Tuesday an OTR day

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Tuesday an OTR day

Postby Birdie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 am

I shall be On The Road, OTR, today. Lots of rain here in central part of NY state. Unusually cold temps. Got bundled up yesterday and won't be in shorts today as them temps will be in low 60's. May have to put on water wings if this keeps up. ElkRiverRats, sorry I forgot the name, I thought about my long handles when the wind was blowing.

Donna I am headed west toward Niagara Falls for a week or so. Will miss meeting up with you. Maybe you will come up this away. I really hate you are having problems with your Trek. I sure will miss playing with Carolb, but her yard is gorgeous! I know if you could time it just right she'd love to see you. After the Falls I will be heading over toward MI. Not sure how long I will be there. I did get a family, I need help, call. I may have to cut my trip up here in the north hinterland a bit short. I am going to try to meet up with Colliemom, Sue, while in MI. I will be sending you a PM in a day or so Sue. Good luck Barbie on finding the right tow vehicle. These things are like the big black hole in space...you don't know what's in them! Then you get to throw money into that hole continually! Barbie you may end up just living in yours in a campground like some of the rest of us. Just a different place to pay rent. OSharon, maybe you can practice the 200 miles a day travel. Come north and play again.

Okay coffee is ready and it way too cold for July! I will be staying inside for this cup. Be safe on the road and have fun.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Tuesday an OTR day

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:21 am

Good Morning. Birdie, I will be here. Let me know what your plans are. Unless of course you need to go help family.

Chilly here this morning, upper 40's but heading to upper 70's. Perfect working outside weather. Am rebuilding front porch step and adding handrails. Then need to get on the deck and prep it for painting. It needs it badly. Don't know when it was last done.

Barbie, I have had Tahoes before, love em, can't afford em now. But as the others have said, look for a truck. Way better tow and hauling vehicles. I have driven them for over 35 years and won't even consider a car anymore. Hope you get some time to explore Yellowstone.

Got to get moving here, early appt. in town. Y'all have a great day.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby elkriverrats » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 am

Traveling day for us too. Headed home. Still chilly but the rain and wind have stopped. Phone just told me my alarm clock is set for 22 hours and change. What a downer haha. Back to work tomorrow (sigh). We may head home via Walden Pond if the traffic is not horrible. I hope it's less eventful than our ride here...On the way up we had many slowdowns on 15N through CT. The last one we came up on was a car on dolly on left side, three busy lanes away was a class A on the right. And no one stopped to help!! We pulled over. It was an older couple on their first long trip. The nut on their hitch ball had vibrated off and they lost the toad. I still cannot believe the toad rolled across a busy highway without hitting another car. Highway patrol arrived and stopped all traffic so my hubby hooked the toad up to our truck and brought it to the rv. He could not get our ball off (rusted tight) but he was able to get the whole hitch off to get them on the road. Unfortunately our hitch was a different height so it would not work for them. Highway patrol told them where to find a Walmart, thankfully nearby. They have been on my mind the past few days and I hope they had an easy rest of their journey. They were headed to a class reunion in VT from NC.
Coffee is done, time to wake hubby and get rolling. Have a safe and fun day everyone!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby avalen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 am

Good morning ladies
Today we are following my cousin over to a place to drop off a Yukon she bought for
some maintenance. She is buying a casita trailer to do some traveling so lots of prep
going on here. Maybe after that we will do some sight seeing.
The weather has been delightful, even though I had to wear a sweater yesterday.
Have also been doing some maintenance around the house for my dad, he certainly recognizes my mechanical abilities.
About time to get dressed, Maggie will be up soon and want out. Y'all have a great day, be safe.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby carolb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

Gmorning all...& Bye Bye Birdie:(

Been about 40 mins since she left, & I find myself sitting here relishing the memories--& cool stuff--she left behind:) Thanks for everything Birdie! Donna, looking forward to having you in my camp driveway!

