Fried chicken

Fried chicken

Postby Birdie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am

You can Google ‘Skillet fried chicken’ and Bon Appetit has a more extended recipe but it uses too many items for me. Betty Crocker has one that you cook the chick to death, well 20 minutes. Hey maybe that’s what it takes depending on your stove. I am a farm girl that grew up with flour, salt, pepper, eggs most of the time and milk part of the time. So I use what I know and this was the way we did it and I still do it. When I want spicy I add other seasonings and you can use buttermilk instead of milk or make use of dry milk reconstituted (I have done that a lot when the cows were on strike) and dry eggs (chickens go on strike too).

Ok this is my way of doing this. I rarely eat chicken out because of food borne illness. So I love my own version of doing the chick depending on what I want that day. However, normally I always fry with the skin on

The amount of ingredients depends on the amount of chicken being fried.

One or two eggs
Small amount of water
Flour
Salt and pepper
Chili flakes or powder if you like it hot
Any other spices you like
Cooking oil of choice (I like Armour and Goya lard, peanut oil or Crisco)
Chicken with or without the skin (I only do breast meat with skin)

Ok this is my way of doing this. I rarely eat chicken out because of food borne illness. So I love my own version of doing the chick depending on what I want that day. However, normally I always fry with the skin on.

Mix the eggs and water beating with a fork in a bowl that will allow you to easily place the chick in it and move it around to coat it well.

Mix the flour and salt, pepper and spices in a quart zip lock bag and make sure there will be room to put chick in one piece at a time.

Cooking oil in a skillet with a lid. Enough oil to cover between 1/4 to 1/2 of your chick which is about 3/4” in the skillet.

Wash your chick well, really well. Pat it dry. Put it in the egg mixture and roll it around to coat very well. Put it in the ziplock bag of flour and try to have a bit of air to assist you and shake to coat the chick. It needs to have a very nice coating on it. If the first time doesn’t work, put it back in the milk and roll it again, yes with the flour on it, then shake it again in the flour bag. When nicely coated set it aside and do piece No. 2, then No. 3 I rarely cook more than 4 pieces at a time. I am solo and this is my preference.

Heat cooking oil to where if you drop in a small piece of egg and flour mixture it will immediately begin the sizzle of cooking. Temperature of the oil should be around 300-325 degrees. At that point drop in (gently) all of your chick pieces. Let them cook a minute or two and turn over. Cook a couple of minutes and turn over again and put the lid on or not as you need to keep turning your chick every couple minutes. Total cook time will be about 10-12 minutes. Temperature of thick part of chick should be 165.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Fried chicken

Postby Cudedog » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 am

Well, thanks Birdie!

I have ordered a whole chicken from Walmart as part of a large order, and was just about ready to cancel the chicken part, but your recipe sounds extremely do-able!

I didn't grow up on a farm, but, like you, I generally don't measure ingredients unless they need to be precise. Like you said, in cakes or pies, cookies, stuff like that.

I'll do up the whole chicken and freeze most of it. Sounds really good!

Thanks! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Fried chicken

Postby snowball » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:04 am

it does sound do able
and good
sheila
snowball