Doritos/Taco Bowls

Doritos/Taco Bowls

Postby MandysMom » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 pm

These are not meant to be a salad. Think Taco but bowl. A taco typically has only a sprinkle of lettuce over meat.

Sauté some diced onion and bell pepper in skillet big enough to hold whatever ground beef (or ground or diced chicken or turkey or pork) you want. When softened, add ground beef or other meat and break up as it cooks. When done through, add taco seasoning, which I like to make myself to avoid sugar, wheat starch, and excess salt in packets. I add about 1/4 c water with the seasoning, then simmer down.
While meat simmers, shred your favorite cheese for tacos. Can dice some green onion if you like. Set out sliced olives, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and diced tomato if you like it. And finely shred a small amount of iceberg lettuce. Open bag of Nacho cheese Doritos or the flavor you like, spicy or ranch or just plain tortilla chips.
To assemble: Crumble a good size handful of chips in bowl. Add meat, cheese, lettuce, olives and toppings you like. Typically a bit of Catalina dressing over top, but use what you like or just go with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Dig in! My picky eater ate a big bowl then said, we have to do this again!
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Doritos/Taco Bowls

Postby snowball » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:03 am

sounds good Velda
will have to give it a try
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:30 pm

That's how I make my nachos when I'm ambitious. Now you've made me wanting to do it again soon. Yum. And you can make extra of the meat part and freeze for another time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 am

Beth, I made 3 lbs of beef this run and put half away in freezer for next time.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm

Velda, I had this at a girlfriends house before we left mD and it was delicious! I will definitly have this again real soon!
Irmi

Postby MandysMom » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:19 pm

Irmi, I really like how it can be varied. Beef, chicken or pork. Ground meat or diced. Toppings as whatever you like on your taco. And not a lot of lettuce, as all veggies upset my system to a degree. And it's great for a get together where people can choose chips, spicy or not, and add what they like. And no messy filling falling out of tortilla/taco shell.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Candiss made something similar when we were in Oregon but she used Fritos corn chips. It was really good!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:33 pm

You can get tacos at Taco Bell with Dorito shells. They are very good too.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Recipes