August 1st - Rabbits Roll Call

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Re: August 1st - Rabbits Roll Call

Postby JudyJB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Martha, I assume you have doors locked, right? You might also want to consider one of those bracelets that can track someone.

Supposed to be 102 today, but I did two loads of laundry this morning while it was still fairly cool. (Never knew I would consider 80 cool!) Then I am staying inside all day working.

I slept in this morning because I was up at midnight getting reservations in Phoenix as Usery Mountain Park. If you are interested, the International Hoop Dancing Competition is February 10 & 11 at the Heard Museum. I will be at Usery Mountain Campground from Feb 2-12, leaving early on the 12th. I saw it a couple of years ago and was very impressed. http://heard.org/event/hoop/
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Yes, we have locks on the doors going out that he hasn't figured out. He's not mobil or stable enough to be walking outside. Without a walker he would fall down.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, I said "rabbits" this morning but not sure it did any good so far.

I left St George early this morning. I had some issues before getting to Las Vegas which makes me think I now have transmission problems. It didn't want to shift out of low gear at one point (I had just gone thru the mountain pass). I had to pull over and, while parked, shift from neutral to drive a couple times to get it back into the right gear. It did something like that last week once too but I didn't know what was causing it (the vibration).

I decided to stop in Las Vegas for the rest of this week and trade this Jeep in. I am done with these problems and I don't want to wait until the tranny goes completely. I may just go for a pick up truck this time altho I could use some suggestions on what kind, size, etc to look for.

Ann (asiramarco), if you see this, I sent you a pm on FB earlier. Maybe we could get together while I am here. I am at the KOA next to Sam's Town.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Queen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Barbie, what size trailer are you pulling?
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby beazle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Not morning anymore, alas, but "Rabbits" did cross my lips at 5:30 am. Ran errands this morning, post office, quilt shop to buy backing/binding for a baby quilt top I just finished for a new grandnephew due in October. Then off to Menard's for packing boxes (on sale) to pack up my sewing room. We're having carpeting replaced throughout the condo next Monday. Can't tell you how annoying it is to pack up our cr@p again: seems like we just got settled in here. Had a nice camping "work week" with Cheryl a couple weeks ago. Got everything I wanted done except I couldn't get the darn water filter unscrewed with the little "tennis racket" wrench they gave us. Will have to add that to the list of chores for the winterizing guys. One day I hope to be able to winterize it myself.
The next planned trip is Thompson COE GTG, but am trying for a couple short trips before then.
I'm mostly a lurker but I do read the forum each day and think good thoughts for all of you when I do. Happy trails!
Eileen
beazle

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Mickey, I am pulling a 19ft trailer with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had nothing but problems with the Jeep since I left MN one month ago.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby PeggyinCT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Greetings Everybody from Ashland, WI. Tina, I sent you a PM. I'm so sorry to be missing you and Liz and Birdie and Sharon when they were in NY with Carolb. I left CT on June 11 for the Canadian Maritimes with my friend from CO and I decided to keep going west with her. We're taking our time and seeing so much of this beautiful country. We're going to the Apostle Islands tomorrow. Enjoy today. Peggy
PeggyinCT

Postby Bethers » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:44 pm

IrishIroamed wrote:
SoCalGalcas wrote:PS...Cheryl, I have no plans for after GTG...I would love you to tag along with me. Have no idea where I am going or when I will get there! lyn

You may be sorry you said that! :lol: :lol:

Maybe another gtg? That one is a few days to soon for me, but I'd love to see if we could do one just a tad later that I could get to?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Good Afternoon not much going on here as the heat is absolutely oppressive. 115 predicted for tomorrow...geez So I am hibernating in the house and that is getting old fast. Hard to get motivated to do much for sure. One more week and then we should cool back down to normal 90's for this time of year. C'mon FALL.
I am getting excited about heading to Susanville to Eagle Lake for the GTG. Temps there look totally doable, let's hope. I have never been there so am looking forward to it.

Barbie I am sorry to hear about your troubles and it sounds like you need to look at something else for sure before the tranny goes out. Just play dumb when you are trading it in LOL I don't have any suggestions for you truck wise, but I am sure some of the folks that tow a trailer will chime in.
Glad you found a shady spot to park that will help. I have stayed there before it was a KOA. I like the food court inside Sam's LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Redetotry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Well, I said "rabbits" this morning but not sure it did any good so far.

I left St George early this morning. I had some issues before getting to Las Vegas which makes me think I now have transmission problems. It didn't want to shift out of low gear at one point (I had just gone thru the mountain pass). I had to pull over and, while parked, shift from neutral to drive a couple times to get it back into the right gear. It did something like that last week once too but I didn't know what was causing it (the vibration).

I decided to stop in Las Vegas for the rest of this week and trade this Jeep in. I am done with these problems and I don't want to wait until the tranny goes completely. I may just go for a pick up truck this time altho I could use some suggestions on what kind, size, etc to look for. Sounds as though you need something that will tow 6000# I hope you an get in touch with Asiramaraco and Bill, maybe they can direct you to a good dealer.

