No tater or Faux potato salad

No tater or Faux potato salad

Postby MandysMom » Sun May 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Made a new recipe yesterday. Low carb and first taste had Mel declaring it a winner!
Basically you make your favorite potato salad but substitute cauliflower for potatoes.
I cut cauliflower in size about what I would have cut potatoes. I steamed in one of those expandable steamer baskets that fit down in a pan. Cooked until, just tender, then put in strainer to cool, briefly rinsing under cold water. While it cooled I diced onion, celery, dill pickle and hard boiled,eggs. Added salt, pepper, dill weed, and mayonnaise with a touch of heavy cream to thin. It's really good.

I also did a twist to coleslaw. I used package of the ready cut cabbage but added several grated radishes and a part of a grated English cucumber which I wrung out after grating, so it was not so moist. Mayonnaise plus a few drops of a Stevia sweetener. It's so good I could have sat and eaten the bowl full.

We are eating low carb high fat for its potential to help Mel's cancer and loving it and losing weight. It has greatly lowered the amount of insulin Mel needs to keep his blood sugar good and in fact his numbers are closer to what we call normal than they have been in years as a type1 diabetic, inspite of the fact that he manages intensively. Research is now showing fat does not raise cholesterol, carbohydrates do! Doing lots of reading on the nearly 100 years of research showing that is true and that we were scammed by the low fat lies. Not trying to start a controversy but sharing what I'm learning.
MandysMom

Re: No tater or Faux potato salad

Postby cnq50b » Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 pm

That faux potato salad sounds doable. I just may have to try it.
I've been trying to go low carb so something like this might taste really good about now.
Thanks for sharing it. :)
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby MandysMom » Mon May 29, 2017 3:19 am

Low carb is fabulous. I am in two groups who are very supportive. Once I decided, it took me about a week,of research and I was all in. Mel watched for two weeks and he is now all in. It is amazing how his many years unstable no matter what he did blood sugar has responded. Write me privately if you want some links.
Be sure to watch the cauliflower carefully as it can go tender to mush in a short time, which is ok if you want instead to make loaded cauliflower casserole, also fabulous.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Mon May 29, 2017 8:35 am

Velda, Steve & I have been on a low carb high protein diet for over two years and we both lost 40 pounds. We cut out potatoes, which we used to have everyday, breads, pastas, high carb veggies and all chips. We don't go hungry and we both had to buy an entire new wardrobe! Good luck to you and Mel!
Irmi

Postby MandysMom » Tue May 30, 2017 2:10 am

Thank you Irmi! It's good to have encouragement from someone who is on the same way of eating! I'm really hoping it buys Mel time and improves his chances in treatment.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby grammynmaggie » Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 am

I think I need to do this high-protein low-carb diet so what kind of foods do you eat...???
grammynmaggie

Postby Irmi » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Donna, any and all meats are good for you. We try to use bacon and sausages sparingly, but we still have them. We have eggs for breakfast and devilled eggs are always a staple in our house. Instead of having sandwiches, Steve has roll-ups, with lunchmeat and a piece of cheese. Nuts and fruits are snacks. We have lots of large salads and I often julienne chicken or ham on top, which makes a complete meal. Other meals might be a salad, meat of our choice (I make lots of meals in the crockpot) and a low carb veggie. We have cut out some of our favorites because of the carbs, such as corn, potatoes, and lima beans. Spinach, collard greens, kale, and green beans are wonderful vegetables and you will often see them on our table. By following a similar diet, you will quickly shed pounds and feel great! We started this diet three Easter's ago and although we have cheated, we don't do that often.
Irmi

Postby MandysMom » Tue May 30, 2017 2:25 pm

To clarify. We do Ketogenic which is moderate protein and is a refinement of Atkins diet based on 40 years of research since Dr Robert Atkins book came out. We choose Ketogenic because of the recent research on its affect on cancer. Atkins is high protein, Keto is moderate protein. We track carbohydrates through free apps by My Fitness Pal or Fat Secret. Keep carbs below 20 grams per day. Eat only when hungry. Eat only until satiated. Similar to Irmi amd Steve, but we don't eat fruit and eat only 2 c greens a day plus 1 c vegetables which grow above ground. Mel eats a very few measured on scale amount of nuts as needed to balance blood sugar (he is on insulin pump), I eat NO nuts. Unlike what we have been told for decades, there us NO medical or physiological need for carbohydrates- period.
Irmi, we eat much the same way you do, but we don't snack I have found the further I get on thus journey, like most on Keto, I have lost that 3 meal a day hunger. I eat 1 to 2 meals a day, drink water ( no juice or soda), sometimes tea, and my energy is increasing. Carbohydrates are the culprit in high cholesterol, NOT fat as we were told! Cholesterol will sometimes rise for a few months as fat is released and burned by the body because cholesterol is trapped/stored in fat cells. By about six months of strict Keto most find numbers dramatically improved. Type2 diabetics see numbers improve within days as the carbs get out of their system and they need to see Dr for drug reduction to avoid low blood sugar.the new ways of eating are miraculous. And easy as I'm sure Irmi will agree.
Velda
Last edited by MandysMom on Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Velda, I absolutely agree with you! We do not eat three meals a day. If we have a large lunch, we will have a small salad for dinner, or vice versa. If we have a large breakfast/brunch, again, we'll have a small salad if we have a hunger pain. I was just giving Donna a small variation of the menu we use. I also forgot to add to stay away from flour based foods, such as cookies, cakes & pies. That is why I snack on nuts & fruits for my sweets & salts.

This is a plan we decided on and we weren't following a book. We're staying away from the starchy foods and it has worked for us. And yes, as Velda said, this is easy. You will not go hungry.

Velda, I am so proud of what you & Mel are doing. I read the forum daily and am aware of your challenges.
Irmi

Postby MandysMom » Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 am

Thank you Irmi and thanks for thinking of us.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Recipes