Direct TV Box

Buy - Sell - Barter - Trade
Got something to sell or need to buy something? Here's the place to do it.

Direct TV Box

Postby Excel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 am

Don't know if anyone can give me advice, but I thought I'd try anyway. I have Directv service at my stick house. I pay for 3 boxes, one for my daughters room, the main one in my Family room and one in my upstairs bedroom (which I never use). Decided to take the one out of my bedroom & put it in my RV. However, because of non-use, etc. (even though I've paid for it every month)...they're going to have to replace it as the Rep could not get it to work over the phone. (I guess they have codes that they send over the airwaves or something...anyhow, it didn't do any good & he said it's defective now therefore he's sending me a replacement). During my conversation with the Rep, I mentioned that I was going to put the replacement in my RV...He said I could not, etc., etc. Anyway, no need to go into the extended conversation I had with him....I know a antenna of some kind would also be needed, but does anyone else take their 'box' with them? Any information would be so very greatly appreciate....
Excel

Re: Direct TV Box

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Direct TV has equipment specifically for rv's. Not sure what's different other than you'll need a satellite dish on the rv or a portable one - to get the signal. Hopefully someone will chime in. But here's a link from the Direct TV website: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... d=P1400120
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:41 pm

We take our directv DVR with us all the time (George MUST have tv or he's not a happy camper). Anyway, it works just fine. I load up movies while it's at home and therefore, if nothing's on that he wants to watch, he can watch a previously recorded movie. Also, he can record something if we're out and he wants to see it. Directv doesn't need to know a thing about it being in your camper. When I was having issues with it, I just told the rep it was in a "Guest House" with its own satellite dish. No problem; she just didn't know the "Guest House" had wheels.

I'll go take a couple of pics of our set-up. Back in a flash (but not with the cash...)
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Here's the dish we take with us. I built that stand out of PVC. I previously bought the tripod and it made me absolutely crazy setting up. If you want, I can find the link to the instructions to make it (it was on rv.net). This dish has only 1 lnb which does not allow you to get locals, but not very far from home, you lose your locals anyway. We just try to pick them up with the regular antenna.

Here's the dish that sits in the driveway for when the trailer's there for loading, or used to house guests. It has a triple lnb which allows for the locals to be seen inside the trailer. It's set up just like the house system.

Here's the setup in the trailer. A couple of years ago, George disconnected the coax from the plug that was outside and we hooked up our own. We've never tried it with campground cable, but I don't see why it wouldn't work...just have to plug it directly into your tv and bypass the Directv receiver.

And finally, here's the detail of how I stow the receiver when traveling. I just did that last week and use a long velcro strap.

If you're deep in the trees, you'll have some difficulty acquiring a signal. Gotta have an open bit of sky to the south. I no longer use a stand alone signal meter - I just use the signal strength meter that is part of the Directv setup menu - turn the TV volume up LOUD and open a window. It's all pretty simple.
mitch5252

Postby sharon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I have a DT box that stays in the rv...DT thinks it's in the guest bedroom. They have no way of checking where it is. Since it sits for a while not in use, I have to have it re-programmed every time I use the rv, but it's usually just a matter of calling them and putting in a number, then they send a signal over the air to program it. Sometimes I have to unplug it before the signal works. Sometimes I just let it sit over nite and it re=programs itself. Sometimes when I'm on the road, I have to call and have them do it again if I've been sitting somewhere for a while in the trees unable to get a good view of the southern sky, but it's just a recording and I don't have to deal with anyone. My dish is on top of the rv and is automatic, so I don't have to fool with that. Altho, Mitch was our entertainment for a while when she was doing hers in Arkansas. From what I've read, Jenny's the queen of getting a dish lined up! She may have a few tips for you if you pm her. Good luck!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Sharon, you can reauthorize your boxes online without having to go through their dial-in-hell phone numbers (as long as you've established a login).
mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:02 pm

You will need a dish to receive the signal - check out craigs list or ebay for an extra dish.

I have Dish not DT and they think all my receivers are at my daughter's address. She has two and I have two in the RV. Dish doesn't know any of this. When I move the RV I do have to go into the setup feature and put in the zip code where I am and let it reset. I don't get local programming of course, but who cares.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Excel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:18 pm

First off...I want to sincerely thank all of you for posting such terrific information...I'm super teed off because while on the phone with DT...one rep told me it was against the law & I could be liable, etc.,etc. When I talked to another Rep, I was told that their 'box' had to stay at the house address where the service was installed as the box is their property & part of the agreement when you sign up with them. Both Reps were very threatening & said if anything happened to 'their property' that I absolutely would have to pay, etc.,etc. Have to say, I kinda lost my patience with them & was not as nice as I knew I should be. Kinda brought out that defensive part that says...stop the BS & tell me the truth...as I know darn well people use DT in their RVs when on the road....Anyway, I brought up the fact that I pay for all 3 & yet when non useage occurs they turn off the connection or whatever it's called but still charge you....Anyway, I like Directv & don't want to change...my service contract is almost over, but still want to stay with them. I have a married son who is going through some really, really tough times right now & it doesn't look like things are going to get better for a long time, if ever. He asked to borrow the box so he would have TV in his trailer while he boondocked up North...there is someone there that has a antenna & will hook that up for him....that's what this is all about...Guess that's why after the crap with DT I posted here. I hoped someone would have some answers for me...I never, ever expected all the help & can't tell you how grateful I am. I know I'm not one that posts all the time so did not figure I'd get much response....SURPRISE :shock: So, thanks again. I'm going to print out every single post to keep for reference. No sense in calling DT when all I have to do is ask here & I'll get the real info & not the run around...Thanks so very much !!!! 8-)
Excel

