sour dough scones

sour dough scones

Postby snowball » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 pm

I've made these for the Q gtg and mentioned making them at our campground was asked if I would post them

Sour Dough Starter*
2 C. flour
1 T. (pkg) yeast
almost 2 C hot water
mix let sit for at least 6- 8 or more hours ...when I do them in the morning mix it up the night before or if in the evening will mix them up in the am
*when you typically use a sour dough start you start with a bit of start and take it out to save this one you don't save nor start with a 'start'

Scones some areas refer to them as fry bread
sour dough starter
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp. salt
enough flour to make a soft dough like cinnamon rolls
I usually mix them up about an hour before I intend to fry them...then just pull off in chunks and shape and fry top with the usual honey butter, jams, jellies, butter, whatever sounds good to you...and use a small one to see if the oil is hot enough you want to have enough oil so that the scones will float
snowball

Re: sour dough scones

Postby dpf » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 am

:lol: Sheila! I thought you were talking about English type scones! This is a new twist on frybread, I never had them made with a yeast starter. Our friend who is Native American makes frybread when we camp with them and we have Indian Tacos. Her children also like to mix peanut butter and maple syrup and spread it on them. I like them just lightly dusted with powdered sugar. I have also had them with wojape, a berry based sauce usually chokecherry, that you dip the bread in.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby mtngal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Ummm bet these are fabulous with the sour dough starter!
We used to make Sopapillas for a delicious treat with honey.
Very similar except that yeast dough is rolled flat then cut
in triangles. They puff creating a pocket for the honey!
I think I will make these for my nephews before I leave town.
Oh yeah great idea for creating memories! Thanks Sheila!
Diana
mtngal

Postby sharon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah, Sheila, I remembered when I met you at Q, and you said you were making Indian Tacos with scones...and I thought to myself, now why in the world would anyone put chili on biscuits??? :lol: But I was up for it, whatever you wanted to do since you were doing the cooking and all I had to do was heat beans and make some guacamole. And then there you were, making fry bread. Now, I've probably pulled enough fry bread at Pow Wow's that if I had a nickel for every piece I could have retired many years before I actually did, but I certainly never heard it called scones. Here's the way we did it at the Pow Wow's:

2 cups self rising flour
1 cup hot tap water

Mix flour and water, cover with damp towel for about an hour. Pull off a piece of dough with floured hands and pull and work it until it's about an 1/8 inch thick circle. Fry until golden, turn with a fork and fry the other side. Drain on paper towel. Top with re-fried beans, fried seasoned hamburger, salsa, cheese, lettuce, sour cream and guacamole. Or Honey or powdered sugar. I usually have one with chile and then one with a sweet for dessert. Pretty much tummy overload at that point.... :mrgreen: But oh, so good! And of course save one to heat in the micro for breakfast!!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mtngal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Oh boy this thread just keeps getting better!
Diana
mtngal

Postby snowball » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 pm

it's funny in the mid west something of this nature is called fry bread out here in the rocky mts. it's both....but more the scones....not sure why and with this having the sour dough base tastes a bit different but it would be similar to what Sharon made hers would be quicker... :lol:
and I do make Indian Taco's or as we call them Navajo taco's the scones then chili and then top like you would a taco and yes it's is tummy overload! but yummy
Enjoy the recipe which ever one you use
sheila
snowball

Postby Getupngo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 am

Oh, Sheila! Out here in our part of the West Jello is a food group. :lol: :lol:

Having said that ( :lol: ) these recipes sound really good. I was just thinking about mixing up a sour dough starter -- then I saw this thread. YUM.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby sharon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 am

Getupngo wrote:Oh, Sheila! Out here in our part of the West Jello is a food group. :lol: :lol: .

Not just in the west, heaven forbid if Sunday dinner should be put on the table w/o a jello salad in Oklahoma. Needless to say, the only time I ever have it is when I visit the relatives in Tulsa. :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Getupngo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 am

sharon wrote:
Getupngo wrote:Oh, Sheila! Out here in our part of the West Jello is a food group. :lol: :lol: .

Not just in the west, heaven forbid if Sunday dinner should be put on the table w/o a jello salad in Oklahoma. Needless to say, the only time I ever have it is when I visit the relatives in Tulsa. :lol:

Oh, but folks in Utah have taken it to an art form ... during the Olympics one of the most heavily traded items was a "Jell-O" pin.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby sharon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know its funny but UT used to have the title for the most boxes of Jello sold or something of that nature...and yet I very rarely make it although I love a salad my mom makes so good...

sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Bringing this to the front for those wanting to get to it easily. Sheila, just replied to this and brings it right up. :-)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Dawn309 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

Sheila, I have been thinking of doing a sour dough starter too. Thanks for giving us the recipe for your fry bread or scones. It doesn't matter what they are called, they sure sound really good from all the posts about the Q GTG.
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby avalen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:51 am

they WERE DELICIOUS! and if you want to see what they look like, there are pictures of them in the Quartzsite thread, and of course if I worked
my brain a little bit I could figure out how to snag that picture and post it here but its too early in the morning for me to make my brain work. Best
I can do is tell you about it. :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Bringing this recipe back to the top.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Recipes