Friday, Friday!

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Friday, Friday!

Postby JudyJB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am

Thought about Monday, Monday, except it is Friday. Oh well.

Am taking a break from my drive today because it will be a long one--225 miles. I have to pick up some packages at an Amazon HUB, so have to stop there first, and it is a bit out of my way. Sunny here, and getting very hot, so I want to get to Gulf Coast very quickly because there will be a cool breeze there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Friday, Friday!

Postby Bethers » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:52 am

I sang it to the tune :)

I'm also taking a break. I overnighted here last year. Usually, and today's no different, it's windier here than anywhere else on this route. Slightly higher elevation. It's a scenic overlook/picnic area. I have to give Texas credit for many of these. It's only 70 degrees here (low overnight where I was last night didn't get that low lol). Rain in the forecast whether I stay or go so want to head into it. If bad, I pass several picnic areas I can stop, if not I'll head further along. But there's no hurry.

Continued safe travels, Judy.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Irmi » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

Good afternoon Ladies! Judy, get to where it is cooler! So happy to hear the mosquito bites are healing. Bet, safe travels for you on the road. Velda, looking forward to updates on ow Cris is doing. Barbie, have a good time with your brother and sil. Seila, have a good time and be safe on the road. Karen, cannot wait for pictures of your yard! Anita, such a shame it takes so long to get an appointment. That is so wrong. I do read and follow wat all of you are doing.

The weather is gorgeous ere in the mid to upper 80s wit sunny skies.

We have 3 couples from church coming for a luncheon on Wednesday. Crab cakes, mac & cheese, Fordook limas and tomato salad are on the menu. Steve will make a banana rum cake for dessert. It should be fun.

Please excuse the typos.
Irmi

Postby JudyJB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 pm

Picked up my package from Amazon and made it to Grayton Beach. I drove up and down U.S. 98 to get my package and pick up some milk and a frozen pizza. It is the main east-west highway through the panhandle, and I swear, every time I come here or any other place in Florida, for that matter, there are new shopping centers, new stores, new apartment developments, etc. etc. On east side of this state park is the planned community of Seaside, AKA 12-months-a-year Spring Break!! You hungry for a $14 hot dog or a $5 coke from the food truck? On the west side is the tiny town, AKA "tourist trap extravaganza," Grayton Beach. There is almost no room for parking, so they now have a parking lot just outside this tiny place and a shuttle to take you to the beach or one of the many over-priced souvenir shops.

The state park is several hundred feet from the highway, and when I pulled into the check-in booth I told the two rangers that this place is a welcome oasis in the midst of hoards of tourists. It is another several hundred feet from the Gulf, but since you have to pay a day fee and the beaches on both sides are free, it is not so busy. Whew! Most of the state parks and campgrounds in the southern part of the state are ramping down, and there are still a few campsites vacant during the week, but up here it is cooler and they get a lot of tourists from Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, so it is still really busy.

I like Florida for the places I go--the Big Cypress, the Everglades, the state parks in the middle of the state that are in empty prairie or pine woods and advertise themselves as "The Real Florida," but if they are not careful, they are going to pave over this entire state. Then, they will lose the birds and the animals--sad.

Anyway, high today was 78 and tomorrow will be 77. Rest of week will be low 70s. I am mostly still staying inside until my current mosquito bites are completely healed. No more blisters or pain, at least, but still red and got a couple more comments today from people seeing my spotted legs!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

I ended up going 320 miles today. Got an early start (for me) this morning and we had a couple long stops with walks, etc as well as a shorter break when I got gas. I almost stayed at the 2nd long stop but decided to get a little further. Normally I drive through El Paso on Sundays, but decided by coming this bit further I'd try a Sat afternoon. Most people do the extra distance to avoid it, but Sundays have never been a problem. Now I'll find out about Saturdays lol I just put in a request for a Harvest Host for tomorrow night. I hope to know tonight if it's approved so I won't dilly dally.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm

I got all my mowing done. I had to use the weed eater on Luna's yard because I still haven't decided if I want to fix the push mower AGAIN, or get something else. My thermometer says the high today was 76 but the TV said it was in the 80's. It felt more like it was in the 80's. Gave Luna a bath because she was scratching so much.

Judy, you reminded me about all the tourist trap stores in Florida. My youngest loved those stores and we lost him in several. Most of my trips to Florida were going to Disney World. We would camp along the gulf sometimes. Camped in Panama City Beach during spring break one time. OMG what a mess. There was so much traffic you couldn't cross the highway to get to the beach until someone rear ended someone and everything stopped.

Beth, are there other people overnighting at the picnic areas?

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow. If it wasn't so much trouble to load everything I would go to the lake. When I went out to feed the cats I took some zip-lock bags and went through my blue fishing bucket. I separated everything into the bags. I don't need to buy any more hooks or bobbers for a while.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:34 am

Irmi I have to wonder what fordook limas are? think I remembered how they were spelled lima beans? took me a moment to remember that the H isn't working but I just couldn't figure this one out....
Beth what is a picnic area just a pull out area along the side of the road? it's good you can spend the night... continue having a safe trip
went to the store to get mom's prescription spent way too much money on not much like one bag full and I could even lift it :lol: I will say though that I might check out their ready to eat meals more often picked up one that was roast beef carrots and mashed potatoes it was really good and enough for both of us of course mom eats next to nothing but I actually think it would be a big meal for one I didn't look and see how many servings in it did get a small salad to go with it ... even though I have lettuce I decided that maybe it will stay good if I don't open it up if I open it up it will be bad when I get back... but we will see bought tomatoes yesterday so if we have enough bread blt's might happen and if so the lettuce will be opened
:roll:
needed some supplements and lots of them were buy 1 get 1 free always try to take advantage of that except mom's iron only had the one bottle dang!!!
was going to say I didn't do anything but I did I mopped the kitchen floor and cleaned the toilet. tomorrow I need to pack stuff give mom her shower and water flowers need to get myself doing something earlier than I usually do
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Return to Morning Coffee