Cool Thursday

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Cool Thursday

Postby Colliemom » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 am

Good Morning from the 45th,

Got back home on Tuesday without incident. Weather as cloudy and a few drops of rain once in a great while but otherwise nothing. All was well here when we got back.

Heading to town this morning to drop of my truck at glass place to get windshield replaced. Have had a couple of stone chips in it for awhile and time to get them taken care of. Replacing windshield as one is considered in line of vision. Neighbor following me up and will bring me back, then we will go pick it u later on.

Got all the weeding caught up yesterday, so yard is back in shape except for mowing, which might be today. Went to small town south of here, Grayling, and watched what they call HUP race. Hurry Up and Paddle. Contestants pay a $60 entry fee and get a 4.2 sheet of plywood, 2 2x4x8s, a roll of duct tape and some nails to construct a small canoe or water craft of their chioice and then do a LeMan's start into the AuSable river there, paddle and short course to see who's the winner. Go two at a time. It's cute as some underestimate the design of their craft and wind up in the water while others do very well. It's all part of the AuSable River Festival leading up to the main race down the AuSable river starting at 9p.m. on Saturday. This race is the middle leg of the Triple Crown of Canoe Racing, the last one being up in Quebec I believe. There are about 90 teams entered. It's big time thing, professional racing at it's best with locals entering as well. They will paddle non stop down the river at night for 120 miles to Oscoda. Can you imagine paddling 60-80 stokes a minute for 12-19 hours non stop through the dark on a river that has obstacles, 6 dam portages and all that thrown in. And then factor in the weather as well. Grueling to say the least. May go watch the time trials this afternoon.

So, guess its' time to get going here and get dressed and ready to head out before long. Made eggs and bacon for breakfast but you will have to fix your own if you want any. I'm out of bacon now, but have sausage and also bread for toast.

Have a great day all.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Cool Thursday

Postby grammynmaggie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am

Good morning Sue and all
The boat races sound really cool...
Have a bunch of things to do I'm preparing cooking
I don't want to be cooking while I'm having fun when I meet up with
Liz at the campground tomorrow...
Hallelujah.... I am done with the joint compound all holes and cracks filled
Even the big one... I will do a blog post and share pictures next week
just have to prime and paint and I'm done with the last big major project!!!
Better get busy so have a fun day and stay safe.... donna
grammynmaggie

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 am

Good morning Sue! Wow, how do they do all that paddling without eating or going to the bathroom? They must have stops along the way for that? Minneapolis is having a big festival this week and one of the events is the milk carton boat race. People make boats out of milk cartons and race them. It is pretty funny to see! Some get very creative and some boats fall apart in the water while others hold together pretty well.

I decided to make another attempt at going up to the North Shore, in early September. This time tho, I am staying at a cabin rather than camping. The cabin I have reserved is on a cliff overlooking the Cross River and a huge waterfall, so should be very nice! It is also on Lake Superior. Still plan to drive to Ely one of the days and see the North American Bear Center.

Off to work! Sunny and cooler today!

Have a great day all! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Carolinagal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

Good Morning Everyone !!, Canoe races sound really interesting, Barb, brought up some good points though, how do they manage ?? :D Oh Donna,two days camping, think you've earned it. hoping the weather stays good for you all.

Another beautiful day outside here, warmish but that goes without saying this time of year. Our usual big afternoon storms never materialized yesterday , sure didn't miss that !!

My IPad doesn't have much juice this morning, need to charge it and clean kitchen and see if there is a load of laundry to do. Exciting , so exciting !!! :lol: Beats setting can't do much of that :roll:

Wishing you all a really nice day, whatever your plans are,
Those traveling, stay safe,
CArol :)
Carolinagal

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 am

Good morning
Dense fog here now, steam bath later today when sun comes out.
Been a somewhat frustrating week so far.
Saw cardiologist yesterday (for niece). Didn't learn much as he ordered more test. Hate having to the her out because her immune system is shot from chemo; constant fear that she will catch something else.
Have been dealing with repairmen all week on top of everything else. Plumbing problem at my house, A/C problem at older niece's house and the rental house. Think everything back under control now so maybe the remainder of week will be better.
Something set my allergies off again a few days ago. I suspect that since I was feeling bad that was what made the week seem so frustrating. Funny how sometimes lives little annoyances are taken in stride with no real stress, then the simplest little thing goes wrong and ruins the whole day when you are not up to par.
Have not done well at getting back into using WiiFit on regular basis. Will give that another shot today and hope it doesn't give me a WiiFit age pushing 100!
Then I need to tackle a big to do list. Always seems to make me feel better wen I can scratch something off instead of adding stuff.
I have really been enjoying the bounty from local farmers market this year. There are few foods better than fresh local tomatoes and corn.
Wishing all a good day.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Redetotry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:14 am

Good Morning,
I'm entertaining a plumber this morning also, maybe it's the in thing to do. ;) Going to meet a group of women I went to high school and worked with for lunch today then just happened to notice in the paper this AM that a store right near the restaurant is having a big sale. Guess I should stop there might just be something I need.
Donna enjoy your visit with Liz wish her route had brought her through So. IL.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:20 am

My friend just called to invite me to a crab boil tonight. I have been wanting some but don't have the equipment to boil outside and that stinks up a house. So nice to have good friends. :mrgreen:

I have trouble making it to the farmers markets. There isn't a good farmers market around here and the produce is a lot higher than you would pay at the grocery store when they have one. Several people give my DH tomatoes when they have some. That's the best kind, free. :lol: I use to garden but when I went back to work it kept getting smaller and smaller. I had a 4x8' raised bed but Rita took that out.

