Microwave chips

Microwave chips

Postby MandysMom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Mel and I were at Walmart Monday. He looked for and found a small mandolin. He bought me a big fancy expensive one a few years ago but we never drag it out because it's big and you have to change blades to adjust thickness while this one you turn a dial. Anyhow, a little while ago he went to kitchen to, I thought, check the pot roast. He was gone a while and when he returned he presented a plate of microwave potato chips, some with chili seasoning some nothing. Some sprayed lightly with olive oil some plain. They were delicious. Then he made sweet potato chips. Yumm! He used a flat chip making plate we paid too much for from Pampered Chef, but which I later I found I could buy for half on Amazon. Really easy and this mandolin would fit flat in a drawer and be useful. Took 3 to 5 min to cook each batch. Low cal, high fiber ESP sweet potato. He made some sweets with cinnamon sugar. nice treat costs only the cost of a single potato per batch.
Velda
PS he said key to crispness is drying chips with paper towel before cooking.
MandysMom

Re: Microwave chips

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:19 am

mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Yes that is the plate though ours came with out mandolin and with a price double that! :o
Here is the Tajin spice we liked on sweet potato chips. It's mildly chili with a hint of lime.
http://www.amazon.com/Tajin-Fruit-Snack ... +seasoning

We liked the sweet potato with either cinnamon sugar or the Tajin. Not bad plain either. I think a finely ground spice sticks better but may try Mrs Dash sometime, which is coarser.
I also have a really old chip maker for microwave but it requires standing potato pieces up on edge and they tend to sag and fold as they begin to cook, so hubby likes this flat one better. He cooks maybe two min then flips them then and cooks a min or so at a time until done . The thinner you cut the crispier they get. They were all golden and toasty when he finished. I thought he had finished in toaster to brown but he said nope they browned in microwave. I think it's something about the dark plate that helps browning.
He did not peel the potatoes, just scrubbed and sliced. He reminded me twice to dry them well before adding seasoning and cooking, said its key to crispness.
It's neat because you are not just digging into a fat and salt laden bag and forget to stop until your hand reaches bottom, you are cutting, drying, and plating and seasoning and microwaving so you have more awareness of how much you are eating. And only so many fit on the plate to cook!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 am

I got some of that seasoning at Smith's in Vegas (which is a Kroger store) not in the spice aisle though in the
produce area :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:51 am

My grocery here carries it. I put the link for people to know which I meant. Tonight Mel made sweet potato chips to test. One batch no oil. One he used olive oil spray. And last he brushed both sides with olive oil. The latter tasted good but of course higher calorie. The no oil was bland but real crisp. The spray one seemed just right! Need more spuds. LOL
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:40 pm

I made chips a couple of times using a Corning plate. They came out ok but not real crisp. I will have to try drying them more. I want to try this with sweet potatoes.

I think it was Dawn talking about the thing that makes strings out of vegetables so I had to get one. I use it on a zucchini, put some butter on it and cook in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes. A low calorie vegetable if you don't put too much butter on it. I wonder if it would work on potatoes to make hash browns.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I think one reason this plate works is because it has holes all over it. Holes are maybe 1/2 in diameter and the platter has little legs on it so air gets under allowing the steam to escape, using the ones. Not sure but thinking about that, we have a micro safe bacon rack, wonder if that would work too. Have to suggest to husband. His chips cut on the thinnest setting on the mandolin were the crispest.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Liz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:11 pm

And I thought a mandolin was a stringed instrument, lol. Was having trouble making the connection to potato chips.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Ha ha Liz. Yep it's ,one of those words with more than one meaning. This one he found at Walmart. Its a flat,hand held frame with a blade across it which is adjustable from thick to potato chip thin. Has a guard to hold food to protect fingers and a handler shaped for your hand. He really likes his purchase and it's so much easier than the big table,top expensive one he bought years ago. I think we paid $19.99 for this one vs nearly $200 for the one we never use.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Liz wrote:And I thought a mandolin was a stringed instrument, lol. Was having trouble making the connection to potato chips.

:lol: :lol: I thought the same thing!! Had to google it. :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure a mandolin is a musical instrument, while a mandolinE is the kitchen tool that swiftly and deftly removes the tips of fingers...

Don't ask me how I know that last little bit of information...

mitch5252

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:03 pm

I also had one then those big expensive mandolins... I never used it it was a pain
sold it at one of the yard sales last year... then last winter when my sister was here
I found a small flat (pink) mandolin at another yard sale I went to... it was a dollar
I don't think it had ever been used... now I use this thing all the time... I would love to make some of those chips... but I don't have a flat plate... guess I will be on the lookout for one of those
grammynmaggie

Postby MandysMom » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:23 am

I agree with you Mitch on its supposed to have an E but every time I tried that the silly iPad changed it and took out the E so i finally gave up and let iPad have it's own way on the spelling! LOL

Tonight at store I got 3 medium beets. There is a blog The Fit Rv where I saw a recipe for beet chips. She cooked hers in 400 degree oven but I thought I would try on the microwave plate just to see. Let you know. Got too busy tonight as Mel had brined, then rubbed, then smoked 15 lbs of pork shoulder in our Memphis pellet grill smoker oven. When it comes off we have (read he has to) break it down remove visible fat and shred for me to package for freezer. There is a reason his initials are MD because he always has to have an assistant in such endeavors even if the assistant mainly stands giving moral support. Now I have small bags of both sauced and plain meat in freezer for many meals ahead. So tomorrow will be beet chip day.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby sharon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 am

I'll take a plate of the pork, no sauce, along with my beet chips, please and thank you! :D
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby MandysMom » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 am

Chips and pork,coming up Sharon, as I pass a plate. :D
The beet chips were difficult to get crisp in microwave. So Mel,got them basically cooked but still a little soft and then put them in toaster convection oven on 200 degrees for about 20 min and they were crisp and tasty. Still like sweet potato best.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Recipes