Dutch Oven Pizza Casserole

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 pm

I made this on last year's All-Girl Westward Ho trip to Montana and Alberta. It was DELICIOUS! Although the recipe says "serves 4-5" - hahahahahahaha - we 3 ladies finished the entire pot in one sitting!! I guess it's hard work having such fun with your girlfriends, eh? All that laughing burns up the calories...

Also, seems like it would be easy to cut in half for just 1 or 2 people...and I made no changes to the original recipe as printed.

2 pound(s) Sweet Italian Sausage links, casings removed.
2 can(s) (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
1 tablespoon(s) garlic, minced.
1 cup(s) Onion, chopped.
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped.
2 cup(s) Mozzarella Cheese, shredded.
1 can (10 count) Biscuits
Parmesan Cheese, to taste.

Biscuits are flattened to make a thin pizza like crust. This can be made in a 13x9 pan if you don't have a Dutch oven.

In Dutch oven brown sausage, onions, garlic and green peppers until pork is no longer pink and onions and green peppers are tender. Drain off any excess fat. Add both cans of tomato sauce to sausage. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Oregano. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.

Remove biscuits from can and flatten with the palm of your hand. Arrange flatten biscuits on top of the cheese. Sprinkle biscuits with Parmesan cheese to taste and then a little oregano to taste.

Bake at 375 degrees (10 briquettes on bottom and 18 on top) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are firm and a light golden color.

Serves 4 to 5
mitch5252

Return to Recipes