Lemon Ice Box Cake

Lemon Ice Box Cake

Postby beazle » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 am

This is the dessert that was well-received when I brought it to the Frankenmuth GTG.

zest & juice of 2 lemons, separated
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, very soft
3 cups heavy whipping cream (hey, I'm from the dairy state!)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
25-30 whole graham crackers, I used the whole box
1 cup lemon curd, warmed slightly. (homemade or store bought)

In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp. lemon zest and 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Mix well and set aside, uncovered.
In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter until soft, add in the heavy cream and continue beating until smooth. Add sugar, salt and remaining lemon zest and whip until firm peaks. Gradually beat in lemon juice, beating until fully incorporated. The whip will still hold peaks, but may curdle a little; that's okay.
Place warmed lemon curd in a small zippie bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Snip off a little (less than 1/4 inch) at the bottom corner.
Spread a little (1/3 cup) lemon cream on the bottom of 13X9 pan. Layer about 6 graham crackers across the bottom on top of the cream. Spread about 3/4 - 1 cup of cream on top. Drizzle about 1/4 of the lemon curd over the cream layer. Continue layering crackers, cream and curd 3 more times, ending with the lemon curd. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. The crackers will absorb some liquid and soften to a cake-y consistency Just before serving, break up the lemon sugar with a fork and sprinkle it over top.
Refrigerate leftovers, and will keep for a few days refrigerated.
I imagine you could substitute Cool Whip, even the fat-free kind if desired. My mom always did, but for my first GTG I wanted to give it the "full treatment."
beazle

Re: Lemon Ice Box Cake

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Wow and with gluten free Graham's available, I could even eat it! Thanks
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Lemon Ice Box Cake

Postby snowball » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:29 pm

sounds really good
going to have to try it one day
sheila
snowball