Ideas needed

Ideas needed

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

A neighboring lady, two doors down, is going thru chemo as she has stage 4 ovarian cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy, too. Some of us neighbors are putting together meals for her and her family (husband, son early 20s and 15 yr old daughter). She has requested nothing spicy, no onions, sausage or cheese.
Anyone have any meal ideas? I'd much appreciate them! Thanks!
AlmostThere

Re: Ideas needed

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 pm

AlmostThere wrote:A neighboring lady, two doors down, is going thru chemo as she has stage 4 ovarian cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy, too. Some of us neighbors are putting together meals for her and her family (husband, son early 20s and 15 yr old daughter). She has requested nothing spicy, no onions, sausage or cheese.
Anyone have any meal ideas? I'd much appreciate them! Thanks!

Lenora, here's a thread I started over on rv.net when my SIL was going through her first round of treatment for breast cancer back in '07...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20664075.cfm

I ended up doing a huge "Snack Box" (in a large laundry basket).

mitch5252

Postby kdmac » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm not a good cook but I want to help you, as best I can.

Baked Chicken, mashed Potatoes, veggie

Spaghetti sauce (hamburger instead of Itlalian sausage) French Bread and salad

Casseroles of all types....kids like tater tot bases with hamburger or ham mixed with cream of chicken soup on top then baked, "usually have cheese on top but can substitute with a bread crunchy topping.

Stir Fry and salad

Focacia Bread with greek olives, tiny bit of mozerella sprinkled and a dipping sauce of olive oil or Italian Dressing. with green salad

Tuna sandwiches with homemade soup and chips

Eggs Benedict for dinner is yummy, canadian bacon, eggs, english muffin, hollandaise..and fried potatoes or hash browns...

You'll have to excuse me, I am headed for the kitchen...kinda hungry now.
kdmac

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Thank you, ladies! Much appreciated!
AlmostThere

Postby cpatinjones » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Cassoroles are usually a good choice. Easy for them to heat up in oven.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby sharon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Barbzeee posted a recipe that has become one of my all time favorites, crockpot and really easy. These are all approx. as I never wrote down the recipe, but it always comes out good.

Skinless chicken or turkey
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 box stovetop dressing (I use the cornbread and sometimes the pork flavor, which would be better, it's not spicy)

Prepare the stovetop with the water and butter, but don't cook it
Put meat in the crockpot, add the can of soup, put stuffing on top and cook for 5 or 6 hours on low. Crack lid last 20 min to dry out the stuffing a little.

Haven't had anyone that didn't love this. Make a veggie and dinner's done.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby dayspring39 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 am

soup with chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans... home made biscuits go good with this also...

With hungry hollow legged teens bake some cookies they are always a hit...

Jello with tuna and grated carrots topped with a dab of mayo...

Home baked bread is very good and will be a hit...

I prayed for her and her family while writing this...

Kathleen
a few years ago when I had major surgery my Sunday school class made me meals every other day for a month... that was so thoughtful... and I have never forgotten the kindnesses... you can be sure she will appreciate your care...
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby khenrie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 am

How wonderful that you are supporting this family.

How about chicken fettucine?
veggie & rice stir fry?
Hamburger-green bean casserole
sandwiches, fruit salad and oatmeal cookies

Some ideas :-)

My aunt passed away from Ovarian Cancer. Praying for this family.
Choose to be happy!

Kimberly
Wife to Randy, mom and grandma
1999 Four Winds Chateau 31'
Photos from our 2011 Travels http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1935970031534.2115989.1010845598&l=5be7ea1322
khenrie

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:42 am

dayspring39 wrote:Jello with tuna and grated carrots topped with a dab of mayo...

........................................................Image

mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 am

Thank you, ladies, yet again. And thanks for the prayers for this family, too.
AlmostThere

Postby scottiemom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

What about just homemade soup? I like it when I'm not feeling well. My favorite is vegetable. I brown ground beef. Add 1 can of petite diced tomatoes, a frozen bag of mixed veggies, water and beef boullion. This is especially good if the kids have some activities going on and not everyone can sit down at the same time to eat. Add crackers and maybe a dessert.

Praying for the family.

Dale
Dale
Wife to Terry
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QSH, 4 slides (Phaeton Place)
Fulltiming since retiring in 2005
scottiemom

Location: Currently in Indiana, heading toward Virginia in the morning.

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Another great idea. THank you, Dale. :D
AlmostThere

Postby Excel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Another easy recipe....I use Boneless chicken breasts. Put them in my electric frying pan (I have the large one here at home). Anyway, cover them with water,add a little salt & pepper (or not), then chop up some veggies, I use carrots & celery & onion (you can leave the onion out), add a small bay leave & let it cook down for a 1/2 hr. of so, turning the chicken once. Make some Bisquick dumplings & put them on top, cooking again for the 10 min. covered & 10 min. uncovered. (If you need more liquid add a can of chicken broth..) Tastes delicious & has everything in one pot.
Excel

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Excel wrote:Another easy recipe....I use Boneless chicken breasts. Put them in my electric frying pan (I have the large one here at home). Anyway, cover them with water,add a little salt & pepper (or not), then chop up some veggies, I use carrots & celery & onion (you can leave the onion out), add a small bay leave & let it cook down for a 1/2 hr. of so, turning the chicken once. Make some Bisquick dumplings & put them on top, cooking again for the 10 min. covered & 10 min. uncovered. (If you need more liquid add a can of chicken broth..) Tastes delicious & has everything in one pot.

Thanks you! :D
AlmostThere

Postby JudyJB » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 pm

One more:

Take some boneless chicken breasts and thighs, or just the breasts if you prefer. Brown in a little butter.

While browning, put two cups rice in a buttered cassarole dish, add one can cream of chicken soup, 2.5 cups of water with one boullion cube dissolved, and juice of a lemon. Stir.

Add browned chicken on top of rice mixture, cover, and bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until rice is done. You might need to add a little water part way through if rice gets dry. I also like a little more lemon juice, but this family that is avoiding spicy things might not like this.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Next

Return to Recipes