Peasant Bread

Peasant Bread

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 am

Great recipe for a camping DO...
(comments not mine)

Peasant Bread

This is similar to a recipe that was here recently but I whittled it down to make 1 loaf. This is excellent the day it is made, and makes great toast the following day. Found it in a magazine some years ago. Perfect for camping as it needs no kneading.

1 1/2 tsps. yeast
1 cup warm water (divided)
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. sugar

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. In bowl combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and remaining 1/2 cup water. Stir until combined. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir down. Place in greased 1 1/2 quart round casserole dish or ovenproof bowl. Brush top with melted margarine ( I use the spray). Rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 min. Bake at 350 degrees 45 min.

This makes a very sticky dough. I add a little flour to make it less so , but you don't have to.
mitch5252

Re: Peasant Bread

Postby VickieP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 am

It's really, really yummy too. I just can't get my dough to rise as much as Mitch does.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Barbzeee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Mitch, I'm gonna make your bread.. this week... tell me what kind of yeast did ya use....and did you use regular flour or bread
flour I did a Google and saw several peasant bread recipes including with rosemary... My mother used to make a type of bread very similar..

I love the smell of fresh baked bread... nothin finer ..cepting corn bread :) hahahaha

Thanks for posting..

God Bless
Zeee
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I think you'll love the taste of this bread. I use instant yeast, NOT rapid rise.
I buy it in bulk at Sam's, and it's so cheap, you can pitch it if it gets too old! :o

mitch5252

Postby Barbzeee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Sounds good Mitch.... I love not having to kill myself kneading and punching down and kneading again... that's the worst job... This does look good..went back to look at your picture ...Gone... I guess like the bread hahahaha... here today gone tomorrow.. :lol:

Any way this weekend I'm heading to Sams as my cubbards are empty and I need to stock up...

Ok.. Flour.. was it All purpose or Bread Flour...

Thanks

God Bless
Zeee

PS Vickie... perhaps your bread don't rise because I know in the rig when I'd make bread mine wouldn't rise high either..couldn't get the right temp ..but then starting putting it in the stove with just the pilot light on and that helped....
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Barbzeee wrote:Sounds good Mitch.... I love not having to kill myself kneading and punching down and kneading again... that's the worst job... This does look good..went back to look at your picture ...Gone... I guess like the bread hahahaha... here today gone tomorrow.. :lol:

Any way this weekend I'm heading to Sams as my cubbards are empty and I need to stock up...

Ok.. Flour.. was it All purpose or Bread Flour...

Thanks

God Bless
Zeee

PS Vickie... perhaps your bread don't rise because I know in the rig when I'd make bread mine wouldn't rise high either..couldn't get the right temp ..but then starting putting it in the stove with just the pilot light on and that helped....

Ya know, it's not going to rise high like a regular loaf of bread because you're not kneading it. Vickie's version was just about as high as my last loaf.

Did I post pictures on the forum? I thought I just posted the pics in a PM to You-Know-Who...so, when that's the case, I usually delete them off Photobucket after a day or so. Sorry if they were on the public board (but I obviously forgot. I'll repost them above in the original recipe...)

I used bread flour.

mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:57 pm

I just looked on my computer and the pictures are gone. All I have is the nutrition information on the loaf. Sorry! :(

mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 pm

So, Zeee, did you make the bread? I was wondering how yours turned out. I'm tempted to make it, but I know I'll keep at it until it's gone! :o
AlmostThere

Postby VickieP » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:13 pm

I used regular flour when I made it, both times, it was that good. :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Vickie!!
AlmostThere

Postby Barbzeee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Lenora, No, not yet.. as I'm still sick..but next week I head out to Sams club and I'll pick up the yeast and I'll let you all know how mine
turns out... and Yes, I love the idea of No kneading.. and Bread is one of my staples like Pasta..

I can smell it now...

God Bless
Zeee
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Return to Recipes