cool, wet summer we had up until about a week ago. Works for me since I still have projects I want to do in my yard...

Lyn, really great that you made it to Pat's! Seems like only yesterday you left SoCal. Alice, thinking of you & camp driveway. Will miss my winter home when you move from there, but Superior is beautiful. All others making it through highs or lows, well, I guess we all have our days, but we survive:)

As for me, I've finished my 10-day stint of camping each night at cousin's to take care of her cats each a.m & p.m., then coming home & spending my days working in my yard. Surely not as grueling as the six weeks you did, Liz, but I kinda can feel your pain! So, after all that back & forth driving (all of 10 miles each way), I'm loading up the pups in HarBor & going to a real campground for the weekend! Will be nice to stay put for longer than 10- 12 hrs at a time:)

So y'all enjoy the last day of summer '17...& welcome fall, the time of year when many start moving to find warm winter destinations, thus "the endless summers" :) & y'all be safe wherever you are 8-)
carolb

Re: Thursday, goodbye summer

Postby Liz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am

Thistle's all excited this morning as I load up the RV for a two to three week trip along the gulf coast to New Orleans. Praying all hurricanes keep away. Yesterday the cleanup crew finally came down my street removing downed trees and piles of branches and twigs that lined the streets. I gave each worker a power bar and thanked them for their efforts. Trees were the major casualty here in the village. There were many stories of kindness and volunteerism here during and in the wake of the storm. Park of the Pines (the mobile home park) was under mandatory evacuation. Residents in stick and brick apartments and homes generously offered their spare bedrooms for evacuees, both from here and other places, so no one had to go far if they didn't want to or couldn't. I, as you know, took my new RV and went to TN. The main dining room was kept open and kept the residents fed daily while the power was out. What a wonderful caring community this is. Apparently, the new security alarm installed in my home went off when power was restored. A kind neighbor who I gave the location of a spare key, went in my home and entered the code to turn it off. I'm sure it would have driven the neighborhood crazy otherwise, and necessitated emergency response when none was needed.

I hope everyone has a blessed day today. I will be on the road.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Colliemom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 am

Morning Carolb, Liz and all. Well, it may be the last day of summer, bu going to feel like the first day with temps in mid 80's predicted for next few days. Not my cup of tea, as I like cooler weather. And also trying to get ready to leave for IL no fun in that heat. Still haven't figured a route from here to there either. The U.P. And it's fall color is pulling on me too. Both coming at the same time. So may be doing a roundabout way to GTG.

Carolb, you are really enjoying working in your yard. When you get bored, come over here and we will do mine :lol: I'm starting to get new flowerbeds ready for spring plantings and have planted a few flowers in with hopes they survive winter. Liz, you certainly picked the right place to call home when you finally decide to settle down. I love areas like that.

Time to move along, Molly has annual Heartworm and Titer test his morning, so gotta get us ready to roll. And of course Miss Piper will go along for the ride. Molly is her world outside of me. Where goes one, goes the other.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Queen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am

Morning all!

We are six days away from Mary retiring, and 15 away from heading back to FL to put the condo on the market.
I'm super antsy to get the show on the road! Once we're in FL the condo goes up for sale and we sit and wait some more. But at least we'll be retired and spending the time being outside and maybe getting in a little better shape!

94 for the high today, not digging it! I want some cooler temps before I have to go back to the furnace that is FL. LOL
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am

Will head over to the gym for just a bit. I tell myself I don't have to stay for hours but that anything I do is more than if I stayed home and puttered around here. Loading the rig back up with dogs tomorrow morning and heading off to New Castle, PA, for this week's dog shows. I should get back in just about time to do a load of laundry, take out some "show clothes" put in more camping clothes and head out to the west this time and Illinois. Today is for running a few errands and being sure all the grooming stuff is loaded. The dogs know when it is show time. It means that nails have been dremeled and Josef has spent his time on the grooming table. Lark was in for a surprise last night though as I had purchased a larger table (I had given away my last one years ago to a 4-H family with Labs) and she got prettied up. She tolerated standing on the table better than I would have predicted. It is so much easier to brush and trim her with a table. I am not looking forward to running around the show rings outside in the predicted heat...I don't do heat well. At least Saturday starts with an early ring time.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 am

Yes, Tina, watch that heat -- like you and Sue, I prefer cooler weather. Liz, keep us posted on the coast road; that sounds like a really interesting route.