Yes, very cool here. On Sunday, I told Birdie "this is like a fall day." Yesterday, I told her "this is like a winter day!" Crikey, the middle of summer, & temps not even 70d for the past few days. And would love to send some of this rain to those who need it, although I think no rain today or tmrw before it returns on Thurs.

So Kelly, you'll be traveling on nice days? The pits that you didn't have nicer weather for your MA adventure.
Alice, Dad is surely proud of you for all your skills, unlike someone else who didn't think you were so smart ;) :lol: Barbie, hope your tow woes will end when you get a better vehicle.

Well, guess I should be getting to some yard/house work, so wishing y'all a great day & safe travels always 8-)
carolb

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

You all with cooler weather, I'd be happy for you to send any excess this way! It is a little cooler but they are saying high humidity is coming back. I had duh moment this morning when I couldn't unlock my RV with the keyfob...took me a moment to remember how we used to do it :lol: :lol: I did google the problem and found what I hope is a way to reprogram. I do need to take it to a Ford dealer though and have it checked out. Even with the low mileage some things need changing or checked I'm sure. Also I doubt the oil in the generator has ever been changed so I guess that will go on the list but will probably need to go to an RV place for that. Lot of little things to remember.
Carolb I bet you are going to feel lonely with Birdie leaving, you'll have to go visit someone. Are you still planning to be here for the eclipse? Ava glad your many talents are being appreciated!
Safe travels to all.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Cool and cloudy here today but not complaining. Better than the excessive heat!

Took the Jeep in early this morning and dropped it off. Then walked down to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center and spent a couple hours there. Really cool watching the bears! One was trying to get a cooler opened and tried everything including dragging it into the pond, banging it against a tree, jumping on it, etc. Must be a well-made cooler!

Picked up my Jeep with a new thermostat about an hour ago. They said they got all the bubbles out and the temp gage has stayed down while driving it around. Luckily, it didn't cost as much as I had feared. This is the 7th shop I have been to (for various issues for Jeep, trailer and hitch) in just 3 weeks!

I am back at camp regrouping and making a new plan for my stay here. Do a shorter drive today and then if all goes well, tomorrow I will probably do the lower Yellowstone Loop. Don't have time now to do both. I also wanted to go horseback riding but I've been having a lot of lower back issues (sciatica?) this week and not sure that will help it much. Also strained some neck muscles so that has been uncomfortable as well.

Will probably stop for a day or two near Idaho Falls to visit with Sheila. I am a little hesitant to trade this car right now since I will probably lose several thousands of dollars doing that. Will see what happens over the next two or three days.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Update: Jeep is back in the shop...

I drove around a couple lakes near Island Park just west of Yellowstone and checked out Earthquake Lake. Along the way my Jeep started overheating again. I stopped a few times to let it cool down and called the shop back. He said it is probably the head gasket only because they don't know what else it could be, even tho it is not showing all the signs of that being the problem. I drove the few miles into West Yellowstone, stopping several more times to let the car cool off again. Barely made it into the shop. We decided to let it sit for an hour and then check the level of antifreeze. They thought it was odd that the level kept dropping but they didn't see anything leaking. So I went to eat something and then came back. By then they finally found the problem! It was the heater core that was leaking anti-freeze inside my car! The front passenger side floor was full of antifreeze! I noticed it was wet on the floor there the other day but just figured one of the mechanics in Bozeman spilled something there. Never occured to me it could be coming from the engine! So it is the heater core that is shot and leaking. So for a quick fix, they are going to just bypass the heater core and connect up the hoses. They said I can get the heater core replaced later when I have more time but for now that will fix the problem. I just won't have any heat until then.

I did get an extra night here at the KOA just in case I need more time to resolve any other issues. Still thinking I should look into buying another vehicle in Idaho Falls tho.

I am totally exhausted physically and mentally right now. :cry:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cougarfan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Update: Jeep is back in the shop...

