Fat/Shrove Tuesday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Fat/Shrove Tuesday

Postby Colliemom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:15 am

Good Morning,

Think it's also Mardi Gras day today too. the last final fling before the Lenten Season begins tomorrow. Everybody has their favorite Fat or Shrove Tuesday traditions. Irmi says she is going to fix pancakes and sausage for dinner, here in MI, the Packzi (poonch-key) is a very popular Polish tradition. It's kind of a king sized version of a jelly donut, filled with a variety of different filings to satisfy your taste buds. People buy them like crazy today. My favorite is Cream Cheese filled. They are needless to say very rich and fattening.

Sounds like the weather is the main topic again today. Storm moving across the south now. And more cold air to follow. So keep warm and safe, those of your affected by this recent storm Octavia they are calling it. I can't help but feel that we here in MI, who have been missing out on all these storms for the most part, will get one before this winter is over.

Carolb, sounds like you had quite a ride with Anita on her SS. Maybe she's making up for lost time, :lol: Martha, you mentioned wanting a King Cake yesterday What it is made of. I have never heard of that. Probably a Fat Tuesday tradition in your area. It's interesting to hear what traditions are observed in different areas of the country on this day.

Nothing much on agenda here today. Don't know if I will go out anyplace today or not. May just stay here and work on puzzle. Probably take Molly for a walk before the colder air movies in again tonight.

Have a nice day everyone. Two more weeks and we will be into March, the last month of Winter per say. Hang in there. :)
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Fat/Shrove Tuesday

Postby Othersharon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 am

Good morning, Sue and all to follow. You're right, the weather is the the main topic of conversation! I am so over all this cold and cloudy days. What I wouldn't give for a few days of sun! Heck, at this point even 30's sound good! But on the flipside of that, at least my house is built for it. I feel for the people in the south suffering through this. From what a couple of my friends down south tell me their houses just aren't insulated for this stuff.

Is the king cake the one they hide a coin or something in? The packzi sounds good too! So much food, so little time! I love the traditions of some of the foods in the different places I've lived or travelled.

Coffee is on but I need to go out and shovel snow...again! Have a good day and wherever you are stay safe and warm.
Othersharon

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 am

Good Morning All, Nancy, nice to see you post yesterday! Several have been wondering what you have been doing/\. Continue to drop in and say HI once and awhile.

Today in downtown gaslamp district, they are celebrating Fat Tuesday by closing off the main street through Gaslamp, putting up stands for the loud bands , having a parade and opening the bars up to the drinkers. Making a big mess. The good thing about it tho is that everyone who enters the area has to pay a minimum of $25. That goes to cleaning the area around 4 AM. I've walked around in the early morning hours and the clean-up crew does a good job. I go to bed to early to participate and wouldn't anyway. Who wants to pay to go drinking.....mot me.

I'm going to go over to the grands today and see if I can help. Everyone goes back to work today that have been helping.

lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Irmi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:21 am

Good morning Sue and everyone!

Happy Shrove Tuesday!

I hope those on the east coast are surviving the new snow and staying warm. It looks like there is another cold front headed that way which will dip into this area as well, but fortunately the cold snaps here are short lived and it'll warm up again in a couple days.

Lyn and Sharon were posting at the same time. Lyn, that sounds like a good idea for the cover charge for the celebration. Sharon, be careful with the snow shoveling.

As I mentioned yesterday in the General Forum, German pancakes and sausage are on the menu for this evening's dinner and all are welcome!
Irmi

Postby dayspring39 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:38 am

Good Morning everyone... I had such a wonderful surprise this morning... my phone rang while I was checking mail and a now familiar voice said HI... Carolb was the hi!! That made my day bright and shiny!
Oh we did not have any traditions like fat Tuesday when I was growing up... and never did it while I was married either... however my sister Wilma was always weight conscious and would give up candy for lent... good memories...
Have not checked the weather but the sun is shining... that is a good sign...
Irmi will be over for pancakes but no sausage... sounds good!
Have a great day and smile!
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby chalet05 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am

Good Morning,

Nancy, I am so happy to see your post of yesterday! Lyn, I'm not big on being in a crush of people who are drinking!!

Sorry for those of you in the nasty weather! Wunderground's severe weather map has been quite colorful - even with all the white indicating freezing. Brrrr

I would so like to go to Mardi Gras again. We didn't go to the BIG parade, but we certainly enjoyed the suburb parade we went to. It was very calm, lots of families. That was 2002 when a parade or two actually had to be cancelled due to rain! Fun to go into the store down there and see all the King cakes - Martha will have to refresh my memory on what the prize inside means. Plus all the decorations, etc. Yep, need to go back.

Yes, I like to drive fast! :roll: Some of you may remember early on Carolb told me I didn't need to offer her a ride! Of course, she hadn't seen the SS yet! I am so wanting to be out somewhere and just ride!

Carolb and I are in Quartzsite tho I'll be headed for Yuma later today for a few days. Sounds like L will soon be getting a new RZR - just in time for my favorite time to ride in the desert. :D

Have a grand day everyone!
Anita
chalet05

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:34 am

Brrrr! Trying to thaw out here! Had to take my car in to the shop this morning (keeps dying on me again) and they gave me a loaner car. Of course the windows were covered in frost so had to scrape them off in the subzero temps (-20 windchill! :shock: ) and then noticed the gas tank was empty so had to put some gas in. By that time, my fingers and toes were completely numb! Still just getting some feeling back in my toes and thighs!

We have been missing all the big storms this winter too. Not much snow here at all yet. Just some flurries yesterday to coat the bare ground some. Anxiously waiting for spring!

Went over my credit report the other day and discovered one of my dad's credit cards on there with a $10K balance. He had put me on as an authorized user when I moved to California to use for emergencies. I cut the card up years ago but forgot I was still on the account. That may be why my credit numbers aren't going up much. I had him call them yesterday to get my name removed and then removed from my credit report. That should help some. I kept being told that my debt to income ratio was too high. Now I know why!

Got my new cable TV hooked up yesterday. Hope I can find enough on there to watch to make it worth it. The DVR might come in handy tho! Came with free phone service too, so I picked up a cordless phone yesterday and can use that to talk to my long-winded dad, rather than use up my minutes on my cell phone with him.

I have mini cinnamon and raisin bagels with cream cheese to share this morning. Help yourselves!

Have a great day! And welcome back Nancy!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Always great food on Fat Tuesday -- one last splurge before the fasting of Lent! Not that I fast, but people used to. I'm a fan of Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, etc food in all its variations, for sure! :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Happy Mardi Gras!

I'm a fan of the food but not the parades. There are many variations of King Cake. My favorite is made by a donut place. It's the same dough they make donuts out of. It's braided, made into a circle and then fried. Then they fill it with different fillings and sprinkle green, gold and purple sugar on top. You get a small plastic baby with the cakes that you can push in from the bottom. The person that gets the baby has to buy the next cake. That's what we did at work but the baby might mean something else too, I don't know. The rage this year is a king cake with boudin in it. Boudin is a rice dressing in a casing. My son said it is good but doesn't sound good to me. Irmi had me thinking of pancakes so I had them for breakfast.

The parades end up at Cajun Field(by the Cajun Dome) where there is a carnival set up and a band stand. I don't know how much it costs to get in but it's not free. The music and party will go on until tonight and then they will shut them all down. The temperature is 40 so the partiers will have to bundle up. Last nigh on the news they were interviewing RVers that set up for the week like the people that tailgate for games. The sites are $500 to $800 for the week so I don't think I will be doing that. :shock:

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Return to Morning Coffee