Good Morning Happy Sunday!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Good Morning Happy Sunday!

Postby BayouLady » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 am

It is a beautiful morning here so far, think breakfast will be cooked on the grill. Grits, sausage and eggs. No biscuits, but if you want some, just pop them in the oven . . . oh, as for gravy, sorry but you will have to do that yourself, I don't put gravy on my biscuits and sausage lol

Have a benefit for the shelter today, then heading over to Home Depot to get some plants to hopefully repel mosquitos, rosemary, lemon grass and marigolds. Has anyone planted these for repelling mosquitoes? does it really work ? I hope so anyway because they are horrendous here.

Everyone have a great day, and stay safe!
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bonnie, Alexis and BECK
ImageImage
BayouLady

Re: Good Morning Happy Sunday!

Postby Colliemom » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:20 am

Good Morning Bonnie and all,

Yummm, breakfast sounds good. But I would fix some biscuits to go along with it. I remember my dad doing all that when we had company at our "up north" place. Always made eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and nice buttermilk biscuits (compliments of Grands of course).

I don't know aobut marigolds getting rid of mosquitos, but they say to plant them to keep the critters out of gardens. Doesn't work much though as the one rabbit used to just hop over that border and make itself comfty in the lettuce patch :lol: Got so we almost had to kick it out of there.

Nice morning here on Lake Michigamme too. Nice breeze and looks like a nice day for the most part. Maybe some afternoon showers they say, but nothing big. Will be heading for church here in a while and then need to do some shopping later on as I am staying an extra day and my larder is getting pretty empty. Course I do want to lose weight.... :lol:

Nothing much on agenda today. Might do some exploring of City of Negaunee on way to store. It's got quite a history of mining and mining caving over the years. Whole parts of the town to east and west have been either moved or vacated way back in early 90's from mine tunnels underground finally giving way. Even today they have an occasional issue with something and a home might need to be vacated or a road repaired. The mining history of this area is fascinating to read about.

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Redetotry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 am

Good morning, It' a beautiful morning here also. Ok Bonnie, I'll make the gravy to go with your grits, sausage and eggs! You try my gravy and I'll try your grits :) DH planted lemon grass and marigolds plus we have several geranium plants around the front and back door. Not sure if that is the reason but so far the mosquitoes haven't been that bad. Sure worth a try and they are pretty. They did nothing for the chiggers though.
Now I'm hungry after that gravy and grits talk so off to look for breakfast! Sue, glad you decided to stay and extra day.
Hope everyone enjoys the day ahead.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby dpf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:47 am

Good Morning. Liz left a little while ago. What a nice woman. Many of you are on her itinerary in the next few week...feel fortunate! She arrived early afternoon yesterday and we had a chance for a lovely visit and drive. Unfortunately I had a bit of a friend emergency last night and had to leave her to her own devices….plus she had to eat supper alone…actually she had to finish cooking it too! I feel so bad about that. Again…I am so sorry Liz.

Not much on the agenda for today. Just fed Radar and I'm just about out of dog food so I’m going to have to go to Wagner today and pick up a bag. I was very proud of Radar yesterday…she was nice to Thistle! For those of you who have been here with your furbabies, you know that is quite an accomplishment for her. She must be mellowing in her old age….now if her master could follow suit! :roll:

Have a great day and safe travels to everyone on the road!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby dayspring39 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 am

Good Morning everyone... another nice day here in Normal... so glad for this weather...
Ricekrispies was my breakfast... I am all ready for church and need to get a couple of things at the store afterwards...
I do know that putting 4 pennies in a zip lock bag with water keeps flies away...
Skin so soft they say keeps mosquitos away or what I do just go inside...
Have a great day everyone!
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:04 am

Good Morning !! -Another pretty day here, but warm. I'm going back to DD's a day early, not my decision. I'm living in a world where others make the decisions for their convience or reasons. Sometimes the day I might be my own person again seems so far away.

Sue, I am so glad you are staying one more day, hey why not another one more day?? LOL !! Your post sounds so at peace up there, bet Sassy likes it too.