I'm going to paint the cabinet in the van today -- it's a bit scabby-looking. Blue, of course! :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 am

I cut out an ad for a local Gym that listed all the classes they have. Of course, I probably won't join but I should. I should bring the portable table I bought for camping(and seldom bring) in and use it to brush the cats on. The 2 Maine Coon cats need brushing, especially Pinky. She is so big that I don't think she does much grooming herself. She has a spot on the tread mill she lays all the time. When the home health people were coming they thought she was a statue.

We are having a shrimp boil at Betty's tonight and I had a request for a rum cake. Got that made last night. The 2 friends at Betty's are heading to New Orleans to meet up with Liz and others. I sure hope I get to go. With things going on with Harold I never know from day to day what is going to happen. Liz found the perfect place to have as a home base. It's good to have someone you can rely on if you are not home.

Summer is not letting go here. My outdoor thermometer says 101. :shock:

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby avalen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am

Good morning
Been up and busy for a while now, unloaded stuff from the motorhome, got it stored in the shed, already organized. Course the other side of the shed looks like chaos, but its not that noticeable if you look away, lol. a big shed, 20 long, maybe 12 wide. Still a few items in the motorhome, my grandmothers sewing machine and chest, family photos and slides, all of which come inside. That's on the agenda later today.
I had found another property in superior to buy but sadly the other day it got tagged sale pending. That's the third time, at this rate I'll be living wherever I park it! Not really what I want to do, I prefer a home base. This park has about 18 months until d day. Time still to think on options.
Off to get busy again. Y'all have a great day, be safe, be well and happy travels to those on the road.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Good morning gals!

No more sleeping in for me this morning. There is a Marine Air Base just a few miles south of me and they are flying their planes overhead right now and they are very, very loud!! :shock: One goes over every minute on the nose! Must have a lot of planes or are doing touch and goes. Been going on for about half an hour now.

Had a good class last night. Spent a couple hours on the beach beforehand which was nice. I was overdue for my ocean fix!

Working later this afternoon. Gonna get laundry caught up and run some errands beforehand. Need to do some reading homework too.

Hope you all have a good day! Sounds like some of you are getting ready to head out and others are getting ready to hunker down for the coming winter.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm

After three days of solid rain and one day of partly rainy, the sun is finally out, Yea! And the road is dry so I can get my bike out and go for a ride to explore this place. This is the first time I have been to Nehalem Bay State Park, but I have spent nearly all the four days inside. You know how we tell people not to count on buying a smaller RV because they think they will spend most of their time outside? Well, this is an example of how you can get stuck inside for several days in a row. (One lady I talked to said she once spent three days inside her small rig with her husband and two big wet dogs! The reason they were wet was because they kept wanting to go out when it was raining.)

A screen house would have been nice, but it would have flooded in the heavy, blowing rain.

I did go out to the town of Nehalem and walked around. Also, drove a few miles and bought a couple of cooked crab. Ate one last night but was disappointed in how little meat was in it. I think I was sold some fairly small crabs compared to what I have had before.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Judy the crabs are not very full this time of year. December and January are the best months for fully packed crab.

I am busy getting organized to hit the road in a week. Have some company here now for a couple of days and then after they leave I will be in full packing mode. My RV is at the RV shop getting a few things (minor) taken care of. Then need to fill the propane as it is chilly over in eastern Oregon this time of year.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Barbara, what type class are you taking? San Diego must be lovely now. We finally cooled to upper 70's low 80's but next week back yo 90 or so. Thankfully no more 100's they say.
Well Mel's cancer failed to respond to the clinical trial drugs, so Dr getting approval for a different chemo. It will be IV and rougher on him. IV once a week for 3 weeks then a week off. Praying it works , but there are more backup plans if his fails. His CT showed cancer growth and a new spot on bone, as well as new broken ribs, so he will also be started on a osteoporosis drug to strengthen bone.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Liz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Aw, sad to hear this news, Velda. Continuing to pray for you both as he begins a new round of treatments.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Aww, Velda, I was so hoping this drug would work. But, like Mel and you, I'm confident there are still options. Just hate that you two keep having to fight over and over again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 am

so sorry Velda to hear that news...glad there is a back up plan though...
as to the weather any one want my 40 outside 41 inside I will be glad to send it to you
going to head to SD to get driver's license tomorrow hopefully will find a place open to get the license
at...
sheila

on edit no there are no places open in the western SD so going to hang out at the brother's for an extra day
then go on to Rapid City will be seeing Beth one day ....
sheila
Last edited by snowball on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowball

Next

Return to Morning Coffee