All Quiet on This Saturday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Re: All Quiet on This Saturday

Postby JudyJB » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 pm

The pet thing is ridiculous. Looking briefly at the sun is not dangerous--we do it all the time. The dangerous thing is staring at the sun, which you would not usually do, but are likely to do during an eclipse. And animals do NOT stare at the sun or anything, for that matter. If animals did do that, we would have millions of blind squirrels, chipmunks, and other critters every time there is an eclipse! So they are smarter than us dumb humans.

I did check the eclipse glasses we got at Walmart in Susanville, and they are ISO approved, so they are OK. I will be at the repair place getting my brakes looked at. I will go outside and take some photos, if I can. That should be safe as long as I do not look through the viewfinder for more than half a second.

Most of the sites at Eagle Lake were about 100' apart, which really was nice. And no traffic to make noise on the road at night. Very remote, but very nice and quiet. Also, smelled good!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Queen wrote: ...a friend of mine kept her well stocked in homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Now, that is a good friend!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 am

Judy, it was stated on tv news interview with expert that you will damage camera pointing it at sun but if you place glasses (the eclipse glasses) in front of lens you can get a good photo.
MandysMom

Postby Liz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:03 am

Acadianmom wrote:My younger son and his girlfriend are looking at a house that has an area that is described as a mother-in-law suite. I don't know what plans they have for me but I plan to be camping. lol
Martha

:lol: That's exactly why I have been proactive in choosing my own future accommodations, which are flexible to include more care/assistance, even nursing home when or if the time comes that I need it. I love my kids, but I don't want to live with either one in their hectic households.

Glad to hear that Harold's nursing home is clean, and so is he. I imagine they serve the "main meal" of the day at lunchtime, which is recommended for us "old folks." That's probably why lunch looks better, but that supper meal you describe is pitiful.

Regarding the eclipse...I plan to watch it on TV or computer if I remember. I have watched and photographed so many sunrises and sunsets, that I ought to be blind by now if all they say is true.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 am

MandysMom wrote:Judy, it was stated on tv news interview with expert that you will damage camera pointing it at sun but if you place glasses (the eclipse glasses) in front of lens you can get a good photo.

There are completely varying views on this.... From an article I've read about it:
"Putting those same glasses on your phone, on the other hand, is optional. The eclipse won't damage your phone's camera, however, the glasses will help you get the best shot possible by reducing glare."

A friend has glasses I'll use occasionally to look. I'm not going to try for pictures... There will be enough of them to find and borrow.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:51 am

Liz wrote:Regarding the eclipse...I plan to watch it on TV or computer if I remember. I have watched and photographed so many sunrises and sunsets, that I ought to be blind by now if all they say is true.

Me, too, especially sunsets. I've done plenty of Googling and the sun is no more dangerous. Same dangers always, except when coming out of the total eclipse.... And it's not the sun but our eyes that cause the extra problem.
""The only thing that is at all dangerous about solar eclipse day is that on a normal day you know you shouldn't look at the sun," Speck says. "And on this day, you want to." And
"And in a nutshell, solar eclipses are dangerous because the sun can come out from behind the moon and "surprise you" before you have a chance to look away. And this is actually even worse than when you normally look away from the sun because during the total eclipse, it is dark out, and your pupil therefore dialates so that it can let in enough light to get a good picture. Then, when the sun reappears and starts flooding the area with really bright light, not only are you staring straight at it, but your eye is in a state where it is wide open, and actively trying to let in as much light as possible."
I'll be sharing glasses, but don't intend to stare at it at any time, so am not worried about my glances before the total eclipse, even without.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:49 pm

All that said, I just looked up at the sun and had to squint and look away... It's too dang bright any day :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby Liz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:24 pm

That makes sense, Beth....re the eyes dilating.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MandysMom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes aiming camera at eclipse without filter can damage camera. Not only do I trust Mel who was a photographer for his unit in the Navy but I googled the topic and multiple places say you will damage an unprotected camera. That said, it's your camera. I won't be doing that. We will use he pinhole device Mel is making. We are to have 87% coverage here.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:11 am

Liz,
Which RT are you getting? So excited for you!
AlmostThere

Postby Liz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 am

AlmostThere wrote:Liz,

Simplicity SRT https://sunshinestatervs.com/new-roadtreks-for-sale/product/2017-roadtrek-simplicity/?
Liz
Liz

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am

Liz wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Liz,

Simplicity SRT https://sunshinestatervs.com/new-roadtreks-for-sale/product/2017-roadtrek-simplicity/?

Nice rig! Looks like you're returning to your original roots. RV envy here as you might remember I was in love with the Pleasure Way, and also looked into a RT. Both non-existant in my area.
As you won't need a tow vehicle, will you keep that at your homebase? (Nosey, here)! :lol:
AlmostThere

Previous

Return to Morning Coffee