I know about Mosquitos, think some are only mouth and Hughe !!! I'm getting where I am almost in a swamp and they are breeding like mad out there ! Person pulled into site next to me yesterday and was full of complaints about this area, beginning to smell swampy, not a pleasant odor, when we go outside. Don't expect they will stay long.

Wishing you all a great day, Stay Safe,
CArol :)
You snuck in there Pat, knowing Liz, I'm sure she doesn't figure you have anything to apologize for, if your friend needed more then you, Liz would have been there to do anything she could, she's like that. She hasn't been chased off she'll be back one day .
Carolinagal

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am

Good morning
Nothing note worthy to report; just checking in.

Did have an interesting article pop up on computer this morning about foods that make one more attractive to mosquitos; who knew?

http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/9-foods-make-you-tastier-mosquitos?wwu=7&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D503795

Probably not a big deal in most of the country but several large celebrations going on here to celebrate the 45th anniversary of man landing on the moon. How many of you remember watching that event on TV or even just listening to reports?

Have a good day
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby chalet05 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:35 am

bluepinecones wrote:Probably not a big deal in most of the country but several large celebrations going on here to celebrate the 45th anniversary of man landing on the moon. How many of you remember watching that event on TV or even just listening to reports?

Not paying much attention to the news, thanks for that reminder, Sarah. My aunt had a friend on the 'beach' at Titusville and we watched the lift off in person!

A beautiful day in Kenai. Wind and a little rain overnight. We took a drive yesterday - actually saw a moose! Didn't get to the historic buildings as area was crowded with Saturday Market at the visitor center. Will do that today.

CArol, I hear you about others making the decisions! Being back on my own starting tomorrow will be good!

Bonnie, you make my mouth water with you breakfasts. Not food I can eat very often. :(

Pat, so glad you had a visit with Liz!

We were wondering why mosquitoes in Alaska are such a big deal since they aren't fun in the lower 48 either!

Everyone have a wonderful day
Anita
chalet05

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Always love to hear where you're at Anita, so always glad to see you post on MC. I've been hoping weather would clear up so you could see more and do more. Safe travels !!! Post when you can, I look for them.

Carolinagal

Postby monik7 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:24 pm

bluepinecones wrote:
Probably not a big deal in most of the country but several large celebrations going on here to celebrate the 45th anniversary of man landing on the moon. How many of you remember watching that event on TV or even just listening to reports?

It's a big deal to me Sarah. I so remember that day. My father worked for NASA and its predecessor NACA for 33+ years. My whole family lived the country's progress in space - up to and including all of us getting up at 3:00 am to watch Sputnik and subsequent satellites fly through the night sky and watching every liftoff on TV. My most cherished possession is an American flag flown to the moon on Apollo 17 (December 7-19, 1972), the last of the six moon missions. The flag was presented to my father as one of "a few key people who made important contributions to the Manned Space Flight Programs." To think I have something in my house that's been on the moon amazes me to this day. Buzz Aldrin is supposed to be in the Bay Area next weekend and I'm seriously thinking about trying to get a chance to meet and talk with him. He'll be on the USS Hornet which is docked in San Francisco Bay and was the ship that picked up the astronauts in the Pacific after the first moon landing.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Oh Wow, Sandi !!! That is really something, an article that's been to the moon and back. A treasure for sure. My family wasn't in , but they lived on Merritt Island so I saw many go up. I do vividly remember the landing on the moon, where I was at and how unbelieveable it seemed. the one horrible time was when I watched from my back deck on a beautiful clear day and saw the space ship, challenger ?, ( brains not on overdrive today) blow up. I always turned the tv sound up where I could here lift time but on clear days would just stand out on deck and remember thinking the way the guy phrased there was a problem I thought ridiculous we could all see it totally blew up !!! A sight I shall never forget !!!!

