2/3 cup chopped
walnuts

Glaze:
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
2 tsp. heavy whipping cream or milk
1/2 cup light brown sugar
Steps
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a bundt pan with a non-stick spray, if itdoesn’t include flour then give the pan a light dusting of flour.
In a large bowl, combine the spice cake mix, apple pie filling and eggs.
Using a stand or hand mixer, beat everything until the lumps are broken up and the apple slices are broken down a little bit.
Fold in the walnuts.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes.
Check with a toothpick for doneness.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack until the cake is done cooling.
Prepare the glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the butter, milk and brown sugar over medium heat.
While constantly stirring, bring the mixture to a boil and then remove the pan from the stove.
Mix the glaze just a minute longer until it starts to thicken up a little bit and then pour it all over the top of the cake.
If you would like to decorate the top with a little more walnuts be sure to do it quickly as the caramel will set quickly.
Store covered at room temperature.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Re: Easy Caramel Spice Cake

Postby dpf » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:34 pm

I have never made this version of the recipe, but I have made it with a box of devils food cake mix and cherry pie filling with a chocolate frosting. Also carrot cake mix and pineapple pie filling with cream cheese frosting. I've never used the bundt pan always a 9x13. I'll have to try this one.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby monik7 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:05 am

That sounds great Karen. I don’t really like spice cake so will have to substitute, but I love anything with caramel. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:06 am

I was looking for a recipe in my computer files and ran across a recipe for a cake and it had apple pie filling in it... I'll have to compare but bet it's similar those that made the recipe after it was shared said it was really good.... so will have to try either or both if different...
thanks for the recipe
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 am

These are all versions of what I've always heard called dump cakes. So I did a search and here's one thread with some versions:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16567&p=211782&hilit=Dump+cake#p211782

I've had several versions of them and all have been good.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:39 am

There are many variations, I also made the Chocolate Cherry but didnt think it tasted very cherry so bought some cherry extract..........problem solved ha ha I have made the lemon blueberry one and it was also good. I am not much of a pie person so prefer the cakes and I can freeze some of it but I dont eat many sweets so usually give some to each of my neighbors.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Return to Recipes