Fiber, Fiber, Everywhere - PINTO BEANS

Fiber, Fiber, Everywhere - PINTO BEANS

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 pm

I don't think I ever met a bean I didn't like...but my favorite is a well-cooked pinto bean (well, more than one, but since I got old, my grammar has faded and I didn't know which to use - is or are. So, I just changed the sentence structure...)

Anyway, I soak them overnight and add lots of chopped onion, fresh pressed garlic, couple of bay leaves, liquid smoke, and lots of cumin (I love a smokey taste..). Simmer for several hours (don't let them dry out) and then mash 'em with my immersion blender.

Then for breakfast, I have a warm flour tortilla slathered in beans and low-fat sour cream, all rolled up in a tasty (and healthy) little bundle. Hubby does not share my joy for beans...using the "b" word almost makes him gag!! :)

Michelle
mitch5252

Re: Fiber, Fiber, Everywhere - PINTO BEANS

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Oh, I'm glad I asked. I would have to just stomp them to death as I have no blender (oops, not true, have a little one to make my individual margaritas) - but yep, I'd like them, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Bethers wrote:Oh, I'm glad I asked. I would have to just stomp them to death as I have no blender (oops, not true, have a little one to make my individual margaritas) - but yep, I'd like them, too.

Use a potato masher...won't have quite the same consistency, but you can get them pretty creamy if you use a little elbow grease and they're well cooked. And of course, the spices weren't added to the overnight soaking water - they were added with the fresh water this morning...
mitch5252

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Sounds good but a southern girl must have a pan of corn bread to go with pinots (not so healthy but very good).

If you ever cook white beans, try adding a handful of chopped mint to the cooking water.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Fernie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 am

LOL It reminded me of when I first moved to Tn. back in the early 90's. Judy, who ran a Mom and Pop restraurant called Nana's used to use her recipes from home at the restaurant. She used to occassionally make Pinto Bean Pie where they would cook the pinto beans then mash or blend them---don't know which. The pie was good!! I even bought a whole pie to take back to Illinois one Christmas and none of my family would even try one bite of it!! ha
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am

Fernie wrote:LOL It reminded me of when I first moved to Tn. back in the early 90's. Judy, who ran a Mom and Pop restraurant called Nana's used to use her recipes from home at the restaurant. She used to occassionally make Pinto Bean Pie where they would cook the pinto beans then mash or blend them---don't know which. The pie was good!! I even bought a whole pie to take back to Illinois one Christmas and none of my family would even try one bite of it!! ha

Hmmmmm...any sweetness to it, or just the beans?

I could like that (assuming George wouldn't throw me out of the house for cooking it!!!) And there goes the healthy aspect, when you add Crisco for the pie crust!! It really sounds good, and you could take it further and add different layers of flavor (cilantro, cheese, ground beef...)

Hmmmmmmmmmm....
mitch5252

Return to Recipes