Gratin Dauphinoise (Potatoes baked in cream)

Gratin Dauphinoise (Potatoes baked in cream)

Postby MandysMom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:18 am

I was searching for a easy gluten free scalloped potato recipe and came across versions of this recipe which were mostly similar.
I won't give you exact measurements because how much you fix depends on whether it's just you and your pup or going to a potluck.

They called for a 3 qt casserole at least 3 1/2 in deep, but I know many rv ovens are not that deep and many here cook for one or two. It is best to have dish as deep as you can. They asked for 3 1/2 lbs peeled potatoes into the dish. Decide on your dish and then decide on potatoes.
The idea is the potatoes release starch into the cream as it bakes and thickens as it cools slightly out of oven before serving.
Ingredients
Russet potatoes, sliced thinly
Garlic, chopped 3 cloves per 3 1/2 lbs potatoes
Onion, optional , sliced I used one small onion
Butter
Heavy cream ( really rich dish and I intend to try with half and half next time) took about 3 cups
Salt and pepper
Gruyere cheese, grated 2 cups

Butter the dish (gives flavor)
Starting with potatoes put layer slightly overlapped in bottom.
Salt and pepper to taste. Go light on salt as Gruyere is salty
Sprinkle with thin sliced onion if using.
Sprinkle with some garlic
Sprinkle with grated cheese
Pour a thin layer of cream over layer.
Repeat layers,to top of dish topping with cream, making sure when you push down on potatoes they are covered with cream. It will look like you have too much liquid but you don't.
Bake at 375 for "a good hour" it says. My toaster oven, a Breville, had it getting a little too brown by one hour so I lowered the temp to 350 for another 20 min till potatoes were tender and sauce getting thick. The recipe said turn temp up to brown but I had to lower as I said.
When potatoes were tender I took out of oven and let set on a hot pad while rest of dinner finished. By the time we ate it was still very hot, but no longer bubbling and had considerably thickened as the potatoes absorbed the cream and released more starch.
It only had a scant two cups of cheese in the 3 lbs of potatoes, yet tastes very cheesy. We really liked it, though it is so high calorie it is a sometimes dish. I plan to try it with half and half next time to see if it thickens or makes potato soup! Also might sometime try crockpot.
Caution. If you use a mandoline to slice potatoes, use a Kevlar glove to protect your hands. I don't like mandolins but hubby bought us 2!!! For Christmas our son gave his Dad a pair of Kevlar gloves made for kitchen. When hubby pulled out mandolin today I tried to hand him his new Kevlar. He said, nope don't need them. Do you see where this is going! Yep after just a potato or two I hear OUCH and a swear word. Turn around and he is holding his knuckle as blood runs down. I was so mad at him. But I was good. I asked how bad is it. He said not too bad. I said do you need stitches. He said no the skin is gone. I let him put pressure on it and finished the casserole. And oh yes asked will he wear Kevlar next time? He says yes! Argh!!!
;)
Last edited by MandysMom on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MandysMom

Re: Gratin Dauphinoise (Potatoes baked in cream)

Postby snowball » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 pm

so have you tried it with the half and half? wonder if half cream and half half and half would work?
still sounds good going to have to find an occasion that I can make it for
sheila
snowball

Re: Gratin Dauphinoise (Potatoes baked in cream)

Postby MandysMom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 am

I have not had a chance but now that you reminded me, I will put it on the menu for soon. They were yummy.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Recipes