Snowy U.P. Saturday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Snowy U.P. Saturday

Postby Colliemom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:27 am

Good Morning all,

Snowy morning in the U.P. again this morning. Supposed to get about 5 inches. About there now. I was going to leave for home today, but postponed it for one more day to allow this storm to pass through. We will leave in the morning tomorrow instead. Another day for Molly to romp in the snow again.

Otherwise not much doing here. Place is full, snowmobilers came in to the last two apt.s left yesterday. Molly got an introduction to the sleds when they started up to head out for a ride as well as their trucks and trailers. I think she is starting to get used to vehicles a bit more but the snowmobiles will need a little more time. She also met the ladies of the group and got fussed over. I was of course holding her through this whole thing.

Sounds as if you all had a nice Christmas with a couple of exceptions of family crises. Hope that things are improving for Lyn and Barb. Carolb and Anita sound like they are ready for fun.

I have cereal available here this morning but that's about all. Larder is going down here since it's getting time to leave. Plan to stop for breakfast on way out in the morning unless I change my mind. Molly and I are up so early that I might get hungry before then. Once I'm home, then the breakfast fixing will be better. Sure would love some or Lori's muffins right now :)

Going to wish you all a wonderful day today and go my merry way.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Snowy U.P. Saturday

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:46 am

good morning Sue and all..over cast here again..temp will be
in 70s....making a run to the post office send out a late package
then a trip to Walmart I would like to do a couple yard sales but my dads
car hurts my back to drive the driver side seat is shot even with memory foam
hurts too much to go too far...took down what Christmas decorations I had up
yesterday..it took all of about 20 minutes...I am very bored...with a hurt back and
also no one to talk to or do a few things withI can't wait for a few GTGrs..
have a fun filled day and be safe...Donna
grammynmaggie

Postby avalen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:53 am

good morning ladies
guess some parts of the city got a freeze but so far we are fine, 33, so it says here. No frozen pipes and staying warm with the furnace.
Nothing spectacular going on in my part of the world but you all enjoy your day, be safe and stay healthy.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:07 am

I just woke up to about 4 inches of fresh snow and still coming down. I guess I am ready to deal with winter now that the holidays are about over. Thank God I have a garage this year!

Yesterday, they removed my dad's catheter to see if he can do without it again. They said there are too may problems that can be caused by having that in so would like to see if he can get by without it, but I think he will have to have it put in again because of what his urologist told us last week. We'll see... He also had an MRI done yesterday so will hopefully find out the results of that today. I have to work all day again but my brothers will be down to see him and talk to the doctors and then let me know.

Gotta get ready for work now...have a great day, and stay warm!!!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:54 am

Good morning all, boy!, is it cold up here in Healdsburg! Thankfully my little buddy heater is working to keep the cosy camper nice and warm! And, yes, I have a window open!
Larry had a liver biopsy yesterday and has an appointment with the oncologist Tuesday. They are not wasting any time getting him treated. He is with Kaiser in Santa Rosa where my daughter used to work prior to her retirement.
It is comforting having friends all over the country, even if I haven't met some of you yet. Isn't this a great forum!!!!!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Redetotry » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Good Morning all, I can't decide what day it is. Got the vacuum out, much to Andy's delight he loves to chase it, thinking it was Monday and I needed to clean before my tidy cousin comes to play dominoes. I guess the extra clean gene went to her and my older brother! I remember my mom saying back when the doctor came to the house at any time, she would make the beds if someone got sick during the night.
I woke myself up screaming for my daddy last night :? I was having one of those bad dreams where someone was after me and I was so scared I couldn't call for help. I guess I finally found my voice. Can't remember any parts of the dream now other than the scream.
Lyn I've been to Healdsburg many times on my way to visit family when they live in Kelseyville. There was the best pizza place, not sure of the name but it was on the square, on a corner and there were some nice shops next to it. It also had sort of a little grocery/deli and had outdoor seating. I hope it warms up for both you and Ava, know you aren't used to those types of temps. Sue, I know you are sorry to have your vacation come to a close, hope the weather clears for your trip home. Donna, hope you feel better soon, both in body and in spirit. Have you considered going to an alternative doctor or a Naturopatathic?
Donna, I just looked up DOM ( Doctor of Oriental Medicine) near Melbourne, Fl and found several people doing acupuncture. This woman's training sounded good. Maybe you could research her more in depth for patient satisfaction and see if you think it might be something you are willing to try. An acupuncture doctor shouldn't ask you to come more that once a week and after three treatments if you/they don't see improvement you should not continue. I feel acupuncture has really helped me. http://www.acupuncturehealthandwellness.com/Bio.html Also, they should not give you any sort of vitamins or herbals on these first visits.
I just noticed I left out the word not in the last sentence and corrected it.
Last edited by Redetotry on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby linann » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Supposed to be cleaning right now, but I am trying to come up with something to do instead, especially since it is pleasant shorts weather right now. Will drive into town to pick up video at the library, drop off mail at the post office and get a big coffee at my favorite coffee shop. Maybe even gas up the car. Then, back to home and cleaning. That's my day. Hope everyone has a good one!
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Not much going on here. I wanted to go to my sister's but the weather is too messy. It isn't raining right now but there is rain all around us. At least it isn't freezing, it's 71. I almost had to switch to air conditioning. I hate having to switch back and forth. I don't know if it is bad for the unit but doesn't sound like a good idea.