Ann (asiramarco), if you see this, I sent you a pm on FB earlier. Maybe we could get together while I am here. I am at the KOA next to Sam's Town.

Barbie, Does this help with what type of truck you need? Melissa posed this in response to an earlier post on weight. So sorry, was hoping you were going to make it.
MelissaD wrote:When they make your trailer and it rolls off the assembly line they weigh it. That's you dry weight. It's on a little sticker probably in the door jamb of your trailer.

Mine was 10,500# Dry weight for example. The manufacture said that based on the frame design, the axles, the tires and the hitch setup it should be able to safely carry 14,000# so that if my Gross weight (GVWR). They then took gross 14,000 - 10,500 = 3,500 # cargo weight.

Well things add up. I added a 2nd AC unit. So shttp://www.womenrv.com/forum/viewforum ... =75ubtract 100# or so.
Propane, mine is 2 bottles at 55# each or 100# when full.
I added some cast iron pans because I like my fireside cooking that's probably 200#
Dishes, I like real dishes and they weigh more than disposable dishes.
A stocked panty is probably 200# (groceries are heavy)
Not to forget the lawn chairs and little tables for my drinks.
Water weighs 8# a gallon (about) so a full fresh water tank 50 gals (mine) is 400#
My waste water is 160 gallons (4x40 gal) 1280# if full (1 reason to dump before heading out if possible)
Everything you put in or on you trailer counts against cargo weight.

Point is, it all adds up, a whole lot faster, than you might think.

The larger the trailer the more people seem to pack away. By the time we got done with modifications and packing what we wanted we added about 1,500# to ours. In other words ours tips the scales over 12,000# now. My Pickup w/ trailer is pushing 20,000# rolling down the highway.

In your case you have 5,900 - 3,780 = 2,120 or 2,000 for simple math. They are reasonable numbers but did you get them off a brochure or off the unit? Unit numbers are actual, brochure numbers are engineer guesses used for comparisons. By the time you add propane, FW water, food, your stuff and ready to go camping you will probably use 500 to 750# of that. That would be average. If you are trying to figure out a tow vehicle you need to figure the trailer will weight between 5,000 and 6,000#. If you are looking for a safety marigin pick a vehicle based on the 6,000# number.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Peggy I am sorry to miss you but glad that you are out doing what I had hopped you were doing! Imagine someone trying to find me in Ohio!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby monik7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Barbie, I was thinking in addition to the info you've already received, doesn't Lyn have a small trailer. I know nothing about trailers and trucks nor do I know what weight Lyn's trailer is, but she doesn't seem to have trouble towing with the truck she has. Maybe you could see what her setup is. Just a thought.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Queen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for posting that, BJ, that was the info I was looking for for Barbie.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 pm

My Jeep is rated for 7300 lbs and my trailer fully loaded is probably barely 5000#. (I don't really have much stuff in here and very little water in my holding tank).

Not sure what kind of truck that Lyn has, but her trailer is a 15' or 16', so a bit smaller than mine and probably weighs a bit less too.

I just think this Jeep was built on a Monday and is doomed. :roll:

I will look at some car dealers around here tomorrow and see what I can find. I just want to get to California soon! Once I finally get there, I think I will need a vacation after all this! :roll:

Just went out to eat and then stopped at Walmart and bought a little fan to blow the cooler air from the front of the trailer to the back corner where my bed is. That area never seems to get the colder air back there. Now it is feeling better with the fan! :D

I do plan to check out the Sam's Town complex maybe tomorrow evening. There are free shuttles from here to the strip and/or downtown and back so if I get bored, I can do that too.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 pm

I was actually in Vegas a couple weeks ago..not for pleasure though....my sister has been in and out
of hospitals and or rehab since the first part of January...and infection in her knee one that has been replaced...so now the plan of attack is once she is off this series of antibiotics she will go on another series that will be on going until her benefits kick in for the new year..she is out of everything...then they will take out the knee replace it with a spacer till the infection is gone..then a new knee hopefully this one will work better than the one she has...on top of that her son has back issues and husband has Alzheimers not a fun road for her...so I went down to help for a few days...then home and back to Utah for a family fun day at Cherry hill campground they have a water park mini golf maze lots going one...might have to check it out for a monthly rate...will see now home finally ...
hopefully August is a at home month...did get to see Barbie for a few short hours...looking forward to seeing Sandi...I think for the eclipse I will have a good book and avoid going any where...dd and her husband have to leave to go to SLC to catch a flight the day after and she is worried about getting to the airport on time. Son is in basic's and it is graduation...she wants to be there...don't blame her
that's my story and sticking to it
sheila
Barbie if I was you would look for a 2500 or 250 in Ford over kill for sure but :)
snowball

Previous

Return to Morning Coffee