Seasonings

Seasonings

Postby Shirlv » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:47 pm

The older I get the more I try to find easier less mess cooking. My sense of smell and taste have diminished with age and my blood pressure has increased so limit salt. I still like to eat but hate cleaning up after. Most of my friends do not cook, they eat frozen dinners, eat sweets, or go out. I buy bags of frozen vegetables so I can shake out what I need. I’m cooking a pot of frozen green beans with minced garlic and Orrington Farms ham seasoning. You would think your grandma cooked the beans out of the garden with a ham hock. Amazon sells Orrington Farms seasoning, more expensive but worth it. It’s also sold in some super markets. Tonight’s dinner is marinated salmon(Sams Club) on foil in the toaster oven, instant mashed potatoes cooked in the microwave.

The purpose of this long post was to recommend Orrington Farms seasoning. :)

Would appreciate any cooking short cuts.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: Seasonings

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:11 pm

Shirl I havent ever tried that seasoning but it sounds good. I like reading about what everyone fixes to eat as it often gives some good ideas or at least a place to start. I cook for one, everday pretty much. I dont cook elaborate, I am a simple kinda gal. But I like to eat, it is the planning that is sometimes harder. I still have that dang roasted chicken, I am on day 3 so will be picking it off the bones and making something casserole, taco, or just stick it in the fridge and some in the freezer for a later date.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:53 pm

I don’t cook so don’t know about your seasonings Shirl. I do have a weakness for Cheesecake Factory Avocado Egg Rolls and their dipping sauce. Since they’re too expensive for me to buy very often, I made an attempt to duplicate them yesterday and they came out great. Now I have something to eat for a few days. I bought the egg roll wrappers at a Chinese market, but they were almost paper thin. Hopefully I can find some thicker ones for next time.

This is how the egg rolls look in the restaurant menu. Mine were pretty close.

Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Sandi, I love egg rolls but don’t have a Chinese market anywhere close. Your egg rolls look delicious. There is a Chinese restaurant with good food in the area. You said you don’t cook but making egg rolls is something I don’t want to tackle. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Shirlv wrote:Sandi, I love egg rolls but don’t have a Chinese market anywhere close. Your egg rolls look delicious. There is a Chinese restaurant with good food in the area. You said you don’t cook but making egg rolls is something I don’t want to tackle. Lol

These were very easy to make Shirl. Once you mix up the filling and roll it into the egg roll wrapper, they just take a short time to deep fry in a frying pan for about 3 minutes since only the outer egg roll wrapper needs to reach a golden brown. The dipping sauce is easy too. I looked online and should have gone to Safeway instead of the Chinese market. Safeway has two brands of egg rolls so I’m thinking other supermarkets carry them too.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Do you have a recipe for filling and wonder if you could cook in air fryer.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Shirlv wrote:Do you have a recipe for filling and wonder if you could cook in air fryer.

Yes, I can post the recipe. I don’t have an air fryer, but imagine that would work.
Sandi

monik7

Postby Shirlv » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:49 pm

I just checked, you can use an air fryer. Oh! Boy! Something else to try. :D
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 pm

CHEESECAKE FACTORY AVOCADO EGG ROLLS

Tamarind-Cashew Dipping Sauce - make this first

1/2 C fresh cilantro
1/4 C green onions
1/4 C cashews (unsalted)
1/2 honey
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
2 T distilled white vinegar
1 T white sugar
1 t tamarind pulp
1/2 t salt
1/2 t coarse ground black pepper

Add all ingredients together in a small food processor. Pulse until combined in small pieces but not smooth.

Avocado Egg Rolls

If you need to ripen avocados, place them in a brown paper bag, add one un-peeled banana and fold the bag closed. They should be ripe within about 24 hours.

3 avocados - cut in half, peel, then dice
2 T sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped (some people substitute one Roma tomato)
1/3 C chopped cilantro
1/4 C minced red onion
1 t salt
Juice of one lime

Mix all ingredients together

1 egg
Egg roll wrappers

Assembly

In a small bowl, beat one egg and 1 t water. Place one wrapper with one corner facing you. Brush a 1/2” border around the wrapper with the egg/water mix. Spoon 1/4 C filling in the middle (don’t overfill). Fold the bottom corner up over the filling and tuck it under. Fold in and overlap the left and right corners. Gently roll the egg roll up from the bottom toward the top corner and press to seal with a little water. Let them sit for a few minutes until well sealed.

For those who would rather use an air fryer, I checked online and you can brush the rolls with oil and bake at 375° for 12 minutes. Otherwise, they can be fried in oil for about 3 minutes until golden brown. When they’re done, you can slice each egg roll at an angle.

This may seem like a lot of ingredients, but once you have some on hand, putting them together takes very little time.

Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

monik7

Postby MandysMom » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:28 am

Those egg rolls sound good bit I'm still looking for gluten free egg roll wrappers! Easy enough amd air fryer even better.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Shirlv » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:26 am

Sandi, thanks for posting the recipe. Will try as soon as I can get to the store. Never thought of trying egg rolls and there are several fillings on line. Will keep me occupied for awhile. :) They can be frozen too.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Return to Recipes