Bolognese al Forno

Bolognese al Forno

Postby snowball » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:34 pm

Karen this is the recipe that I mentioned I thought you might like...

Bolognese al Forno
12 oz. penne pasta
1 lb. meatloaf mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 C. red wine (because I don't use wine would use beef stock)
1 (24 oz.) jar tomato-and basil pasta sauce
6 slices provolone, halved and folded
1/2 C. shredded Parmesan
2 T. parsley leaves
Cook the penne according to directions for al denta. Drain
In a non-stick skillet pan cook the meatloaf mix, salt, and red pepper flakes on medium high breaking up until meat is no longer pink... stir in wine cook down about 3 mins. Stir in sauce and cook ( covered )for 10-15 mins Stir in pasta. transfer to 13x9 pan that you have coated with cooking spray... top with provolone cheese bake until cheese is melted about 5-10 mins. top with Parmesan and parsley flakes

I haven't tried this .... yet just haven't found the time to do it I think the meatloaf mix would be a meat mixture of ground beef and ground pork that is my assumption any way
sheila
snowball

Re: Bolognese al Forno

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:50 am

Seems like this would be worth trying. I think your right with the meatloaf mix. I have heard it called that before 1/2 beef 1/2 pork.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:46 am

When I was young, the local Purity Market, who had meat cutters in a Glass fronted room, where you could watch them work, carried a meatloaf mx that was 1/3 each: ground beef, pork, and veal. Mm used it every time she made meatloaf.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 pm

I think that they no longer put veal in the mix or at least the mixes I've seen haven't contained it...
I found out what Forno means.... you ready or did you know??? oven!!! so basically from the oven which is weird because most of it was done on top of the stove...

I did make it today didn't take as long as I anticipated so it stayed in the oven to long and I used a lot more pasta than I should have to me it was a bit dryer than I would have like but taking those two issues understand why... it was good in fact one lady wants the recipe and I will make it again however for ease I will ask the butcher if he has the mix instead of mixing my own :lol: :lol:
Oh one other thing I thought we had red pepper flakes but no we didn't did a dash of cayenne but not enough to tell it was there...
sheila
snowball

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:01 pm

My local grocery store has their own meatloaf mix and meat balls. I have never tried the meatloaf but have used the meatballs. Here a lot of people make meatball stew, meatballs in a brown gravy. I don't know if that's something other parts of the country make.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:46 pm

Acadianmom wrote:My local grocery store has their own meatloaf mix and meat balls. I have never tried the meatloaf but have used the meatballs. Here a lot of people make meatball stew, meatballs in a brown gravy. I don't know if that's something other parts of the country make.

Martha

Martha, I have lived most of my life in California, and I have never heard of meatball stew!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:07 pm

Anne, meatball stew is just another dish served on rice. We eat a lot of rice here. My mother was raised in North Texas and the only way she cooked rice was rice pudding. I was in high school when a neighbor served us fried bologna and rice with black eyed peas on the rice. My brother and I thought that was so good we made our mother make it. We were living in North Louisiana then. I don't remember the first time I had rice and gravy.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:23 pm

one time this past winter I picked up some meat hamburger I thought but later as I was packaging it up to put in freezer found out that it was a hamburger/ground pork mixture... so they must make it as other things it's probably called something else depending upon your area...
sheila
snowball

Return to Recipes