A trip to Lake Superior sounds nice. My brother lives near Lake Superior in Canada. I have only been up there once and he took me on a drive along the Lake. The lake is beautiful. Not like our lakes and rivers that are so muddy looking.

The weather channel is showing pictures of the campground in Virginia that was torn up by a storm. What a mess.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby chalet05 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 am

Good Morning from Valdez!

Beth, I talked with Megan yesterday and taking the boat today. There are some clouds but lookin' good.

I checked into an RV park for 3 nights - first since we were in Inuvik (June 15). Cable, free Wi-Fi, full hookups - luxury in my book! :D Have enjoyed time on the waterfront watching eagles, seals, otters, fishermen, etc. Imagine LeRoy will fish here sometime next month. Did see a black bear running along the bicycle trail.

Sue, are the paddlers men and women? Men have no trouble with relieving themselves wherever! Maybe the women wear Depends? I ride in the desert for long hours but not more than 10 hours.

Martha, a crab boil sounds so good!!

Sarah, sorry for so many issues. I think you deserve some smooth sailing for awhile!

Must get ready to go! Have a wonderful day everyone.
Anita
chalet05

Postby dayspring39 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 am

Good Morning everyone... got my Keurig going again so for a few days I will not use the strainer and pitcher... and to boot had oatmeal and blueberries... Liz cleaned my burned pan very nicely!! Learned that you put water and packing soda in pan and boil then simmer and work at it... like new!!

I have so much food left from our day of visiting... and also strawberry ice cream! will be eating fruit also and veggies... got some greens to juice with apples and carrots... think maybe that will give me an energy boost... I used to juice everyday... tomorrow I will make fresh pineapple/pear juice for breakfast...

Sue that 'paddle' race sounds fun to watch... There is so much going on! Sarah along the way please take time for yourself... the only thing that cannot wait is your niece...
Please drink plenty of water and have a great day...
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm in an RV park in Clarkston, WA, with a site directly on the Snake River. Arrived here yesterday is a very strong wind, but was able to get set up just before the rain hit. Had two "almost-disasters." The first was that the AC started squealing and refused to work until I turned it off for a few minutes. This was when the outside temp was 93 degrees, although after the rain it did drop substantially. The second was that my satellite system could not find a signal until I had spent 30 minutes on the phone with Dish!!

Ah, the difficulties of roughing it! :)

This RV resort was a bit of a splurge, but the view was worth it, plus there is a bike trail all along the river right in front of my site. Going to take a long bike ride as soon as Antiques Roadshow is over. Beautiful day and much cooler today, so perfect for bike riding.

Tomorrow I am headed west, past Palouse Falls, to near Kennewick. Then two days later to Portland and points north. Headed to Olympic Peninsula for a couple of weeks where I have friends.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Liz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Resting in a small quiet state park in central Ohio. Only got to wave in Tina's direction as I passed by Cincinnati. I needed to get farther east, and she was headed out today with the puppers. We'll see each other in Florida this winter.

I had a nice visit with Carol and Bill yesterday in Indiana. Got a tour of Nashville. What a pretty area and town. Even watched a little Nascar with Carol last night, but couldn't stay up for the main event.

Long drive tomorrow then a two night stay at a COE park to visit with Donna. Looking forward to it and a day off from driving.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Liz, you are making good time and having fun GTG's along the way!

Just sold my bike tonight, so now I can go pick up my new one this weekend at Walmart. I got a smaller one that should be a better fit for me. I am 5'5" but have short legs so I think the 24" will be better than the 26" was. Also ordered a new bike rack for my Jeep since the one I have doesn't work with my spare tire. Am looking forward to getting out on the trail we have across the street from my new apartment. It is a "Rails to Trails" path so relatively straight and level, and it is currently getting repaved, so a nice smooth surface to ride on. It goes along parts of Lake Minnetonka for miles in one direction and way out in the country in the other direction.

They are finally lifting the "no wake" rule on the lake tomorrow. However, boats still have to stay outside of 600 ft frome any shoreline in order to go fast. Should be a busy weekend on the lake now!

I am getting kicked off of my state health insurance next week (they just notified me today! :roll: ) and have to enroll in ObamaCare ASAP! Hopefully it won't cost too much more. I have several tests/exams I need to go in for this fall (mammogram, colonoscopy, pap, etc) and need to be insured for those.

Good night!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Morning Coffee