It was an exciting era and kind of sad it is no more,

Carolinagal

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 pm

I wish you all a beautiful Sunday. We are here at home as usual, watching races on tv. We don't travel these days. A year ago June 28, husband had 12 hours of surgery to remove a tumor which had appeared as a tiny ulcer on his palate. They removed half his palate and reconstructed (read closed the hole, they can't replace the bone and teeth removed) the palate with skin from his wrist. Thankfully the graft healed and so far it appears the cancer there is gone. He had radiation in August and September. Then broke a tooth on the other side and had 30 days of hyperbaric treatments to allow the removal of the broken tooth which was in a radiated area. The tooth was removed in February and we thought things were settling down. Now as he was about ready for a final closure in palate of a tiny place that did not close, the whole thing has been disrupted again with a diagnosis of prostate cancer, said to be moderately agressive type. So the weeks to come will be filled with CT and bone scans and discussions with doctors as to what needs to be done. Although the tumor appears small MRI shows it may be spreading to surrounding tissue. All this and he has to mostly eat puréed food, making RV travel challenging and eating out impossible.
On the good side, he finally convinced the Va to fund a continuous glucose monitor to go with his insulin pump. We just keep moving forward trying to take it a day at a time, but sure wish life would settle down so we could go visit his sister in OK who is caring for their father who will be 90 in a few months.
Have a good day all. I sure enjoy traveling vicariously with you all, mosquitoes and all!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby dayspring39 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Oh my yes such memories... I bet Sarah could tell some stories... we lived in Polk City, Fl in a mobile home park where you owned your land also... there was a hill we would walk up and could see the shuttles go... I was gone with a friend when Challenger lifted off... when I drove in the driveway my husband came running down the hill 'Something has happened, something has happened look' we could see the twisted path of the vapor trail and knew that 7 souls were lost... a sad day in history for sure...

There have been many many successes and few failures...

Pat, Liz would help with anything that needed done... she is indeed one of the nicest people you will ever meet... sure hope she likes turkey I have a turkey breast to cook in the crock pot for dinner when she comes... some other things also... mashed potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes, fresh fruit and if I get off my duff we will have home made ice cream!!! I do not cook very often anymore just pick at things so this will be a great meal for me also... and the company will be the best... got things for breakfast also talk about that later...

It is such a joy to know everyone here... sure wish CArol was near... maybe another time before I have to sell Bright Hope... I am alone most of the time... it was a joy also to meet Cheryl awhile ago...

Velda my prayers are with you and your husband during this trying time... life brings so many challenges but it seems yours are all at the same time... please feel free to talk to us on here... we do care... hugs to you and may you get a small break soon...
Last edited by dayspring39 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby Liz » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:24 pm

I made it safely to a City Park in western Iowa. This one has electric hookups for a $15 fee. Nice park, and not too many sites available. Looks like they may have had an event over the weekend.

I had a great, albeit short, time with Pat. I really enjoyed the tour which took in her town, some historical (Lewis and Clark) sites on the Missouri River, her work place, and the campground she goes to. I forgot my camera, so only have a few shots I took with my phone.

Dinner was wonderful, and I had no problem eating alone, in fact those that know me know I do quite well when left to my own devices. :lol: Whoever else is fortunate enough to visit there better hope Pat is in the mood to make her grape salad. And if you're really lucky, she will leave you all alone with it, lol. Thanks again, Pat.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:28 pm

First off, Velda, I had no idea of the challenges you all have been facing and they still keep popping up. I'll tell you what today this forum has helped my self centered thoughts, get themselves straightened out somewhat, which is sure what I have needed as the past couple of days I've slowly been falling in a slump. No more, determined here, so many needing prayers and having REAL PROBLEMS, the rest of us should be thankful, especially me.

Kathleen, your meal sounds wonderful, but bet Liz, has something she could pull out too, so don't worry overmuch about feeding her. She is the easiest company to have then anyone has ever had. But I know also you like to fix, and sounds good, wish I could be there. WHEN I get back on the road, I'll be stopping by, I think many may even if you can't make it on the road much from now on. Wishing I could be in MI, when you go. :D Enjoy your company, I won't see her until Oct. or Nov. I guess, and sometimes, wish it could be tomorrow, have missed her. But what wonderful travels she has had and shared so nicely with all of us.

thank you ladies who have woke me up today , I sure needed it !!!

trying to post this and here is Liz,(in the way) LOl !!! glad to hear your safe and stopped for another day Liz. You Forgot your camera, wow, how did that happen, that thing is attached to you :lol: :roll:
Carolinagal

Next

Return to Morning Coffee