I drove around a couple lakes near Island Park just west of Yellowstone and checked out Earthquake Lake. Along the way my Jeep started overheating again. I stopped a few times to let it cool down and called the shop back. He said it is probably the head gasket only because they don't know what else it could be, even tho it is not showing all the signs of that being the problem. I drove the few miles into West Yellowstone, stopping several more times to let the car cool off again. Barely made it into the shop. We decided to let it sit for an hour and then check the level of antifreeze. They thought it was odd that the level kept dropping but they didn't see anything leaking. So I went to eat something and then came back. By then they finally found the problem! It was the heater core that was leaking anti-freeze inside my car! The front passenger side floor was full of antifreeze! I noticed it was wet on the floor there the other day but just figured one of the mechanics in Bozeman spilled something there. Never occured to me it could be coming from the engine! So it is the heater core that is shot and leaking. So for a quick fix, they are going to just bypass the heater core and connect up the hoses. They said I can get the heater core replaced later when I have more time but for now that will fix the problem. I just won't have any heat until then.

I did get an extra night here at the KOA just in case I need more time to resolve any other issues. Still thinking I should look into buying another vehicle in Idaho Falls tho.

I am totally exhausted physically and mentally right now. :cry:

Oh good. Sounds like you can continue. I'd still drive it around a few more days before you hook up the trailer just to make sure. If it was the head gasket, they should've seen antifreeze in the oil when they changed it. I'd get to Idaho Falls and reevaluate how much more money you want to put into the Jeep. You said you would lose money on it if you traded it, but you could end up spending that and more if you continue to have mechanical issues with it on your way to California.

Tough decisions to make in the next few days for you.

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 pm

I love that Grizzley Center, Barbie. Did you notice all the beat up "bear proof" containers they have sitting on the way out? Just like the cooler, they put food in one they get to test, and then let the bears see if they can open it up. At least it must certainly entertain the bear!

DOn't forget the huckleberry ice cream before you leave West Yellowstone.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Barbie, be sure and clean up any anit-freeze in your vehicle if you let your cat loose in there. Hope they found the last of your vehicle problems.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 am

Acadianmom wrote:Barbie, be sure and clean up any anit-freeze in your vehicle if you let your cat loose in there. Hope they found the last of your vehicle problems.

Martha

I second that. Most antifreeze (ethylene glycol) has a "sweet" taste for animals (dogs and cats). If they lap it up it can be very bad indeed.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_ct_antifreeze_poisoning?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_term=%2Bcat%20%2Bantifreeze%20%2Bpoisoning&utm_content=s_dc|pcrid|183200837263|pkw|%2Bcat%20%2Bantifreeze%20%2Bpoisoning|pmt|b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzeirrp2m1QIVgnx-Ch1OZwDWEAAYASAAEgJGrvD_BwE

Hope you have NO MORE vehicle problems!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:20 pm

I did get to the Grizzly and Wolf Center yesterday and it was very interesting. They put out a cooler for the bears and one bear tried everything possible to open it and couldn't. Very amusing to watch! Did see all the beat up ones on display. They can sure do a lot of damage! My cat is never loose in my car but I do want to clean up the floor as much as possible anyways. Not sure how to go about that tho.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Pooker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 am

Barbie - I second the warning about antifreeze and Lola. I lost my beloved KC from just a very small dribble on the side of the bottle. We tried to save him with IV's, etc. and visiting vets all around the country while we were traveling. He would perk up for a short time - enough to get wild the minute we started getting the needle ready - and eventually we asked ourselves what torture we were putting this loving animal through. It only takes a taste to do in a cat! I don't know how you will remove all traces from the floor. If it's carpeted, I think you will have to toss it. Maybe replace with those custom made floor mats that completely cover floor and up sides a few inches. They are pricey, tho. Unless someone has seen first hand what even a small taste of antifreeze does to an pet, it's hard to believe how bad it is.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Return to Morning Coffee