Looking for a tow car, propane bottles

Buy - Sell - Barter - Trade
Got something to sell or need to buy something? Here's the place to do it.

Looking for a tow car, propane bottles

Postby bigmamma6868 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:47 pm

After being on the road for about a month with just my motorhome, I have decided I need a CAR!!! I hate being stuck at my camper when stopped. I have rented a car, but I have problems with it, sometimes, getting to the car is too expensive, and the cost of course so, I am looking for a small car allready set for towing, preferably. Give me suggestions on which ones to buy... I am in Freeport Tx right now. I also want a extra propane tank, so when I am parked, I dont have to pack up for propane...I also need the kit for using a extra tank.
bigmamma6868

Re: Looking for a tow car, propane bottles

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 pm

First you get to decide how you plan to tow: four wheels down, on a tow dolly, on a complete trailer...? There is a cost, issues to decide and pro and cons attached to each option.

I tow 4-wheels down. There are lists of car models that are printed each year regarding what can be towed 4-wheel down and include info such as how fast you can drive towing them..... If you need automatic or standard transmission. The lists are helpful in that some of them also compare the weight of the vehicle and the mpg range.

I don't have to tell you how individual vehicle choice is. About the same as how we choose the RV we purchase. There is an expense to put a base plate on the vehicle along with the towing assembly/hitch. Then you get to decide whether you want a Brake Buddy sort of braking system or go with the Stay and Play SMI systems. All the choices bring up costs and none of it is cheap but does add benefits.....

You do have some research to go through and thoughts to wade through on what you personally want to deal with and $$$ you want or can afford to spend. Driving with a toad behind you is like any of the rest of this...a learn-able skill. But towing does change your driving habits as you can already guess. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Tina gave you excellent advice. To add a little to that I suggest you go to Motorhome Magazine and read the Dinghy basics: http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Catego ... hy-Towing/

Then, they have links to all the years (in pdf format) of cars that are towable all wheels down.

To give you an idea of cost - I got a cheap 6 year old car, which I then had to have fixed to tow, went with the less espensive braking system (of several) and still had to spend approximately $10 k to have a towable car (including the price of the car). In the previous 6 years not towing, I did not spend close to that on rentals, etc. BUT I didn't stay long term too many places - and when I did, I didn't mind unhooking and taking the rv out.

I'm still not convinced I like towing, although I do like having the car at some places. I'm already having to figure out where I'll leave the car on some trips I'll take. Left it at my sister's for a trip to visit high school friends where bringing the car would have been miserable for me. And I have to travel different. Have to watch gas stations for where I can easily get in and out - and not go where I can't turn around, etc.

There are plusses and minusses - most prefer having a car. Honestly, I prefer not having one - but realisitically for my longer workaming jobs have decided to tow - for now.

I've never needed to have the extra propane bottle - easy enough to fill my propane. But some do have them and swear by them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:35 am

I bought first a 1974 Volkswagen Bug, then a Saturn and now have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt - all of which could be towed wheels down. On the Saturn and Cobalt you put it in neutral, key on accessory, and pull a fuse (so it won't rack up mileage) and away you go. Its is expensive to get the car set up to tow as each car needs a specific tow setup. I bought my brake Buddy on Ebay for about $300 which is about half price to retail. As for a tow bar call around to RV repair shops as they will often have some. I paid around $3000 to get my Cobalt set up for towing - I have a great shop0 here in Kerrville, TX. Call RV lots and ask if they have any cars on their lot already set up for towing. My Saturn was already set up cause the owner had traded for a newer model so I didn't have to pay anything extra.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby bigmamma6868 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Thank you, ladies for your suggestions. I need to look up where Kerrville is. I like the suggestion of calling RV places and ask about cars. I will also check out he magazine for the makes and models of types to tow. MY motorhome has the brake and hitch allready installed so that is good. I will start calling about cars. I have been renting a car on weekends which cost $38 per weekend. I do understand that it might be cheaper just to rent a car on weekends. i just figured, and renting a car everyother weekend for 1 year would cost me $950. Maybe I should skip the buying a car to tow...... but I have had problems with finding an enterprise, and if enterprise stops its $9.99 weekend rate, I may have to consider it again. Thanks. Now about the propane........ I found out I might be able to find someone to deliver propane.... Thanks for all the help. Jacque
bigmamma6868

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 am

Good luck, Jacque - and please double check your motorhome having the "brakes". The braking system has to be on the CAR - so that it brakes when the motorhome does. Even if the mh is set-up - you'd need whatever is necessary on the car. And make sure what your hitch is rated to - that can make a difference in what you purchase. My hitch was rated to 3500#'s - and I wanted to stay way under - cause that has to include anything in the car, etc. And believe me, if you start towing a car, next thing you know, you'll have the trunk filled. Ha, and maybe the back seat.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Trading Post