Eclipse Monday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Eclipse Monday

Postby Colliemom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 am

Morning. Today is the big day. Total solar eclipse is all over the news. Course, whether you get to see any of it will depend on weather. Here we are suposed to have cloudy to partly cloudy skies with chance of late T-storms. Haven't decided if I am just going to stay here or go over by Lake Michigan. The Seeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is hosting special viewing event and the International Dark Sky park at Mackinaw City is as well. Both will have special filtered telescopes and glasses available. If you buy glases, make sure they are 12312-2 ISO.

Otherwise, nothing special on my agenda. Cut and trimmed my grass yesterday and edged the walks and drive, so caught up on that stuff. No painting till later this week as rain for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Mickie, sounds like a good plan you two have. FL condo is going to bleed you out of green that could pay your health insurance. 2 more days for Liz :D Velda, hope Mel's chemo treatments help. Lyn, safe travels as you journey east. Cheryl, hope those slide parts come in and you can get back in business.

Time to move along here. Have a nice day all, eclipse or not if you so choose. Those on the road, be careful driving while it's happening.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Eclipse Monday

Postby Queen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 am

Morning Sue!

Yup, our carefully saved little nest egg cannot survive being nickle and dimed, it will just disappear and we'll be those 80 year olds you see still working at the grocery store because we HAVE to, not because we want a little extra money.

Not much doing here today, we're supposed to have clouds and thunderstorms most of the day so all we'll know of the eclipse is it got darker for a while.

Hope everyone has a beautiful day!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Redetotry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:20 am

I haven't been out anywhere this morning but so far not the massive crowds they planned for here. Yesterday morning on the way to the nearby small town of Alto Pass, the only traffic I saw was 7 horse and buggies with the Amish traveling to Sunday services and 8 cars. NO one but my friend and I at the local restaurant we met at. The owner was baking fresh muffins and pies plus had biscuits and gravy. We were there until 9 AM and no one else came in during that time except a large German Shepherd who looked in the door wanting to join us! There was a State cop car driving up and down the empty street (yes that is singular) :) . They said that was the first time they had ever seen a cop in town! I'm sure it has changed though by now as the Bald Knob cross is up the road and space around it has been booked for some time by news people and serious photographers. Also on near by Cedar Lake there were 8 heavily armed Federal cops!!! The lake has a very small boat launch area and their 8 boats took up most of the room and their presence of course caused a bit of alarm causing people to wonder if something had happened. But they said they had been 'assigned' to that lake. I bet they were melted by the end of the day with their bullet proof vest and amo. It was one of those realllllly hot, humid days where no one really should be outside very long. 90+ temps and over 75% dew point isn't that safe. Here is a link about Carbondale. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... UeIKHQ&s=1
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm

I remembered we have a welding machine so went out and got the welding goggles. The eclipse isn't much here but it has gotten darker and the temperature is down to 87 and it was in the 90's.

We picked up the golf cart I have been wanting. Now I can haul all my fishing stuff to the pond. There is an alligator in the pond and my son put one of the big live traps out there because he thinks he can catch it. I have never heard of anyone catching one in a live trap so we will see. He will get relocated if we can catch it.

Not much else going on here.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Queen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:54 pm

I just finished here, we ended up with just a thin layer of clouds so we got a decent view of the 96% totality. It was pretty cool, but gotta say it was also unsettling. Felt very weird until the sun came back, can't imagine what it must have been like for folks back in prehistory, wondering IF it was coming back.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Redetotry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Acadianmom wrote:I remembered we have a welding machine so went out and got the welding goggles. Martha

Martha I hope the welding goggles were above a #13, if lower you could get damage, at least that was in all the information we got here. Personally thought it total disappointment it was supposed to get really dark, so dark you wouldn’t be able to see someone a few feet away. It got a bit dark but I could see across the street. Michael saw a bit of the circle but I didn’t want to look. I only stayed out about a minute and if temp had dropped didn’t notice it is HOT and HUMID. I wish i had stayed in as it felt really creepy and like there was no air. There were 10 seconds of totality and sun came back really bright! My friend in Alto Pass said it was awesome there and it did get dark. A cloud came over just about the time it happened so may have caused it to be different but wouldn’t explain why it didn’t get very dark and why we didn't get any good shadows through the trees.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby elkriverrats » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 pm

We had 77% coverage here. Was in the office today so we took breaks to go peek. I was the only one with glasses but we had two welding helmets in the shop and we all took turns looking. Pretty amazing and made me feel very small!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby WickedLady » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:48 pm

High, thin clouds here but got a good look.
WickedLady

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 pm

I was driving east on Hwy 80 at Carlin, NV when the eclipse began. I listened to the entire eclipse on the radio! Very interesting with astromers and NASA scientists as well as N pR announcers. BJ, there will be another eclipse at Carbondale in 7 years! While it was occurring up in Idaho, I took off my colored glasses and watched the temperature fall 3 degrees. Several announcers commented on the temperature falling. People were really excited. I could hear cheering and clapping in the background. Sandi, did you see any of the balloons NASA released?
I am spending the night in Wells, NV. Didn't sleep well last night and hope to get a goods night sleep tonight.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Nothing even noticeable here. I was at work. I did the pinhole thing in a piece of paper and could see the outline of the eclipse from that, which was neat.

Apparently the kids here are all starting school with long hair next week, because we are still not very busy. I did 7 haircuts in 8 hours today! Not good! I did get a $14 tip from one lady tho! I will need to find a busier shop. Too much drama at this one too. Two of the stylists don't get along at all and think it is OK to fight in front of the customers. I told them that is not OK. (of course I got the 5 year old response of "she started it!" :roll: ).

Looks like I will be starting hypnotherapy training at the end of September! Can't wait! Supposed to be a really good accredited school in Pacific Beach. Will be part time so I can still work around it, cutting hair.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 pm

I was amazed at the whole thing...and wished I'd thought to bring out a thermometer when we first sat
down was joking about sun bathing at the total of it was wishing I had a coat on...didn't get really dark but sorta like twilight
haven't seen the traffic we thought we would but lots of people at church
son in law and daughter made it to SLC he was actually able to leave before the eclipse...he is a deputy
sheriff so was expecting to work just as he got in his car to be on duty got word that he didn't need to come in :roll: had they known they would have left last night ....and then Ben's girlfriends boss told her he meant to tell her weeks ago she could plan on going to his graduation... :evil: he told her that a couple of days ago too late too get a reservation ...affordable that is

sheila
snowball

Return to Morning Coffee