Instant Pot stew beef stroganoff

Instant Pot stew beef stroganoff

Postby MandysMom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Instant Pot Stew meat Stroganoff

My amounts are based on a big Costco package of stew beef, adjust based on how much you use, I think my package was 6 lbs

Stew meat/ beef cut in bite sized pieces amd browned on sauté in IP
I used avocado oil to sauté
Mushrooms cut in halves or quarters depending on size
Onion 1 medium diced
Worcestershire sauce 1 tbsp
Dijon mustard 1 tsp
Garlic powder 1/2 tsp or a clove or two
Onion dried flakes 1 tbsp punches up flavor
Marjoram optional I used 1/2 tsp 
Half a cube of real butter ( don't even bother with nasty margarine, the butter is for flavor because today's stew meat is so lean)
Water or broth 1/2 cup

I used beef setting reducing time to 20 min because meat was sautéed so partially done before cooking under pressure. I let pressure release naturally amd when tested meat was tender.

When meat tender I thickened broth with 1-1/2 tsp xanthum gum as its a low carb thickener approved for Keto way of eating amd I'm learning to use it. I added only 1/2 tsp at a time, stirring until I got thickness I wanted. 

Then either add sour cream by portion ( I knew I had leftover s and didn't want it to curdle with reheat so added sour cream a portion at a time.) or add to entire batch and stir until well mixed. 

I served mine over steamed cauliflower rice but son wanted noodles so I fixed enough for him. Even he, my picky eater, wanted seconds! That's a win in my book.  Served a simple green salad and it was a simple easy dinner, but for the time cutting meat, mushrooms and onion and browning meat. Once all in pot there was no stirring or fuss, just push button cooking in one pot except the noodles for son and a glass bowl for cauliflower, which I ate from as it was my one cup portion of cauliflower. 

This recipe is a winner in my book. I can see where I could brown meat and put all in pot and refrigerate in pot liner over night then put on a hour before dinner the next day adding maybe 5 min to cook time to compensate for cold ingredients. I wanted meat tender but not totally falling apart and was pleased my 20 min guess worked using warm pre browned beef.

Velda Solomon 
August 18, 2017
MandysMom

Re: Instant Pot stew beef stroganoff

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:51 pm

This sounds really good! Love beef stroganoff! Thanks for sharing :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm

I am going to make this....just as soon as I get cash, get to a grocery store and have electricity!lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I love my Instant Pot! Glad you are enjoying yours.
I mostly make soups, and cook organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts for my dog. I do hardboiled eggs, whole butternut squash, whole potatoes and bone broth.
I have done a cheesecake, but those can get addicting real fast!
AlmostThere

Return to Recipes