I went to Lafayette yesterday with my shopping friend. I didn't find much I wanted. Dillard's had their Christmas cards on sale for $3. I really need more Christmas cards to not mail. :roll: I bought a Christmas bowl for next December campout with the Louisiana Belles. This year we made small bags of goodies for everyone and that got to be too much. Next year they want everyone to bring a Christmas bowl to give and we will have soup. Anyone want to bet on whether I can find the bowl a year from now. :lol:

My friend was looking for a pair of boots and it took a long time to get waited on. Then we went to Cheddar's. There was a 30 minute wait to get a table and another 30 minutes to get our food and this was at 2:00. That place is usually packed. The food is pretty good and the prices are good. I had a bowl of soup and half a sandwich for $9. We are doing good to get out of most restaurants for less than $20.

I need to find something to make with the ham we have. I froze the bone to cook with black eyed peas for New Years. My husband has to have black eyed peas and cabbage for New Years dinner for luck or something.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MandysMom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Bright sun coming through the window and about 45 out. Hoping this stretch of dry weather is not the end to our rain for the season. Not a whole lot planned here today. Those of you with snow be careful out and stay warm. Barbara praying for you and your Dad. I'm going to make black eyed peas too but never heard of doing them with cabbage. Although my Aunt made them each New Years Eve, I never watched her put them together to cook as they were always made before we arrived. So I wing it and last years were good. We have for years done an appetizer dinner for New Years Eve but appetizers don't purée too well so making modifications this year. Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Velda, I don't cook the peas and cabbage together. We just have them at the same meal. Some have the cabbage in slaw but we like cooked cabbage. I think the peas are for good luck and the cabbage is for money. Don't know that it works but can't hurt. lol

I hope Harold likes ham and pasta salad because I just make a bunch of it. I always get carried away cooking pasta. I wish I had some celery but I'm too lazy to go to town.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MandysMom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:37 pm

I knew the good luck from black eyed peas. My Aunt was born in Arkansas and always had them New Years Day. I wish now I had asked her more. She died at age 94 in January 2011. I miss her, she was the last of my Aunts and was my fathers sister in law. They had no children so i dont have a cousin to ask about it. Anyhow not heard of the cabbage part of New Years. Thanks for the information on the tradition.
Veldar
MandysMom

Postby MandysMom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Got curious about the whole black eye peas New Years thing so did some looking. Found this

Black-eyed peas were the only food spared by Gen. William T. Sherman and his Union troops during their destructive march through the South. Union troops found the beans to be fit only for use as animal fodder.

Thus, black-eyed peas helped save surviving Confederates from starvation and were thereafter regarded as a symbol of good luck.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/01/2855555 ... rylink=cpy

They also said any greens were also eaten as a symbol of money in the green broad leaves. So it could be cabbage or kale or collards.
Interesting info. Even more so since I had a Great Great uncle who marched to the sea,with Sherman and was Sherman's chief forager for food during the march.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:09 pm

I agree with General Sherman's assessment of black eyed peas and will leave them for everyone else. :-)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby chalet05 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:16 pm

We were in Texas one year for New Year's and had black eyed peas for luck. The next year was the worst of our lives with Steven's passing so I will NEVER eat them again.
Anita
chalet05

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:56 pm

The only "black eyed peas" I like is the restaurant in Denver by that name. Great place to eat real down home cooking! Look it up if you are in Denver! Awesome food!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Morning Coffee