Butter from scratch

Butter from scratch

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:44 pm

I came across this recipe and hope to try it one day. I just need to convince myself I'd use a mixer enough to buy. But I thought some of you might be interested.

https://www.insider.com/taste-test-home ... pe-2022-10
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Butter from scratch

Postby Cudedog » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm

Bethers wrote:I came across this recipe and hope to try it one day. I just need to convince myself I'd use a mixer enough to buy. But I thought some of you might be interested.

https://www.insider.com/taste-test-home ... pe-2022-10

Hi Beth.

A person can actually make butter with a quart Mason jar - a jar used for canning. Actually, any clean jar with a lid will do - but a wide mouth Mason jar makes it easier to get the butter out of.

No expensive electric mixer needed.

Pour the heavy cream into jar so it is no more than about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Then shake the jar until the butter forms, which shouldn't take too long, then pour off the buttermilk and scoop the butter into a bowl, and salt to taste.

I learned to make butter in this way when I was in grammer school.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:39 pm

Well since it is only me that recipe looks labor intensive and an expensive stand mixer. Anne's idea appeals to me more if I was so inclined. Less wear and tear if I just buy it LOL but I never knew you could make butter these ways.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:22 pm

Thanks, Anne. I think buying a mason jar would be better than a mixer. I don't use a lot of butter so I liked the idea of being just small amounts.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:49 pm

Bethers wrote:Thanks, Anne. I think buying a mason jar would be better than a mixer. I don't use a lot of butter so I liked the idea of being just small amounts.

You really don't need to buy a Mason jar, especially for your first try (although a single Mason jar should only cost a buck or two). Any large glass jar - like a mayo jar or maybe a spaghetti sauce jar should do the trick. Even a smaller jar, like maybe a jelly or jam jar should work as well for making a very small amount of butter, just have a rubber spatula on hand to get the butter out of the small jar.

You just need to be sure the jar (and the lid) is really clean (yeah, no brainer here, of course) without any residue from the jar's previous contents. Put in a bit of bleach and dishwashing liquid into the jar and - you guessed it! - shake it a bit, then thoroughly rinse.

Probably the most expensive part of this whole deal would be the investment in the heavy cream - a quart of heavy cream is around $5.00 (and up) these days, a pint of heavy cream is around $3.00 (and up). One quart (32 ounces) of heavy cream will yield about 1 pound (16 ounces) of butter, plus about 2 cups of buttermilk.

About half that yield for a pint of heavy cream.

This thread has got me thinking that I would like to try making butter again. Butter made with heavy cream is a lot softer than store-bought butter (and is more of a pale yellow than store bought - a yellow additive is added to store bought), and heavy cream butter does not have any of the additives that store bought butter contains.

Homemade also tastes really good, as I recall.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:21 am

I remember my grandmother making butter... with this big butter churn and paddles made lots of butter...
I might need to try this I tried to look at the recipe but it wanted to down load I didn't want it too... :lol: but mom does have a stand mixer ...
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:09 am

My boys learned in Scouts to make butter in a jar. I knew it from childhood. Last I looked at a pint of Heavy whipping cream, it was $5.98-- yes a pint! I buy Keery Gold butter at Costco. Easier than making ot.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Recipes