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:35 pm

This summer, I had two young teenage girls staying upstairs for a long weekend, unsupervised (well, a mom was here, but downstairs hanging out with me and leaving them alone) :o :o - so I put a password on that Directv receiver, limited which ratings they could watch, AND put a limit on how much could be spent (I made the limit $1.00, so they couldn't buy ANYTHING and shock me a month later with a huge Pay-Per-View bill, or worse - XX-rated stuff)! Later the first evening, one of them came popping downstairs and said, "What's the password?". I just laughed at her.

mitch5252

Postby Excel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Interesting....However, wanted to thank you Mitch, for all the detailed pics...sure supports that saying....a picture is worth a thousand words....thanks for the time you obviously put into that post.....I really appreciate it....you're a super gal...take care & thanks again !! :D
Excel

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Dish gets all pissy if they know the receivers are moving around - TOO BAD. Why does Direct advertise they cater to RVers. Just out of curiousity, call like you're a new customer and ask them about using their service in an RV.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby sharon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:18 pm

I know for a fact that both of the services have a plan for rv's 'cause I was sitting in my sister's 5'er when they ordered Direct after Dish pi$$ed them off. They had to choose where they wanted their local stations from...LA, NY or Chicago. Like I said, they have no idea where the box is. Grandaughter had service thru her dad 2 miles away, and my box has been all over the US and Canada. Char, tell 'em to go pi$$ up a rope and put the box wherever you want it. All they will want to know is your acct #, phone number and maybe address, altho they've never asked me for that, only my name, phone # and acct # and that's usually put in over the phone anyway. Oh yeah, and the box number, which is on the card that's inserted in the front of the box so they know which box to activate.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Here's the deal on Directv - IF you live in the boonies and cannot get broadcast channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and that other one, and PBS), you can get a "WAIVER" from each of those channels to allow Directv to give you (with a cost, I believe) those feeds from NY and LA. Such waivers can be denied. We had some when we first moved here (those of you that have been here, know boonies don't get much further removed than here!). Then those broadcast channels from either coast, for us, went away because Directv got access to LOCAL broadcast channels (and the local advertising revenue). When we had DNS when we first got satellite, we had to watch an 8:00 Central time program either at 9:00 (NY) or 6:00 (LA). The 10:00 Nightly News came from either of those cities at THEIR local time. I was soooo confused when we first got it!

Now, IF I want to pay for another completely different account with Directv, and sign a form that says I will have this account full-time in an RV, I would be able to get either NY OR LA on that account. The two cannot be combined. I would NOT have my southern Illinois and SW Missouri local channels on that RV account. Likewise, I cannot get NY and LA DNS (I think it means Distant Network Service) on my home account.

I only have 1 Directv account - the one in our house. IF I went camping, say 100 miles away from home, I would STILL receive my NW TN local channels. Once outside a limited area, called a spot beam, I lose my local channels AND I also don't have access to NY or LA. So, we must use our trailer antenna to pick up whatever locals exist in the area where we're parked. There are Spot Beam maps available on line to show where you can travel and still get your locals. While in Arkansas last month, the trailer antenna only picked up a couple PBS stations. We only had access to satellite television signals.

All it means is that ONE account CANNOT have both local broadcast channels AND NY or LA broadcast channels. However, with just my house account, I can take a dish and a receiver in the trailer with me wherever I chose to travel. I WILL NOT be able to receive broadcast channels (CBS, ABC, etc.) more than maybe 150 miles from home. I really was terribly confused at first, coming from cable television up north. But now, even if cable was an option and the trailer wasn't in the picture to pop a receiver in, I would stick with Directv. I like their product. And add the trailer into the equation, no way cable tv's gonna be traveling with me! I don't think I can get Comcast in a state park! :mrgreen:

Whew.
mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Dish doesn't give me "local" channels when I'm on the road. I have an account with All American Direct for $15 a month that gives me the CBS,NBC, etc from San Francisco and New york so if I miss a show early in San Fran I can watch it later in New York. I originally did have to send them an affidavit that I was a fulltime RVer. Their phone number is 1-800-909=9677.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:07 pm

The link I posted above is to the direct tv site - and is FOR rv's - and talks about you can have local channels. So that's from their website - in other words, you can have their service to an rv. I think calling them acting like a new customer is a good idea.

I don't remember which is advertising now for fulltimers - so you don't even have to have a home dish - which they were all being funny about for awhile.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Trading Post